Wheel clamp advice

Xenomorph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a caravan which I'd like to protect from theft. While I appreciated that no physical security device can ever completely prevent theft, what would you recommend? And how do thieves normally tackle clamps? Do they destroy the lock, or just cut through the metal?
Already got a hitch lock on it to make towing away difficult. Also had an internal alarm and tracker fitted.
Just wondering about other security measures. Wheel clamps seemed the next obvious one.

Thanks. Looks good. I'm going to get a wheel clamp for each wheel, hitchlock, plus steady locks on each corner.
I figure if they get through that lot, then absolutely nothing is stopping them nicking it!
You may think that's overkill, but it's a small price to protect something that for me was a major investment. Plus it was very difficult to get hold the exact model we wanted.

Are caravans being stolen a thing?

Very much so, friends parents bought a new one fully kitted out as a retirement present, had it a few months and it was stolen, stripped and chassis dumped.

Oh yes. Was talking to a couple who stored their caravan at a supposedly secure site. Thieves took 1.5 hours to remove all security devices. Towed it straight off the site.
Funny thing is their van was surrounded by other new ones, which the thieves didn't touch. I think they are stolen to order.

Wow.

motorway service stations is the place to be on the alert for caravans being stolen
it doesn't take much to un hitch from your vehicle and hitch it to another and drive off
if you can help it never leave your caravan unattended at a service station

Many years ago we had a Van Royce and we were parked up at the Membury services west bound. We were walking towards the services when we heard one of our dogs barking. Went back to the car and there was a guy 'admiring our lovely caravan'. After that we never left it unattended. Lucky the windows were left open a bit for the dog.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom