What's your favourite album of the last 5 years?

Gorshin

Ex Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to 'Original Pirate Material' by the streets. You can hear samples of each track here

What I like about it is it's particularly punchy realism and an epic quality to tracks like 'Turn the page' and 'stay positive'. The album IMO relays the image of many young peoples' typical weekend existence, ie drinking, clubbing in an urban environment. I love the incisive lyrics which alternate between comedy and nostalgia, to depression and angst. Definitely a voice of young Britain. It's on constant play at the moment. Please check it out, or better still make a purchase. It comes highly recommended :smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I don't really like music which falls into the genre of the rapper/singer 'telling it like it is'. I don't like Eminem, I don't like rap groups who drone on about their life (including drugs, violence, etc.) The exception is NWA who do it to great music. :D

Anyway, Gorshin, you like The Streets. That's OK, I don't have a problem with that, or with you. But after the last thread was closed, and the way it was going, why bother re-starting the thread? If people disagree, and I'm sure they will, it will end up in a petty argument. I know what it's like with music I love, no-one that I know is into that music, or loves it with the passion that I do. I got frustrated that nobody else (so it would seem) understood or related to the music. But then I realised that wasn't the point of listening to the music. YOu listen, and whatever pleasure / emotions / feelings it arouses is the reason for listening.

So my advice is: keep enjoying the music you are passionate about, let the music be its own reward, and don't feel that it has to be vindicated in the court of public opinion (i.e. the AV Forums). There are far too many people who take too much pleasure in clever arguments, to get stressed out about it all. ;)

Sorry, forgot to answer thread subject - "The Private Press" by DJ Shadow. See the sticky on Recommended Albums.

Drive By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
just reminds me what I like about rock music, with that southern twang.
double cd that shows what they can do. if you've not heard them you should try try you might just like it.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

I knew nothing about this band until I saw the album cover for In Absentia in Classic Rock magazine in 2003 and I was intregued. Not only does the music comprise everything I love about about rock music (acoustic elements, rock, metal, vocal harmonies, sadness, anger etc.), but the album introduced me to a world of music away from the limelight that I never knew existed. And then to top it all off, it was released in 5.1, which I think everyone who has it would agree is incredible :smashin:

Close contenders for the title of 'My Best Album of the Last 5 Years' were the following:

The Mars Volta - both albums
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Pineapple Thief - Variations on a Dream
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Tool - Lateralus

i might change my mind at any time, but right now my memory says that the best album of the last five years is..... Songs For The Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age!

Mine is a slightly more mainstream album but after a lot of thought and the album I could not lose is

A - Hi Fi serious.

Sure, it is far from classic but it motivates me when I am down and gets me going when I am up. Just a great collection of well written songs with great guitar work and vocals.

Cap :)

Au Reve Cassius.

Gorshin,

Now this is an honest question...Are you in the band or are you one of the boys mums or something? :confused:

You're selling that band/album harder than a Jehovah Witness sells religion. :rotfl:

I for one won't listen to that album for that reason. :D Da..da..don't believe the hype.

Moby's "Play" Album, absolultey love it, his new one "Hotel" is not bad either!

JUS said:
Gorshin,

Now this is an honest question...Are you in the band or are you one of the boys mums or something? :confused:

You're selling that band/album harder than a Jehovah Witness sells religion. :rotfl:

I for one won't listen to that album for that reason. :D Da..da..don't believe the hype.

Well you're missing out on a masterpiece. It's your loss :rolleyes:

Gorshin said:
Well you're missing out on a masterpiece. It's your loss :rolleyes:

im with gorshin on this one- give it a listen, whats the worst that could happen? youll like it? i think you should only have an opinion on it once youve listened to it. a lot of people are like that about the streets but i disagree. if you dont like it, fair enough but at least give it a listen.
james
(goin to see streets tonight actually in manchester, well lookin forward to it. saw athlete last night in leeds, that was good gig, lamb supporting)
:thumbsup:

sorry, forgot the point of the thread
my fave is...
KINGS OF LEON, YOUTH & YOUNG MANHOOD
holy roller novocaine well good track, new album aha shake heartbreak also good but time will tell if its better or not i say.
james
:smashin:

OK OK. I gave it a go. I couldn't get on with it. Sorry. Made me cringe. Hearing some Essex bloke ramble on about sitting on a sofa smoking a joint...not for me. I sound like an old fogie but for me it has little musical quality. My musical tastes span Classical, Pop, Rock, Punk, Metal, Dance (house, hardhous, trance), Soul, Rap, R&B. I like oddities like Arab Strap. But I don't like this. I'll put it down to an aquired taste..like Olives..yuck! :D

My most favourite album title is "Break like the wind"..Spinal Tap :D

The albums getting most play on my MP3 player at the moment are

Happy songs for Happy people - Mogwai
Another green world - Brian Eno
Best of - The Durutti Column
Strays - Janes Addiction

and to cheer me up

Cammell Laird Social Club - Half Man Half Biscuit (or any of theirs, really)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom