1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats YOUR next upgrade and why?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok lets start up another lively thread here.

I'll kick off by suggesting the obvious, upgrading never stops, it only stalls from time to time (according to our wallets mostly).
    Everybody starts off with what they can afford and usually there is something else to aim for higher up the ladder. Even if you are lucky enough to start from the flagship model of a particular manufacturer, for various reasons, it does not stay top of the range very long and you find yourself lusting after yet another new piece of gear in no time at all.

This could of course be a new projector, hence starting the subject in the PJ section.

The march in technology is relentless and seems to be accelerating faster with each passing month, with us chasing the tale of this monster and with our wifes usually chasing us (with a baseball bat) sometimes its best to slow down.

I'm taking a break with upgrading my hardware for various reasons (enough to fill yet another thread).

Instead, I've been studying up on Acoustic Treatments and acoustics in general. Not as much fun as tinkering with a new piece of gear but very interesting just the same. Its extraordinary what can be acheived with diffusers, bass traps, and absorbtion panels. Over the course of the next few months I will apply these treatments to my dedicated HT room together with what I've learnt. When I've completed this latest quest I will write a thread with my objectives and findings. Hopefully my wife, who is a colledge lecturer (Grahphic Design, Web Design and Fine Art) will finish my pending website which will have full details and pictures of my HT for all to see (and crit). She says she wants money up front for this work :mad: .

Anyway, it would be interesting to see where everybodys at. Some no doubt at the begining of this great hobby and some very advanced.

During the course of your post, if you state the reasons for your proposed upgrade I'm sure the newbies among you will also get good feedback from advanced members.

Best Wishes
    Eric

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm let me think, considering I`m very new to home cinema I took the budget option as I wanted a taster of what's to come!. I`m pleased with the little Sony VPL-CX1, sure its blacks are'nt black and it's a bit noisy when the movie goes quiet but overall we're happy with it. If we still have the choice of buying the Toshiba 40whob RPTV or this little projector I would have no hesitation going for the projector anyday.

So the next upgrade will have to be in the sound department as 80 RMS watts of 2 speaker audio does not do a projector any justice does it :D . I`m waiting for a good quality DD/DTS/Dolby Pro logic 2 AMP to hit the market and then go for a decent centre speaker and subwoofer. I have 4 speakers I could use for surrounds and front speakers as they were off a £1200 and £900 seperates KenWood hifi system and they sound good in 2 speaker format at the moment. I dont see why the smaller Kenwood speakers wouldnt make decent surrounds for now.

I think in the next year we might see emerging technologies and prices coming down but I doubt we will upgrade until beginning of 2003 to replace the Sony projector. Unless of course someone brings out a projector which is less or equal to the size of an A3 piece of paper with CRT blacks, low noise for under £2000 :p

James

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,
    You might want to take a look at the Denon 3802.

Eric

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My next upgrade after getting my Barco 808 is the sound. I have one of the early Sony STBR925 amps, it's 4 or 5 years old now and a little long in the tooth, even though the sound still impresses I feel more power and also DPLII is needed. Hence the only amp on my shortlist is the Denon 3802.

Another possible upgrade would be to eventually have a look at the fans on the projector and replace them, as the projector was quite well used I think they're quite a bit noisiser than something of a less used vintage.

Other upgrades would be the obvious other set of speakers for 6.1/7.1 sound. I have Monitor Audio silver 7i fronts and 12i centre so think I'll go for the FXi for the rears and use my Boston Micro VRS for the EX channel.

That's my theory anyway, it's just getting the money after buying a new house in August, getting projector installed in November, decorating new house and buying furniture, buying a pool table, getting married next year and other money intensive stuff.

Wonder what other half woulf think of a Denon 3802 and monitor audio speakers on the wedding present list?????:devil: :devil:

5. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My next upgrade will be a new CPU and HD for the HCPC.
    The old PIII 600 doesn't cut it anymore...

After that, a new green CRT... bu hu... :(

/David

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Next for me will be a projector, not sure which one yet but the Sony vw10 is at the top of the list, and a new dvd player with progressive scan, got my eye on the new Denon A1, or i might just get my old Panasonic A360 modded with a Cinematrix mod.

Also interested in acoustic treatments etc so i´ll be looking forward to what Uncle Eric discovers!!

cheers

7. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A new house I think.

I just don't have the space in the flat that I'm currently in to put in a decent projector setup unless it is the living room.

I have no desire to spend some serious cash again just now to not be able to display the results in all their glory.

I don't intend moving must the next move will certainly be done looking at the possibility of a home cinema room

8. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I want a new projector, don't want an lcd as I'll beat someone to death with it if it has dead pixels. I want one of the new dlp's , the Infocus ls110/Toshiba MT5 or Plus Piano are looking likely candidates, I'm anxiously awaiting a U.K. release for both (hopefully soon!)

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The upgrade bug hits us all at one time or another, and in HC there are often areas that can be improved upon. Currently working on a PC to feed the PJ, after that who knows.I think room acoustics is something to work on for most of us. Its something that tends to be forgotten in many cases. Look forward to your findings Eric.

Rob.

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A reburbished Barco 808 with 7.5 foot screen (if it ever arrives that is) Quadscan, HCPC build and M&K S-85 speakers for the rears to finish of the rest of my M&K S-150s with a reel of chord rumour cable to wire it all up. Hopefully have it all before christmas.

Then hopefully then will I be satisfied, but then again the lexicon DC1 is getting a bit old now mmmmm, how much for a MC12.

11. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    It's funny, normally i buy something. Then spend the next two months finding all it's faults and wishing i had never bothered!.

I then bought my Barcodata 808s.

It had a couple of picture issues which where sorted on the final setup/install. But i still felt as if i was missing detail/focus etc. I was wondering if this whole cycle of buy then regret was going to start again etc. I had started thinking about an upgrade already!!!.

But no!, it's going from strength to strength.:)

As i get used to the CRT way of thinking, the better the picture gets.

First of all my model is 4 years old, so the stated highest resolutions are out! (1280x1024). Not that i needed that high anyway.

It's just a matter of finding the sweetspot. I was suprised by how rock solid and stable a CRT can hold a windows 1024x768/800x600 screen. With the icons pixels being visable, and the colours super smooth across the screen. I will being trying 1280x720(72/75hz) soon, as i feel this may be the best compromise etc.

The amount of detail i got over the last couple of nights from tweaking my HTPC was amazing. Showing tha the PJ is not the limiting factor. Maybe reducing my Quadscan Elite to Doubling for 16.9 mode and tripling for fullscreen 4.3 may be a better option etc.

This meaning a upgrade is now a lot further away than i first thought!.

But i will keep an eye out for a low hours Barco Cine Max!. I would be willing to pay upto £5000 max!!!!!!:p

Just joking, but this would be the only thing(maybe a very cheap A1 Barco1209) that would make me swop mine at the moment.

12. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A BMW:D

13. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ...won't it look odd, hanging from the ceiling, up side down?
    (Or did you get a real large and sturdy coffee table?)

14. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    B.M.W?

"B"arco "M"ultimedia "W"onder CRT?:D :devil: :D

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    I must admit I've been lusting over a Cinemax myself.
    When I finish paying for this new car I bought recently...hmmmmm.

In the meantime BD808s still looks superb.
    Mine had less than 300 hours and was as new when I bought it.
    It now has around 1100 hours. Man thats a lot of DVD's.

Before any other upgrades however, I must get my Denon upgraded when they start calling them in.
    300 quid has been mentioned but short of buying yet another Amp this is the only way to go if you want the new software. If you are an AVCA1SE owner, you are virtually over a barrel on this one.

Eric

16. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgrade? It's a total nightmare.

I sat down and watched Star Trek Generations and was totally absorbed in what is arguably quite a poor film. I tried hard to criticise the poor black levels of my VW10 but couldn't muster much enthusiasm as the picture was sharp as a tack and the colours to my eye were well rendeed. The sound was excellent, crystal clear dialogue, good effects, room shaking bass.

So why is upgrading always on my mind? Probably because like the rest of you we're daft, obsessed with the hobby, can't resist shiny new toys, who knows - it's quite sad really.

Anyway, what to upgrade? Should I change my DVD player and go mad and get an ARCAM FMJ or go loony and get a TAG - maybe that's a waste of time with a VW10, (Serious point coming up - would a super-duper DVD player actually make a difference to a VW10?). Or maybe I should get the toolkit out and build an HTPC - there must be a catch with these things and I don't mean just the control, appearance and DIY nature, I just have a problem with the 'something for nothing' view that is given.

What about an external scaler for the VW10 - would it even work I'm not sure. No forget all this what I need is a Cine7 with the full LimoPro monty - that would do the trick - although it might end in divorce. On second, (third, fourth, fifth.....), thoughts what I really need is a bigger room then I could get the add on for my Denon amp to give me 7.1 sound instead of the paltry 5.1 of the current set up.

No, I know what I'll do - I'll just put another DVD in and enjoy the system until I'm sure what I want or maybe I'll invest in some therapy!

For info. my current system is a Sony 735 DVD, Denon AVC A10, Dynaudio Audience 40s rear, 60s front, c120 centre and 30A sub-woofer and a VW10 pj plus all sorts of outrageously expensive cables from Better Cables and Audio-T. (All in a room 3.5x3.8m).

17. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to replace the entire audio system.

I am looking at standardising on SDI delivery for Video or a locked down custom HTPC for Video. SDI is proving far more expensive than I first thought.

I'm also looking at a BG1209.

Regards Neil.

18. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My next upgrade will be a degree in Electronic Engineering. It will be quite expensiove and will take a while to get but should be worth it.

In the short term I have just ordered a new KryoII based graphics card and another 256mb stick of RAM.

Stuart-f: Get the Arcam fMj DV27, compare it with the Tag, the price difference doesn't show.

19. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    My next upgrade is a second visit from Roland :D
    After that it might just be time for a Pronto/IRMan/Girder combo. My Marantz RC2000mkII is getting a bit flustered by all this new tech! Wife is getting confused and I'm getting fed up of using the Airboard!

Cheers
    Alex

20. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currently stuck with not so glorious 21" O-Vision :(

So upgrade will be a decent telly or (preferably) a fixed panel projector (in Living room and will need to be grabbed for pesentations). Or some rears and a centre....

Currently:

Mission 774
    Denon 3801
    Yamaha DVD535
    Telewest digital cable
    Marantz CD53 (with a nasty skipping problem)
    21" Panny telly

big mortgage....

21. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an order yet to be finalised:

TAG DVD32R
    Replace LCR speakers either with Hybrid Music/Cinema or pure Cinema (difficult decision, already have good audio system in another room)
    Replace Sub (Depends on Speaker choice)
    TAG 250/3R Amp
    Scaler or wait for TAG AV32R-192R upgrade
    Upgrade DVD32R to 192R
    New PJ (Will have to find home for existing Seleco 400Plus)
    ProntoPro

That lot will probably be over £25K hmmm think I need to upgrade my Job :devil:

Steve

22. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,
    This would make PJ number 3 right?
    I was looking at the G70 but feel that the difference between the 808s and Sony is to small to justify the cost of changing.
    Have you considered a G90. There are a few used ones floating around. Also, a good low hours one would probably mean no more PJ upgrades for a very long time.

Eric

23. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric you're right. Its just that I've seen my custom PC on a 1209 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.