whats your experiences of (I HATE) comet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by geomuss, Apr 19, 2007.

1. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    No, the retailer was in N.I. :)

2. bones`

bones`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    A couple of years ago my sister and I bought our mother a new oven and hob for christmas. My sister did the business in Currys sometime around early october. They took her money and gave her a delivery to store date around 2 weeks later. Now I didn't get involved in this untill around a week before christmas when the oven and hob still hadn't showed. There was a plumber booked for the 23rd December. My sister gave me the lowdown and I was absolutely fuming both with Currys for constantly lying about delivery dates and my sister for leaving things so late in the day. The final possible delivery date before xmas had been missed, they had been promising the cooker every week since October and my mum had nothing to cook xmas dinner on. I made my mind up that I was going to the store and wasn't leaving without a cooker. I walked in ready for a fight, absolutely blood boiling but had to keep calm on the exterior. I walked up to a salesman and posing as a potential buyer, asked which cooker hob combos they physically had in stock to take away. He listed a few at which point I explained the situation and the fact that one way or another my mother would have her cooker by close of play. He was disgusted. He spoke to the manager who in turn rang around the North West stores, finding one in Warrington, he then made the original sales goon drive there from Preston and bring it back to my mums house. Please bear in mind that no-one actually gave a flying and it was only the fact that I wasn't leaving the store without this being resolved that got things moving. I swore after that day I would never shop at Currys again but if truth be known I will IF the deal suits me.

I also had the Comet goon trying to sell me a warranty with a laptop. I said no thanks, he said my screen wasn't covered under the standard warranty!!

None of the big stores care. You need to do your own homework and more importantly know your rights should things go wrong.

3. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I used to go to school with a lad who was the son of the original owner of Comet before it got sold to the Kingfisher Group (i think), and i didnt like him at all. Although we did win the Rock and Roll Dance competition together at the end of year under 12's Disco (couldnt dance with girls, they smelt)

FACT.

:D

4. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    and what comprehensive was this ? ha ha

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47,469
    It could have been any one in Great Britain, most of them hold end of years discos.

6. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    do you think the son of the comet owner would be at just any school ?

i detect a public schoolboy. ha ha

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    good work Sherlock :D

8. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,136
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    In reference to the OP: one of my cameras can't take much more than 20 pictures without flash on rechargeable (or not) batteries.
    What your old camera can do is meaningless unless it's the same model. Different features and different manufacturers will use different amount of power.
    Also if you used rechargeable batteries, I believe they need to be charged fully once before you use them otherwise they will never last long.

The fact that battery life is low doesn't mean it's not fit for purpose: it takes pictures and all in all it takes almost as many pictures as one of these disposable cameras so it does what it's supposed to do.
    Bear in mind if you have the LCD screen on and take 5 minutes for each shot, the battery is still going down.

10. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Mine will take something like 200 shots on one set of AA batteries. If I had one that only took 15 shots I'd consider it unfit for purpose. And I wouldn't let some snotty little oik in Comet tell me otherwise either.

On the other hand I always research things like that, and would have expected unusually poor battery life to become apparent.

11. Reign-Mack

Reign-Mack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I dont hate comet, Hate leads to suffering.

12. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I paid them extra to deliver my TV in the morning, didn't show up till 6.30pm, was told I would have my delivery charge refunded but never got it ;/ Also pretty obscene delivery times, 2 weeks after they've taken your money? What's that all about...

13. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I have 3 different cameras and they all take different amounts of pictures on a set of batteries. Is one or two unfit for purpose because they don't do as well? No.

As you said, you do your research before buying so I think you will have seen that for that kind of items, battery life is always rated. This means differents cameras have different results, simple.

And that's nothing to do with the shop that sells it, but with the manufacturer who makes it. Yes you have consumer rights and you should use them but unless the shop doesn't respect the rules, you can't start calling the staff names etc. They are told the rules and I doubt pretty much they'd risk their job so you can return an item and be happy with them.

14. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    PS. I have a Sony T9 that uses a rechargable power pack which gives over 80 minutes of shooting time and over 2 hours of reviewing time! Highly recommended!

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Bloody hell, who's been watching star wars? :D

16. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Funnily enough I was in Comet yesterday, probably for the last time. I was looking for the latest 50" samsung plasma, so there I am walking up and down the rows of screens looking for what I wanted. 3 comet employees standing around having a chat watching the snooker, paying no attention to me or any other customers. I went over, 2 hurried off and the 3rd just kept starring at the screen. Excuse me I said, have you got the q97 samsung screens in yet. Without even looking up he grunted 'No', any idea when you'll be getting them? Again without looking up 'dunno'. Hmmm thanks for your help. Oh well, they won't be getting my custom in there now.

17. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    i take your points on-board, but take this into consideration, imagine i do not have internet access, do not have the magazines to research the camera. you pop into the shop see a camera HALF PRICE (supposedly) with great specs, would you not think that the camera you are going to purchase will be and should be much better than the one you already have! i think you would!

It is our consumer right, to return goods that we feel are unsatisfactory for the job!

would you purchase a 5000 pound television to find it was not as good as the one you paid 1000 pounds for, but got good reviews from a few people and does what it says displays a picture! would you find this satisfactory!

some people reviews of products differ greatly from others check the forum threads! :smashin:

18. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Surprisingly not. I wouldn't expect a product to be better than mine simply based on price unless it says it is.
    Bang & Olufsen products will cost significantly more than your usual items but I doubt paying £175 for their remote control will give me more performance than a £35 universal remote: it sends a signal, that's it !

If you bought a car because you went to a garage, liked the colour, liked the fact that it was a 2.5L petrol and it was a convertible with four seats, would you think you're entitled to return the car because it does 10 mpg on average and no one told you and you didn't ask, or because the service costs £1000 every 20k miles?
    Would the car be unfit for purpose because your previous 2.5L convertible could do 30mpg and the service cost £200?

I understand perfectly the disappointment in a product and I'm not argueing that the said camera isn't the best on battery life, and it's annoying when you've spent your hard earned money on something that you end up hating.
    BUT unless Comet are by law supposed to take it back (and to be honest I don't know), you can't blame them for not doing so. They're also a business and although good customer service is something that they should offer, good customer service doesn't mean they have to take stuff back at a loss (they can't send it back to manufacturer unless it's faulty you know) unless the law says so.

All this said we're both entitled to our opinion and I thought I'd give mine. I don't think either is right or wrong, we just expect different things from shops etc. I never expect to get great advice from the likes of Comet/Curry's etc. I just find some good prices and conveniency enough to go there after I've done some research.

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    What happened to people heeding the maxim caveat emptor?

I am not talking about faulty goods. I am talking about people who do not research their purchases ;) Such is life after all. The Sale of Goods Act, the Unfair Contract Terms Act and their subsequent amendments are there to protect the consumer from faulty goods and unfair terms. They are not their to help you out because you got a bad bargain - whether that be your fault or not.

20. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    thats all fine but tell me someone who has not bought something on impulse, got home realised that its not suitable and returned it. clothing etc etc do we reasearch everything in life. i think not! :eek:

Impulse buying still happens. Im not really arguing the point about the camera,

just the poor, in fact disgustingly terrible service i received.

and by the sounds of the other members i am not alone! :clap: :clap:

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,614
    You could perhaps have argued 15 shots is ridiculous and perhaps an indication of a faulty product*. Other than that, Comet do not operate a 'try before you buy' service far as I am aware. Comet may well employ a number of people who know diddly squat apart from the sales target they are to achieve, but having had several part time jobs, there is nothing more infuriating than a customer who rants and raves. It won't change anything other than you being the bad guy. Patience is a virtue when it comes to remaining calm maybe, but... far as I can tell Comet handled an abusive customer quite well.

*In fact, why don't you do that?

22. Mickey G

Mickey G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling that currys, comet, pc world and dixons are all the same. The one and only thing they have over buying something over the internet is that you can hold it in your hand. This previledge costs.

"Customer service" is a dirty word with these people. They just dont care. If you dont shop there, there are still 1000's of other people who will.

I suspect this might change in a few years time with more and more people turning to the internet.

23. cloudcity

cloudcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45

Well said, I agree with all you have said.

Getting back to the original post - 6 shots from Duracell is about right. 25 shots from 2600?!?! Something very wrong there, providing they were charged for at least 16hours before first use that is.

I sell these things all day every day, and tell people every day "if you want expecrt advice stay away from C.C.D (Currys Comet & Dixons). I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, after all - this place is the single best thing for people like us who wish to buy goods and the big stores hate it.

24. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Only true within reasonable limits. If a camera took just one shot before the batteries went flat would you really consider it to be OK?

I'm not talking about calling anyone names, just not accepting a product that I consider - with reasonable grounds - to be flawed. And retailers have total control over which products they do and don't sell. If the example being discussed is a real issue than I would expect the retailer to know about it from more than one return, and withdraw it from sale.

25. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    I reckon 15 shots from one set of batteries is ridiculous, and does constitute unfit for purpose. Indeed, I think the camera probably is faulty. If you're getting nowhere with Comet you have a couple of options. You could do what a previous poster suggested and try contacting Samsung customer services...you never know, they might be pleased to switch it, as the unit cost to them would be pretty low.

Otherwise, you could write to Comet Head Office threatening action in the small claims court. You dont have to go through with the action, just explain you are rejecting the product and expect a refund or replacement, and if they won't you will by another camera elsewhere and take them to court to recover your reasonable costs in doing so. Would be a good idea to mention something like you've always bought your electrical products from Comet, and have become accustomed to their good customer service, and that you are saddened and disappointed to have to be taking this course of action. I think there's a reasonable chance they will capitulate, and if they don't you've only wasted the cost of a stamp. I did this with Dixons and ended up with a free Xbox360, 5 games and an extra controller, all because they took my money for a mispriced web offer that they tried to back out of.

26. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Whilst what Jenn says is true, I do not agree with the comparison to a car, as the camera (I doubt) takes much better shots than another in the same range, nor would the same camera model perform the same if you were to get another. 15 shots is ridiculous - I've never had a camera do that, even with the flash on. I get thousands out of my Canon, hundreds out of my Samsung (compact), hundreds out of my Casio (compact but with a lens), all with a mixture of flash and no flash, all with LCD screens.

To say that 15 shots could constitute acceptable is crazy. I'd expect ten times that, it's like saying (another silly comparison!) I buy a monitor, and all I can use is a tenth of the brightness. Or I get a 20" monitor, and only 2" is viewable.

27. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Most of you guys are of the same opinon as me,

I do feel cheated that COMET, would not even accept a return even after only 5 -6 hours, There case was it was opened and used.

At the first point of return i did not say to them i wanted my money back, I would have been quite happy to settle for a credit note or exchange for a different make of camera (once bitten !), but as this was not offered, i then felt it was necessary to ask for a refund.

I know these guys are only doing a job, but in my job as a taxi owner, if i was to speak and handle customers as they do, i would be pennyless. there is no better advertising than word of mouth!

i have recently just bought a 12v car battery and wheel barrow, i have wired the camera directly to this, so i am now able to take 38 shots. bit of a bugger to lug about though! :D :D :rotfl:

28. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Is it not worth giving Samsung a ring,if they agree 15 shots is not satisfactory then surely a refund is in order.

29. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Not exactly. You tried to get a refund because you decided the camera wasn't for you. They are entitled to refuse that.

If you can establish the camera is faulty (by ringing Samsung) then you are entitled to a refund.

If the camera is not faulty and genuinely will only take 15 photos on one set of good quality batteries then I would consider it not fit for purpose and you can tell the store that you are rejecting the goods as not fit for purpose. It should be quite easy for the store to check this while you're there; you could even threaten them with adverse publicity - it won't do Comet any good for Watchdog to explain that they sell cameras that only take 15 photos one a set of batteries.

30. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Why do you think someone on minimum wage would care about Watchdog?