Whch plasma is best for SD picture quality?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Sach, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking for a 42" plasma for wall mounting my bedroom. Whilst I'd like it to be HD ready (for future proofing), I'm really only interested in a TV which provides an excellent Sky SD picture (which I'll be connecting via RF with the magic eye).

I will be wall mounting it in a relatively small room, so the ability to mount it close to the wall is important.

Any suggestions on TV's with appropriate mounts would be much appreciated.

My budget is £1000, ideally less.

Thanks
    Sachin

2. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi

Just a quick just how close are you going to be it

IMHO if its around 6 feet id stick with the Panny 37, if its SD viewing youre gonna see a lot of imperfections on a 42"

regards

3. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, it will opposite our bed, so assuming 6ft bed plus say 3 feet to the wall, so around 9 foot.

Does the Panasonic 37 have the same rear access issues that I've read about the 42's, making it difficult to get close to the wall?

Thanks
    Sach

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    Panny 42PX70 is a cracker....

5. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,927
    on my sammy ps42q97hd i see no picture imperfections on SD at all..... but that is via RGB Scart so maybe different to RF...

you can get this TV for less than £700 these days... quality set..!!

6. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Is there any way of connect a 2nd set from 1 Sky box by not using the RF2 connector? Currently my SD Sky box has scart out to my lounge TV and scart 2 out to my PC for video capture.

Is there such thing as an RF to scart connector, and would that make any difference to my picture quality?

Thanks

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Composite output (RF) from any Sky box is going to look horrid on a 42" plasma. The standard Sky receivers have 2 scart outputs, only the one labelled TV is capable of outputting RGB (when selected in the picture menu). The other one is always composite. You cannot convert the composite output to make it much better despite claims from various upscaling AV receiver manufacturers. The composite output is just dire and you have to live with that.

You can split the RGB output from the TV Scart output. The JS Technology Active Video buffer does it well.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Another vote for the Samsung PS42Q97HDX, fantastic value for money. £700 and the picture on SD is as good as it gets if you ask me

9. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Although lacking speakers a panel plasma such as the Panasonic PH10 would be an ideal choice. The PH series are professional displays aimed at businesses showing static images and are therefore more robust than the consumer PX range. A pair of budget hi-fi speakers would suffice for sound.

The inputs point downwards and it's not difficult to plug and unplug leads. My PH9 is only about 4-5 inches from the wall on its bracket. At 9ft a 42" is ideal.

The only hiccup is the RF feed. As Piers has said the PQ will be awful. You really need to feed it a RGB signal and I would also recommend a JS Tech solution.

Your subject line asked the question. The PH series are amongst the best available and are within your budget even after incuding the extras.

10. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also recommend the Panasonic PH10 as they are so cheap considering how good they are.

Also, don't bother buying one if you can only connect it up via RF. It really will be *THAT* bad. You have to use RGB scart or at the very least s-video if you want to get a picture that's half decent.

11. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all advise and suggestions thus far...

Ok, so RF is bad...my Hyundai 32" LCD in the bedroom is running on RF and the picture does suck real bad...this will be going in the kitchen and sadly will be running on RF as there's really no other option...

Seeing as the main Sky box and where I will be mounting the plasma are quite far away (too far to run a scart, and impossible to hide), would the next best option be Sky Multiroom where I will be able to connect via RGB?

I really want a panel with built in speakers, so I think the PH10 is not an option.

So, for around £700, what's it to be...the Sammy or the Panny?

Cheers
    Sach

12. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    And if you think it looks bad on a 32" then imagine how much worse it will look on a 42". It's a non-starter really.

I don't have Multi-room myself but I understand it uses a second Sky box so I imagine it will be able to output RGB.

The PH10 is available with slim speakers which clip to each side of the screen. Don't dismiss the PH10 just because of the speaker situation. It offers considerably better PQ than the PX series and you did ask for advice on a screen that gives the best PQ. ;)

If it can't be the PH10 then the PX70 is probably your best bet.

13. GrandmasterD

GrandmasterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi there,

I have Multiroom. What it gives you is an extra sky box. Someone will come out and upgrade your dish and run a new wire to your new box.

It will cost an extra £10 a month but you will then have two sky boxes, so you can watch foottie in the one room and a chick flick in the other.:smashin:

If you have the movie package or sports package or both combined I would STRONGLY reccomend getting Sky+ as it will still only cost the extra £10 a month and you will have Sky+.

If you don't have movies etc it will cost you (without Sky+) your normal amount + £10. If you don't have moives etc (and get Sky+) it will cost you £10 for multiroom and another £10 for Sky+. The Sky+ fee is waived if you have the movie, sports or mix package.

Through RF it will look terrible and I can only pray that you do find a way to use RGB scart.

How far away is the box currently? Would one of these work?

Flat Scarts

They are quite expensive (£70 for 20m cable) but the positive thing to this is that you will not have to enter into another 12 month contract with Sky.

All depends on what you want really...

Oh, and after looking around etc I have bought the Samsung PS42Q97HD for £680, there is a thread showing the PX70 for £699 but that is without the pedestal. If you are wall mounting then the PX70 would prob be the best bet but this TV with the pedastal is around £800.

I will be having my TV on a stand so the pedestal is important to me and I don't think (IMHO) that the Panny is £100 better than the Sammy but if I was wall mounting and the TV's are the same price (as they are now) I would prob chose the Panny.

Have you seen the TV's in a shop at all?

Edit: Just seen you are wall mounting. In that case I would probably sway towards the PX70 as they are apparently a bit better than the Sammy in SD.

14. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks so much to everyone for their input and advice on this thread.

I think I will go for the PX70 as I'll be wall mounting. I've also decided to go down the route of 'trying' the RF option as it's the cleanest solution at the moment with no drilling holes etc. If I find I can't live with it (most likely), I will have to look at either multiroom or a long scart solution.

GrandmasterD - if I'm not mistaken, Sky+ subscription has been free since 1st July, so there's no need to have the movies package. Thanks for your long scart suggestions - I'll definitely consider this option if it comes to this solution.

Cheers
    Sach

15. Keith@MoleEnd

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    At the risk of repeating what has already been said on a different thread, may I ask those lucky members out there who have the Pioneer PDP4280XD, whether they consider the Pioneer to be a suitable candidate in answer to Sach's question. I have been trying, in vain, to ascertain the quality of the SD picture on this highly rated, albeit expensive, television. (Same parameters applying).

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No alternative to RF?? always run RF, as it give s phenomenally cheap and effective remote control option, but if there's a bit of cash for cabling, video over cat5 is the way to run multiple large screens all round the house from 1 source. The wire is thin, easy to hide away, and s-video over cat5 is good enough for many people on screens up to 42". Larger than that and you'd be really needing component, which can also be done, but we use s-video for cost effectiveness as 1 wire can carry s-video and stereo audio. Surprisingly good.