Whats your prefered record Mode E30 + 880/890?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Bennett, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

What are people's prefered off TV record mode?

I'm begining to think that for just one off taping then 4hrs is OK and something special or a series the SP 2hr mode is better.

Would like to use the 3hr FR mode but still not clear on how to do it on a disk when not recording live.

Mark

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only ever use SP and if there isn't enough room to fit SP on I use FR, I can't notice any difference from the original using this method. never tried the 4Hr mode tbh, I'll have a dabble with a RAM disc and see what the quality is like.

3. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark I timeshift rented dvds using LP with no quality complaints. Tivo does most of the general tv timeshifting for me. If i'm recording onto ram with the intention of dubbing to -r then I try use XP if I can. When dubbing back to -r I generaly fill the disc with around 3hrs worth, 4 episodes of stargate or 24 for example.
    "Would like to use the 3hr FR mode but still not clear on how to do it on a disk when not recording live." not sure what you mean here, what are you trying to do, what problems are you having?

Paul

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    When I had an E20 on its own I used to record (from Sky+) using the timer (thus enabling use of Flexible Recording).

For instance if recording two 1 hour (45 minutes programme with 15 minutes adverts) I would do the following:

For the first programme I would set the timer for 1 hour 45 minutes (45 minutes over the running time). On completion I would edit that programme to reduce it to just 45 minutes in length. I would then record the second programme filling the rest of the disk. Upon editting the final programme this just meant 15 minutes wasted space - not to bad.

I then copied the contents of the DVD-RAM onto my PC, added nice menus and burnt to DVD-R.

Life is a bit simplier now I have the HS2 - I now only ever record in XP mode onto the HDD. I then edit and transfer to DVD-RAM using Flexible Recording Mode (I put about 1.5hrs on each DVD). I then copy the contents to my PC etc.

5. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, any chance of a brief rundown of the steps you take to go from ram to -r especialy with ram discs you've edited on th e20.
    Cheers
    Paul

6. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >Would like to use the 3hr FR mode but still not clear on how to do it on a disk when not recording live." not sure what >you mean here, what are you trying to do, what problems are you having?

Hi Paul

What I mean is that if you start recording right then then you can set FR mode to any time.

When you set the program to record you can use FR mode but it seems to come up with a random length remaining and not give you the option of specifying the disk length.

Or have I just missed something? I'm out of blank ram disks to experiment with and low on DVD-Rs too.

Mark

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I get what you mean. You want to record say three programs on a disks using fr mode. So say each of them is an hour long, you want them all to be recorded at optimon quality thus filling the disk.

This isn't really possible.When you use Fr it needs to know the legnth of the recording so that it can calculate the correct bit rate throughout. However, if you where to make three timer entries each with fr as the recording mode it doesn't work. This is because the recorder is not "aware" of other timer settings which have been made. When it switches on it checks the first timer information (which in this case would be a progam 1 hour long using fr). It then proceeds to fill the disk by making the highest quality recording it can. It doesn't pause to think that there may be another recording waiting in the wings which will require equal or more space. It treats all timer entries as seperate sessions, not as part of the same session.

The only way of doing this involves the method descibed on these forums for acheiving this when recording live. It isn't possible when using the timer.

Back to the main question, I find that 4 or 6hr mode is fine for recording the odd tv program or film off the telly when using ram Disks. I still think 4hr is about the same as an average vhs and even 6hr better than lp on a vhs.

As far as dvd-r goes I try not to ever use anything other than 2hr or fr for a maximum of 3-3.5hrs when recording movies. Simply because I dont see the point in archiving anything with lower quality than this (I would rather buy a retail dvd if available). If I wanted to record a series of the sopranos or something from the tv, again I would only use 2hr or fr if I could be around for the recordings.

8. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, sorry I'm still not clear what you're talking about but I'm thinking you are referring to using FR with a timer recording. As you know when you use FR to record something live then you enter the amount of time you wish the remaining free space to become. When using the timer recording you just enter FR mode, it calculates how much time to allocate to the free space from your start and stop times.
    Paul

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes but what he is trying to do is to make multiple timer recordings on a single disk, which is not possible because the first timer recording will fill the disk.

i.e

Channel Start Time End Time Mode Space on disk

Channel5 10:00am 11:00am FR OK
    BBc1 1:00pm 2:00pm FR OK
    C4 4:00pm 5:00pm FR OK

The recording on channel 5 will fill the disk. So the bbc1 recording can't be made. He was looking for a way of getting all three recordings on a single disk, each one using fr to acheive three hours of recording at the highest quality available. This can only be done by using flexible record and setting the time to 3hours. after the first recording finishes (1 hour) manually stop the recording(leaving 2 hours worth of space on the disk) and set the next one to record 2 hours, then again manually stop the recording and set it to record the final hour.

10. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, wasn't clear that we were talking multiple recordings.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    1) I copy the .VRO file from the DVD-RAM disk to the PC's HDD. Once this is done I rename it .MPG

2) You can then use the "MPGE Tools" of TMPG Encoder to run a simple demux (seperation of the audio and video).

3) I then import the files into Spruceup. Whilst this is a very simple application, i.e you can't have animated menus, I find it makes extremely compatible disks. When I export the completed project from Spruceup I do so as a "Title Set".

4) I then use the Nero DVD-Video wizard to burn the DVD-R.

This works perfectly for recordings that have been made on the HS2 HDD, editted (on the hard disk drive) and then dubbed in any mode OTHER than high speed. This also works for recordings made on the E20/30 which have not been editted before the end of the film (i.e. you have only chopped off the end of the film).

For the E20/30 recordings on DVD-RAM that are transferred may suffer lip sync problems. Two solutions are avilable:

1) Purchase ULEAD DVD WORKSHOP which, in fact, provides the best possible solution for making DVD-Videos. It is powerful yet simple (it avoids the need to use the solution stated above), fully supports the .VRO format and results in highly compatible DVDs. The problem is it's expensive (£300ish).

2) Insert audio buffer pieces into the .AC3 file after you have run the Simple Demux in TMPG Encoder. This is relatively straightforward but presents a steep learning curve and it can take some hours to get to grips with the whole thing. It is also a free solution as all the software you need is freeware and readily downloadable. If anyone wants to go this route I strongly suggest posting for some advice in these forums:

http://forum.digital-digest.com

You will find/get all the advice you need there.