1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What'sthe truth about phone connection

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pezzer, Dec 7, 2004.

1. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been a sky subsciber for years and when first connected at an old address kept my digibox connected to the phone line as required by the sky contract.

Since then I've also got sky+ box but didn't connect either to a phone line.

Moved house about 18 months ago and had both boxes reconnected but not to the phone line. Had my sky+ replaced last month , new one not connected tp phone line.

Now I just had an engineer out who wanted to do a call back on the box but when he couldn't he called sky to complete his call out and opened his big mouth and advised sky I wasn't connected. I was then asked to a speak to sky operative who said I had to be connected and they would write to me. I told them I believed that as i had done so for my first year they could get stuffed but they are still going to write to me.

What's the bottom line here ? Do I have a contractural obligation ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Phone line required for digibox if you take a subsidised install (min 12 months),
    Phone line required for SKY+ if supplied and installed by SKY or an approved agent (min 12 months).
    Phone line required for a multiroom subscription (for as long as the subs are both active) regardless of how old the hardware is or if it's already completed a 12 month min term under a previous purchase.

Reckon that covers it:)

3. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. I think !

Well I'm ok on the first item. And the second. But not the third as I just got multiroom.....how serious are they if you ignore their letters - do they cancel in many cases ?

How do they check - I can connect a phone line to my second box on a 'temporary' basis but the sky+ a problem. Plus Sky re-installed my sky + 18months ago and their engineer didn't insist on a phone connection.

I've read conflicting views on this forum as to whether there is any technical reason to be connected?

4. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's a security thing and they randomly check the box. Basically you could lend your viewing card to someone who has a basic set up, costing you currently £10 but worth up to 40 odd. They write a couple of times then charge you the full whack.

5. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I just had a moan to a very helpful guy at Sky who has arranged for someone to come out this week and sort out the two phone lines free of charge so I can't complain !

All I've got to do now is get them to give me a new sky + box rather than the re-conditioned one they sent to replace my faulty one !

6. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I haven't been charged the full whack yet but I keep getting letters. I've got no problem with being connected to the phone line (we've got Sky + and multiroom) but for some reason every so often when they do checks they can't get through. This entails a letter, which I then have to call about. This goes back and forward until they do a successful check and then it stops for a while. A few months later it begins all over again. Its frustating to say the least but at least I haven't been charged the full whack again.

I didn't realise that they could do this - and I wouldn't be happy if they did!!

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I have had no phone line since July this year when we moved house and I am paying £82 a month for 2 sky+ set ups, can't be bothered to get another phone line installed in both rooms so will probably just use the freeview box we have for the bedroom.

Who did you speak to to get a phone line installed for free??

8. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do u know why they need a phone line in REALLY?? if u buy say a film on pay per view u need the line in fair eneough but if u order the film or footie match then remove the line u wont be charged for it untill u put in ur fone line again

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    The only reason they want you to have the phone line in, in this situation, is so you don't take out a second subscribtion reduced from £41 to £10 and give the box to your mate down the road.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The reason why Sky want you to have a phone line in is because Sky get money from companies advertising on the interactive services, and the money helps to subsidise the cost of the boxes. If Sky do not ensure that you have your phone line connected (they can instruct boxes to "phone home" via the satellite), these companies could sue Sky for breach of contract. Sky would then sue you, because in your contract with them you agreed to have the box connected for the first 12 months. I haven't heard of Sky taking anyone to court (yet), but if they did, that person wouldn't have a leg to stand on, because they signed a legally-binding contract.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Interesting:)
    I suppose paying £31 more than you have to every month (at least in the short term) is cheaper than having a phone line installed with a minimum 12 month term.

That is not the norm though, how many households now and in the future will simply not have a landline and thus can not have SKY D (subsidised install) and not have multiroom!
    The quicker SKY lauch a two or more tuner (independent outputs) STB the better I would have thought.

SKY will not pay BT or a cable company for a brand new phone connection:)
    If you have an existing phone line then they might be willing to sort out the extensions IF the finger of blame can be pointed at them or their installer for not making sure it was all set up in the first place.

12. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the Sky engineer turned up today

-he tried to connect sky + box but my downstairs phone line is connected to my PC broadband modem and I've no spare ADSL filters. He tried a DIY splitter box but with sky + and modem conected I keep losing my dial tone on the modem so have disconnected the Sky + !

-there is no neat way to connect my second box upstairs in master bedroom - its in a fitted wardrobe and phone point other side of room - logical to go via the loft and drop down with exisitng satellite cable in wardrobe but apparently he can only surface staple the phone cable which would be unsightly

So despite his visit I still have both boxes disconnected !!

13. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you can get wireless telephone senders, I use one of those but worth opening carefully as some of them dont work too well. The basics are that you plug one box into power and phone and the other into power and it will create a phone socket wherever you plug it in. They are about 12x8x4cm boxes. Depends how picky they are with you as to whether they are worth it...

14. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting point this, and one that SWMBO & I have been discussing over the last few months...

We've got Sky but it's disconnected from the phone line as I'm way past the 12 months contractural agreement. We have a BT land line (ex directory) and four mobiles (SWMBO, me, Daughter1 & Daughter2), also with BT.

SWMBO's argument is why do we need a land line when we've got the mobys? A very sensible question. So the idea is to get rid of the landline......saves money and all that good stuff...

However there are a couple of problems:

1. SWMBO also wants Sky+......good idea....but requires a land line.

2. single point of contact....I'm thinking of our "aging Parents" here. My mother (an eminently sensible senior citizen) does not like calling my mobile (or Sue's, for that matter). Why not? Surely it's just another phone number...."Oh, I can't be bothered to remember all your numbers....." BTW she has a mobile herself!

3. phone retailing. It appears that many retailers use the land line phone number as a customer identification or security number. I very rarely give out our land line number (I'm not paranoid....I know they're after me); some retailers will accept this, but I have had retailers refuse to accept an order without our land line number (on a particular occasion the chap at the other end got quite shirty, but I found the same part cheaper in my local B & Q anyway!!!)

Looking over our last few BT land/mobile bills, we are making fewer & fewer outgoing calls on the land line, to the point where BT are suggesting that we go onto a "low user" package for it.

If this trend continues then I can foresee a time when we use the landline only for incoming calls (as we get lots of free call-minutes on the mobile package) and for Sky & retail purposes; and paying a line rental for "not a lot" of use, but it being necessary to keep it for Sky+; or if we get rid of it completely...not being able to have Sky+ at all?

Is this an inevitable scenario? Is there an alternative, e.g. buying the Sky+ box outright and just paying for the programming?

Discuss!:D

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well I suppose the only thing that would stabalise or increase the number of landlines is if BT (and other providors) remove the rental charge, it would certainly make xDSL products better value and BT's future TV delivery system. I suppose with line rental making BT around £500 million a year it's hard for them to even consider removing it and the cable companies sweeten their service by bundling cheap phones with TV deals and/or cheap TV with phone deals:)
    There is no doubt that more and more people will go mobile exclusive especially as 3G products increase and once an extra few pouinds a month for those start appearing on the bill the £9 a month for landline rental starts to look even worse!
    It's certainly an interesting time for telecoms/digital broadcasting with rapid technology improvments (well for the Uk anyway, other countries have had 3G style stuff for quite a while and laugh at out "blistering" broadband speeds) but it's having a knock down drag out fight with highly profitable old services and business models.

As for SKY+, you can buy the STB/LNB and install yourself or pay an independent to do it, the over all deal may work out a little more expensive than SKY but you do not need a phone connection UNLESS you are also using the multiroom subscription.

SKY are facing pressure from many fronts, the new TW PVR (took long enough) looks an impressive piece of kit even if it's never fully implemented in the UK, it's certainly prettier than SKY+. VOD is another platform which could wipe out SBO and increase cable customers at the expense of SKY. BT using their network to deliever content in similar manner to Homechoice has got to be a threat considering the scope of their operation.
    SKY have got to make it easier and cheaper to buy into and use their servies, removing the phone requirment (for evreything except multiroom) would be a start and offering twin tuner/decoder STB's or server systems to make the multiroom/phone line system a thing of the past would also be welcome.

16. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i'm sure the T&Cs still state the phone line must be connected, but don't mention the fact it has to be them it dials.. "oh i wonder how a digit disappeared from the dial out number.. how odd..."

17. FIL6S

FIL6S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why do you need the phone connect if you have multiroom does this affect the Sky + box at all.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As already mentioned in the thread, the need for having both STB's in a multirrom subscription is to provide a means for SKY to confirm that both smartcards are being used in the same household.
    If the £10 smartcard (£41 package) could be sold/given away it's not out of the question that SKY could lose 50% of it's subscriber base within a few months along with over £1 billion in revenue thereby bankrupting the company. Pirates very rarely give the health and well being of the service any consideration when they can make money out of their illegal activities, if they hadn't crippled SKY analogue then perhaps SKY wouldn't be so obsessive about security this time around.

There is no technical reason the phone line is required for SKY+ (in or out of a multiroom sub), it's contractual and certainly makes PPV, interactive and auto registration practical though.

19. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    to me, thats over generalising. i'm as interested in free media as the next man, but thats the point of it - free. the majority of people who crack the codes, are the same as those who do the real software protection cracking.. its all done for free. the fact that others decide to profit from this is a complete con and ripoff, and the majority of people i know simply hate that fact. its one thing to copy a dvd, in the knowledge that you buy lots of dvds and are simply checking out new material (in the same way as using gold cards and programmers, in order to explore new territory) but to then sell on the cards in order to make profit, is unjustifiable. i hope every single one of them gets busted and locked up for it.

alas, with the mass media its almost impossible to explain to people the differences these days, as even the term "hacker" is misused about 99.9% of the time in the press.

20. kron

kron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Have you seen this thread ,it might solve your problem...worked for me.