Quantcast

What's Your Most Indestructible Piece of Home Cinema Hardware?

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
After Ed recounted a story in Podcast Ep 299 (@25:45) whereby a Bang & Olufsen TV remote was buried in the back garden by a friend's dog - during winter - only to be discovered working perfectly a week later once the pilfering pet had dug it back up, we wondered, what are the most indestructible pieces of home cinema kit AVForums members have owned?

And just exactly what were the circumstances that led to the discovery of its sturdiness?!

Fire away, we'd love to hear your stories.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Many years ago I had a Philips 42" plasma TV.
Rather foolishly while decorating we decided to move the glass AV stand it was stood on top without lifting the TV off first.

As was inevitable I guess the TV fell off forwards and landed on the top edge and the front part of the pedestal stand snapping the plastic part of the stand.

Amazingly the TV still worked just the same afterwards. The only real casualty was the pedestal stand but the plan was to wall mount it anyway as part of the redecoration

MrNismo

For me it's my Kef Coda 7 bookshelf speakers.
I bought them in 1995 with my first wage packet.
They were my hifi speakers well before I had surround sound.
Then I added a separate amp for front and rear Dolby surround sound in 1998/9
The Kef Coda 7s were moved to surround speakers duty and mounted high up with wall brackets.

One fell off!!!!!!!
The front separated from the main cabinet but luckily I glued it back and it still worked.

They are still going strong as part of my 7.1 system but now sit safe and sound on dedicated speaker stands at ear height only.

Harkon321

Over the last few days I've been organising our large shed - lockdown jobs and all that!

Wanted some music down there so went hunting up the loft in boxes of cables. Found an old mini amp, and some old LG speakers from a cheap all in one system I had for my 21st birthday (17 years ago). All works like a charm.

JH4

My monster Denon AVCA1-XVA and my Revox B77 Mk.2, I guess. They just go on forever. Also several Sony MD decks. ( and TV's ) Not forgetting 2 monster transmission line IMF studio monitors.

gibbsy

It's my head actually. I must have a thick skull as every time something new for the AV side of things turns up the missus hits me over the head with a frying pan. She going to hit me again next week when a new receiver turns up because a case of acute upgradiatus made worse by the lockdown arrives. Well boys bach there's no pockets in shrouds. :)

HeweyBoy101

My B&W 601 s2 speaker system purchased with my Millienium overtime payment 20 years ago! Still going strong and sound superb. Also my REL Q150 subwoofer which I have had 17 years now!
Various TV’s, AVR’s, Disc Players, Streaming Boxes etc. have all come and gone several times but speakers and sub seem to last forever! 👍

anlygi

My Technics SL-1210 Mk2. Bought new by my mother in 97/98 as a pair. Hammered for close to 10 years cuing and scratching, dragged to a few parties then put into storage after our first born and CDJs took over, making their value fall to a point where I'd rather put them into storage than sell.

Pulled out of storage last year, both still working perfectly with everything illuminating and holding pitch. With them stopping production, then coming back with the vinyl resurgence, values rose again and I sold the one with more signs of use last year (though both still in above average condition) for over £300, keeping the better one for myself. I still haven't got it serviced yet, but plan to along with making some improvements for hi-fi listening starting with cable replacement and an Ortofon Red or Blue cartridge and stylus.

It's my head actually. I must have a thick skull as every time something new for the AV side of things turns up the missus hits me over the head with a frying pan. She going to hit me again next week when a new receiver turns up because a case of acute upgradiatus made worse by the lockdown arrives. Well boys bach there's no pockets in shrouds. :)
Could you not just do a covert swap or is it a different manufacturer and vastly different cosmetically? Pretty sure I could sneak a Denon 3600 past my wife in replacement for my 2400. Not that I would, though the seperate stereo amp, the reason I want to upgrade for pre-outs, would be a different matter...

Last edited:

IWC Dopplel

I love my naim mono power amps, mid 1990's been serviced a couple of times, rock solid, look great, beautifully built and appreciate over the years. They were £1,200 a pair when I bought my little lot in 2009, nearer £2k used a pair now.