When are the 2022 receivers coming out? What is the one to get?

NewAcousticDimension

Clearly owning one I am biased

On the contrary, your bias is well founded!

It supports all the sound formats except IMAX and Auro.

It also has the two presets for Audyssey and amp assign.

It ticks every box. But I'd be scared to buy one because the Denon specs say that it doesn't have "high grade audio components".

Hence the question I posted on the x1700 thread:

Shnig

In Ireland, for whatever reason, I can get them at the exact same price new so obviously the "higher grade" 2700 makes more sense.

Jay53

In Ireland, for whatever reason, I can get them at the exact same price new so obviously the "higher grade" 2700 makes more sense.

Depends on your sources as 2020 x2700 only has one hdmi 2.1 input which has had quite a few teething issues. The x1700 came out later and uses a completely different hdmi 2.1 board which appears to have sorted all the issues as well as being having 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs

Tbh it's a bit sneaky as it means the x1700 is technically better than x2700/x3700/x4700 when it comes to hdmi 2.1 source support.

Denon have released a 3 way hdmi 2.1 switch box that works with the x2700 and above but they would like £180 for the privilege of getting the same hdmi 2.1 functionality as the x1700. But steep imho

Last edited:

Shnig

I thought they sorted the hdmi issues on the 2700 and it was only early serial numbers (since taken off shelves) that were affected?

Jay53

I thought they sorted the hdmi issues on the 2700 and it was only early serial numbers (since taken off shelves) that were affected?

New ones will have been sorted and would not require the external box to 'sort' out issues with the likes of xbox that funnily enough work fine without going through the earlier x2700.

I was just giving the bigger picture should someone be picking up one 2nd hand that may or may not come with the external single in single out adaptor.

Either old stock + single adaptor box or new stock, it's still an inferior hdmi 2.1 capability than the x1700 :(

Shnig

New ones will have been sorted and would not require the external box to 'sort' out issues with the likes of xbox that funnily enough work fine without going through the earlier x2700.

I was just giving the bigger picture should someone be picking up one 2nd hand that may or may not come with the external single in single out adaptor.

Either old stock + single adaptor box or new stock, it's still an inferior hdmi 2.1 capability than the x1700 :(
Yeah, that makes sense. For users such as myself whose usage case do not require more than one HDMI 2.1 port; when they are the same price, zecks would have me believe that the 2700 is a better buy. I don't know whether the "higher grade audio components" is bourne out in the real world, however it is certainly a more powerful amp at least (not that my particular speakers need the extra wattage).

Shnig

One more difference is the 2700 has "isf Certified Calibration Control" whatever difference that makes because I thought they had the same calibration version?

ThetaX55

I have a old 4k non hdr onkyo.
Seems ok.
A few issues.
One device seems to have some sort of off shift, it uses old resolutions.. The second in seems ok. IDK if it's the device or the receiver. The other consoles seem to play find on that. At one time it was ok.
Also the receiver likes to make a clicking sound once in a wile.
IDK what brand to go with now.
The newer one would make more sense.
The 8k ports in the old one's are few. I am going with 8k hdmi 2.1 ports mostly. Hey there backwards anyways. I plan on getting a xbox series x so the c1 will be full.
I grabbed the svs basic pack thinking they will last me. Does speakers really change. The new ones seem to have bluetooth like i care for that.
Why do they want to make them so big. Does the receiver itself need to be as much as a tv, it just does sound. I get a bit of help with the household that use it wile im at work.
Just need a upgrade. Hopefully i find a good deal to pick one up in the end of the year.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Still waiting.
Any news yet?

Do you think that the manufacturers will decide to launch new models this year after reading your post?

It is basically looking very unlikely that you'll see anything new brought to the market this year.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What makes you say that?

Have you seen any new models announced and the fact that manufacturering in general is still suffering the adverse effects that resulted from the pandemic.

Things may never return to the way they were done and you may have to wait several years between new models being introduced? Let's face it, was there any need to replace models each and every year?

N1ck

Not seen or heard any announcements, but how much notice would we have got before anyway?
I know there’s the chip shortage etc but that doesn’t stop development. I don’t see why they wouldn’t introduce a new model other than if they don’t need to because demand is outstripping supply.
Before they would introduce models to stop stagnating sales and get people to ‘upgrade’.

Nutty667

There isn't any new tech to release a model for though is there? Newest models already do 8K/4K 120hz and support all the HDR formats.
Other than tweaks on inputs/power/room correction/yet another streaming format, I can't see them being much different to what's currently available.

I agree with people probably keeping older receivers for longer.
I always thought when I upgraded to a 4K TV I'd replace my non 4k receiver. But since ARC works well enough I don't see any reason to.
Even if I was going to buy a 4K Bluray player, you can get ones with dual HDMI out, which I assume lets you route picture to TV and audio to receiver independently.

simon194

I always thought when I upgraded to a 4K TV I'd replace my non 4k receiver. But since ARC works well enough I don't see any reason to.
Even if I was going to buy a 4K Bluray player, you can get ones with dual HDMI out, which I assume lets you route picture to TV and audio to receiver independently.
I thought the same when I got my first 4K TV in 2017 but I still kept my old 2014 Yamaha A2040 until 2019 when I came across an A3080 in a SSAV clearance sale for £700 below RRP.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Also to be taken into consideration is that AV receivers are not selling in the same volumes as they used to be. To put it bluntly, they are looking a little old fashioned compared to the sound bar, to many people.
Fortunately, like many on this forum I am not one of those people and really enjoy my Yamaha 3080 for watching movies on my 120 inch screen.

NewAcousticDimension

To put it bluntly, they are looking a little old fashioned compared to the sound bar, to many people.

Brilliant, how funny, but probably true!

If there had been some revolution in science where tiny speakers with tiny amps could suddenly do something that they couldn't before, then maybe I'd agree :)

But I guess it's about "lifestyle" options... the balance between how nice your lounge looks versus what it sounds like.

simon194

Brilliant, how funny, but probably true!

If there had been some revolution in science where tiny speakers with tiny amps could suddenly do something that they couldn't before, then maybe I'd agree :)

But I guess it's about "lifestyle" options... the balance between how nice your lounge looks versus what it sounds like.
There's also the "wife factor". My ex used to complain when I only had a 5.1 setup, god knows what it would have been like now I have a 7.1.4 setup.

Being happily divorced has it's advantages. 😀

ThetaX55

They make new stuff every year.
I only assume they will again.
There was a 2021 model and before then they only offered 1 8k input which was kinda lame.. Why 2021 offered 3 8k. It should be all 8k input.
Who won last year denon or onkyo? or something else.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Both Denon and Onkyo (and their sister brands) - have sold most of the stuff they could make...

Both are working with 2021 models

There have been remours from both with regards to new models...

For Denon/Marantz - the rumours are around a possible xx800 family to be announced 3rd Qtr and maybe release 4th qtr
The biggest rumour, is that D&M will jump ship to Dirac - but this is pure hearsay

For Onkyo, there was some intention, late last year, to announce and then release their flagship models.... - so the 2021 range included the mid market Dirac models NR7100 & RZ50 - the early 2022 plans were originally to announce the RZ70 & RZ90 flagship models - and sister brand equivalents.

But it never happened - no one has any solid info - there were some rumours emanating from Dirac, that the new Flagship models were going to include new Room EQ software (Dirac Unison?) - but nothing more to substantiate it.

If there will be 2022 AVR's/Prepro's, they will most likely be announced in late 3rd Qtr, and some stock (limited) might become available towards the end of the year.

Having said all that... Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer 2021 models arrived in Australia in early 2022 - I purchased an Integra DRX 3.4 - what I wanted from it was a good pre-pro, with current formats, HDMI 2.1, and Dirac - power for surrounds and heights being onboard is a bonus - but my mains were always going to be run by my external power amps.

Improvement in performance over my 2013 & 2008 AVR's was dramatic - and primarily down to Dirac

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Sky, NOW and Paramount+ UK for September 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Pro-Ject Audio launches X2 B turntable
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Clearaudio launches Reference Jubilee turntable