When an ordinary member of the public ......

Did you look at the comments? Every highly rated comment was in support of Joan Woolard. There is hope for the Daily Mail readership yet.

'A lot of people will be saying "Go to hell Barclays", because a lot of people regard Barclays and the board as just a bunch of crooks' - Joan Woolard, 75.

It rather echoes something that I might have said! :smashin:

MikeTV said:
'A lot of people will be saying "Go to hell Barclays", because a lot of people regard Barclays and the board as just a bunch of crooks' - Joan Woolard, 75.

I guess that proves that Joan Woolard knows as much about the law as you do!

la gran siete said:
expresses the sentiment held by tens of thousands .If only she had directed iut at the investment banking industry in general
Pensioner Joan Woolard criticises Barclays millionaire chiefs to rapturous applause at bank's AGM | Mail Online

I have no love for Bankers, anymore than any other corporate, but people are clearly being given a bum steer. The real culprits got away without a scratch. If these protestors had any sense they would be sat outside the Bank of England in Threadneedle Street, or camped out on Tony Blair/Gordon Browns Lawn.

That they reserve their anger for Barclays is just funny. They have been well and truly tricked by politicians and the media.

Did you look at the comments? Every highly rated comment was in support of Joan Woolard. There is hope for the Daily Mail readership yet.

she is a gutsy woman for sure.I only wish more would show her commitment.I would like to see these banks and ,maybe,other major corporations have a considerable Government presence so that remunerations and bonuses can be far better controlled as they are in Norway.I think the public are growing heartily sick of all this pay bonanza, especially at a time like this

la gran siete said:
she is a gutsy woman for sure.I only wish more would show her commitment.I would like to see these banks and ,maybe,other major corporations have a considerable Government presence so that remunerations and bonuses can be far better controlled as they are in Norway.I think the public are growing heartily sick of all this pay bonanza, especially at a time like this

I'm the public and I'm not growing sick of it. I'm growing sick of the asset buying by the BoE and the free money issued to banks with the states blessing which they make interest on. That's how they pay themselves lots of money. However you have failed to differentiate financial sectors. A generic banking doesn't exist.

From Douglas Carswell's blog:

Stimulus growth is an illusion
The economy grew by 0.3 percent in the first three months of this year. At that rate, by 2015 we might just about have returned to where output was in 2008.

Each year, the government is injecting over £100 billion more money into the economy through its fiscal policy.

It is keeping interest rates low to encourage us to spend and borrow and invest. It has handed banks a mind boggling £350 billion plus of QE money. It has run an £80 billion business lending scheme.

It would be extraordinary if, with all that stimulus, output was still falling.

My fear is that all this stimulus is unsustainable. All that overspending means government debt. All that cheap credit is discouraging businesses from paying off debts, and storing up trouble ahead. Like cholesterol in the economic arteries, one layer of malinvestment builds up upon another.

How much of the recovery is real growth, and how much is going to prove to be sustained by candy floss credit?

In fact, I am starting to think much of the post-2007 stimulus is simply making thing worse.

In the 1970s, fiscal activism failed to engineer real, lasting growth. So, too, monetary activism today.

(See, some Tories do actually tell the truth and a willing to say so despite it being an end to any thoughts of being in cabinet ).

Last edited:
I'm the public and I'm not growing sick of it. I'm growing sick of the asset buying by the BoE and the free money issued to banks with the states blessing which they make interest on. That's how they pay themselves lots of money. However you have failed to differentiate financial sectors. A generic banking doesn't exist.

From Douglas Carswell's blog:

Stimulus growth is an illusion
The economy grew by 0.3 percent in the first three months of this year. At that rate, by 2015 we might just about have returned to where output was in 2008.

Each year, the government is injecting over £100 billion more money into the economy through its fiscal policy.

It is keeping interest rates low to encourage us to spend and borrow and invest. It has handed banks a mind boggling £350 billion plus of QE money. It has run an £80 billion business lending scheme.

It would be extraordinary if, with all that stimulus, output was still falling.

My fear is that all this stimulus is unsustainable. All that overspending means government debt. All that cheap credit is discouraging businesses from paying off debts, and storing up trouble ahead. Like cholesterol in the economic arteries, one layer of malinvestment builds up upon another.

How much of the recovery is real growth, and how much is going to prove to be sustained by candy floss credit?

In fact, I am starting to think much of the post-2007 stimulus is simply making thing worse.

In the 1970s, fiscal activism failed to engineer real, lasting growth. So, too, monetary activism today.

(See, some Tories do actually tell the truth and a willing to say so despite it being an end to any thoughts of being in cabinet ).
Simon Carswell is a dork I can't even be bothered to read his tripe

la gran siete said:

Another well thought through critique of economics from LGS....
:facepalm:

la gran siete said:

Well luckily it isn't Simon Carswell whoever he is ?

If you had read that brief blog you would have seen that he is condemning the money printing that rained down free money for the banks and condemned his own Governments economic policies.

karkus30 said:
Well luckily it isn't Simon Carswell whoever he is ?

If you had read that brief blog you would have seen that he is condemning the money printing that rained down free money for the banks and condemned his own Governments economic policies.

I look forward to a sudden conversion from LGS, and his praise of the straight talking from Douglas 'Simon' Carswell.

Squiffy said:
I look forward to a sudden conversion from LGS, and his praise of the straight talking from Douglas 'Simon' Carswell.

Only when the traffic wardens freeze over.

Maybe we can all go to county council AGM's and bitch about the obscene pay/payoffs that they're all getting. Get that in all the left wing papers. After all, unlike Barclays its our money they're gorging on!

Sigh...not sure why I am bothering, but here goes.

Barclays has fired all their senior heads who have been involved in any of the scandals of the last few years and replaced them. They commissioned an independent report which identified numerous problems with the culture and operating model in the organisation. Yesterday at the same AGM, they shared their response to the independent report which confirmed that they are going to implement every single one of the recommendations made by it. This includes significant changes to compensation, such as removal of all incentives to sell products in exchange for bonuses, as well as many many more changes.

Let's face it though, it doesn't matter what a bank does, some people will never acknowledge that changes and improvements are occurring.

kav said:
Sigh...not sure why I am bothering, but here goes.

Barclays has fired all their senior heads who have been involved in any of the scandals of the last few years and replaced them. They commissioned an independent report which identified numerous problems with the culture and operating model in the organisation. Yesterday at the same AGM, they shared their response to the independent report which confirmed that they are going to implement every single one of the recommendations made by it. This includes significant changes to compensation, such as removal of all incentives to sell products in exchange for bonuses, as well as many many more changes.

Let's face it though, it doesn't matter what a bank does, some people will never acknowledge that changes and improvements are occurring.

They have actually handcuffed the banks and the potential for helping the UK economy. If the bloody state and Central Bank would stop messing with money expansion and remove all the guarantees, the banks could operate with minimal regulation. All this just to preserve the states economic control and the BoE while trying to achieve popularity by being tough on banks. Its pathetic.

The banking horse only has one leg and they have tied that to the stalls. Now we are listening to EU directives to curb bonuses and create an overpaid/ under performing banking sector with a costly transaction tax payable by the customer of course.

karkus30 said:
They have actually handcuffed the banks and the potential for helping the UK economy. If the bloody state and Central Bank would stop messing with money expansion and remove all the guarantees, the banks could operate with minimal regulation. All this just to preserve the states economic control and the BoE while trying to achieve popularity by being tough on banks. Its pathetic.

The banking horse only has one leg and they have tied that to the stalls. Now we are listening to EU directives to curb bonuses and create an overpaid/ under performing banking sector with a costly transaction tax payable by the customer of course.

The transaction tax won't happen - as currently proposed it would destroy huge swathes of the financial markets.

As usual, lots of populist headlines with little common sense or understanding of the implications!
:nono:

sidicks said:
The transaction tax won't happen - as currently proposed it would destroy huge swathes of the financial markets.

As usual, lots of populist headlines with little common sense or understanding of the implications!
:nono:

I hope not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom