When are Epson's next-gen projectors due?

phAge

As it looks like my current TW9200 has given up the ghost (dust blob, great) I'm possibly looking for a replacement.

Despite the issue with dust, I very much like what Epson's projectors offer, price/performance-wise, so could well be looking for another one from them.

Do we have any idea when Epson are planning the release of their next batch of projectors - and would it make sense to wait till then?

The current flagship from them (the TW9400) is now more than a year old and, as these things seem to never drop in price, is almost as much as when it launched - so if a replacement is just around the corner, waiting a few months might be worth it?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Next year likely as thats probably when JVC will refresh too.
Hopefully there will be HDMI 2.1 projectors by then.

I'm in the same boat. I think PJs are best to buy at launch because they just don't drop in value until the newer ones are released. A bit like apple products.

phAge

Next year likely as thats probably when JVC will refresh too.
Hopefully there will be HDMI 2.1 projectors by then.

I'm in the same boat. I think PJs are best to buy at launch because they just don't drop in value until the newer ones are released. A bit like apple products.
Any idea when? Of course COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works, but I assume these things usually launch around the same time each year?

alebonau

Agree with above comments

epson like benq is having a gap year ... most makers taken easy route. with COVID .. not really the year to be releasing new projectors. Jvc doing a firmware update, Sony brought out fake new model many argue shoulda been just a firmware update :D

epson is long overdue keeping in mind the current model still uses the 1080p dark chip basis of the old 1080p model from decade ago. Not to say not able to achieve great result on that - am a past epson owner myself ... twice !

5 years down the track of 4k uhd I wonder when epson will do a native 4k machine ? They had a great laser model they let go... epson is a giant in the projector makers. They are typically slow and last to embrace ... I remember the same with 3D or full bandwidth hdmi even with current gen. But we can only hope get there.

things like native 4k & laser all things they do in commercial world, no doubt add significant cost .. but hope they do as we need more options to give folks choice. They make great affordable projectors too so hope they keep those ! As that choice very much needed too

phAge

Agree with above comments

epson like benq is having a gap year ... most makers taken easy route. with COVID .. not really the year to be releasing new projectors. Jvc doing a firmware update, Sony brought out fake new model many argue shoulda been just a firmware update :D

epson is long overdue keeping in mind the current model still uses the 1080p dark chip basis of the old 1080p model from decade ago. Not to say not able to achieve great result on that - am a past epson owner myself ... twice !

5 years down the track of 4k uhd I wonder when epson will do a native 4k machine ? They had a great laser model they let go... epson is a giant in the projector makers. They are typically slow and last to embrace ... I remember the same with 3D or full bandwidth hdmi even with current gen. But we can only hope get there.

things like native 4k & laser all things they do in commercial world, no doubt add significant cost .. but hope they do as we need more options to give folks choice. They make great affordable projectors too so hope they keep those ! As that choice very much needed too
Right - that makes sense. When during the year does Epson usually release new projectors? If it's during spring I might hold out, but if I'm looking at almost a year for a new model to arrive in stores, I'll probably look at the TW9400 instead.

alebonau

Right - that makes sense. When during the year does Epson usually release new projectors? If it's during spring I might hold out, but if I'm looking at almost a year for a new model to arrive in stores, I'll probably look at the TW9400 instead.

anyone would only be guessing ! there are 3 shows that happen IFA(sept), Cedia (oct), CES (Jan) they can announce at anyone of those. the 9300 though was announced 4 years ago ! in April. the 9400 last year in Jan-April...I dont think it hit the shops till mid year though ? some other might confirm

big question though is given it took them 3 years to go from 9300 to 9400 why are they going to update it next year ? hdmi 2.1 ? epson never leads the pack... were one of the last to update their hdmi chips set to full bandwidth ? id suspect be one of last to get 2.1 as well ? might be wrong on that but suspect the 9400 is here to stay for a while

fi anything i expect a laser or native 4k instead ? but price wise thats going to be significantly more than the 9400 ? look what the native 1080p laser cost ? going to be some factors up from that :)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
How does an Epson lazer projector compared to a Sony lazer projector contrast wise?

alebonau

How does an Epson lazer projector compared to a Sony lazer projector contrast wise?

there is no epson laser projector anymore... there used to be the LS10000/10500 its still lcd so contrast wise still not quite up vs the lcos of sony/jvc. it was also quite low lumen at 1500

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The next refresh will be interesting. if the OLED 88'' price can come down to sub 20k.. say 15k.. it would be interesting to see what this does to sales of JVC NX7 + Lumagen or NX9 + Video processor if users are only casting a 100'' screen or so.

I think projection's time is probably limited. Lazer is the next step up but the price for 4K alone is a huge, and projection seems to be limtied to how they can solve this. Add in the lacking features like Dolby Vision and only JVC doing DTM at the moment... Its just looking like the value for money in projection is slowly going and getting severely challenged by the emergence of HDR.

£2.5k gets you Epson 9400 which is old, 1080p e shift to 4k which doesnt translate well for video games, no hdmi 2.1, limited contrast and black level with no DTM and just a HDR slider.. and a HDR colour filter which nearly halves light output.. which is a problem when most content is HDR for newer blurays and netflix content.

Then we have £6.5k as the next price jump to JVC NX5 which is a fairly big price.

£4.5k now gets you a 77'' OLED.

I still for people projecting 110'' images+ but for those projection enthusiasts casting smaller images.. I feel unless the manufacturing and pricing has a darastic change. projection is going to sadly become even more niche.

GrazzaB

I think projection will be around for quite a while as I don’t know anyone who would feel comfortable having a 75” or larger TV in their living room. But I take your point in a dedicated room if you would be going for a 90” or similar screen size.

alebonau

Mike on avs suggest there will be an epson released next year... what that is ... is anyones guess at this point ,

Mike Garrett said:
Epson already told us that they would have a new projector next year. I would like to think they are referring to native 4K. I suspect it will be LCD, rather than LCOQ.

I think projection will be around for quite a while as I don’t know anyone who would feel comfortable having a 75” or larger TV in their living room. But I take your point in a dedicated room if you would be going for a 90” or similar screen size.

agree 100% anything like even 77" is impossing a size for a living room...why motorised screens come into own with projector as discretely roll up out of way... same way can't hide a big TV !

agree re a dedicated room a 77" is kind of going to be lost on other hand... unless its a small room .... eg media room or some such... rather than home theatre...

phAge

Mike on avs suggest there will be an epson released next year... what that is ... is anyones guess at this point ,

Mike Garrett said:
Epson already told us that they would have a new projector next year. I would like to think they are referring to native 4K. I suspect it will be LCD, rather than LCOQ.
Epsons previous flagship models have all launched at the same price point - should we expect this trend to continue, even with a native 4K unit, when the next step up from the 9400 launches?

alebonau

Epsons previous flagship models have all launched at the same price point - should we expect this trend to continue, even with a native 4K unit, when the next step up from the 9400 launches?

if its going away from 1080p basis which goes back a decade with epson ie same dark chip to new 4k panel... I simply cant see them holding the same price point. epson does massive volumes and hence it will be more attractively priced than jvc or sony...however they still have to recoup what will be development costs for a new 4k platform. likely need new light engine. new optics, chasis, cooling lamp assembly etc.. bit like JVC made move from pixel shifting 1080p to native 4k and price went up around 20-30%?

bytehoven

For anyone predisposed to favor screen size above other considerations, a larger panel alternative may be a waste of their time.

Our small HT at 16'×25', two rows of seating, has transitioned well to a 77cx.

I would love to see Epson make a compelling splash.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom