whats your experiences of (I HATE) comet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by geomuss, Apr 19, 2007.

1. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I have to write this because i need to see if any of you guys and gals have had similar experiences.

I recently took the brood for a day out to safari park, and on the way remembered had not brought a camera. So stopped of at comet and purchased
    a samsung 6mp supposedly reduced to 80.00. So gets to PArk lets take some photos, within 6 shots camera out of batteries, mmm nip to shop buy another pack 15 shots later dead as a door nail. so pack it up and decide that it does not meet my requirements, also find the imaging a bit suspect!

Back at (I HATE) comet. explain situation to Smary condesending :censored:, who tells me that i should have bought rechargeable batteries, yes i know they last a bit longer but, i would expect better out of a duracell than 15 shots. sorry not taking it back! its not faulty!

by now i tried to explain that the camera is not suited for the purpose that it was intended to do take photos basically because the bloody thing uses that much power turning on i cant get to take a photo!

sorry sir! nope you should have tried it in the store, before buying!
    what about the 28 day money back guarantee?:mad:
    Nope does not apply to good that have been opened!!!
    but how can i use it, without opening it? :mad:
    Dont know but, you have and we will not be accepting it back!!
    what about the 7 day guarantee. ie if its not suitable?:mad: :mad: :mad: NOPE. only applies to internet customers!!!!

i ask to see manager, 2 minutes later a smug, self centered little **** comes
    out,

sorry sir you have opened it, and we can not take it back!!
    i explain again its 6 hours old took 20 snaps and is crap! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    well you should not have opened it!!!

by this time i lost the plot, i have to say i threatend the manager with much violence. Swore, shouted and basically wanted to string the 2 smug little :censored: up!!

i know i should have remained calm but we all have our breaking points!

the moral of the story is DONT shop at COMET!

i have since been back to comet, where i intended to purchase a 2599 pioneer plasma, when they brought it out, iasked them to open it, turn the thing on, run a decent feed into it so i could see picture quality, and said NO!

it was not up to standards and as it had not left the store, iwas quite within my rights to refuse! just a little bit of revenge!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Have you tried rechargeable batteries? I'm not sure that they are supposed to last longer than Duracells - sounds like its faulty and you are entitled to reject the goods if you're quick enough.

3. vespats

vespats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem with COMET aswell.

Bought a new cooker from them had it fitted come to use it at night and realised that it had no shelves inside. Went straight back to comet where they told me i would have to wait upto 28 days to get some. I asked if they had some in another cooker at another branch which they said yes but couldnt have them as they couldt sell a cooker without the shelves at which point i went mad as they had sold me one with out shelves.

I asked to speak to the manager who was some jumped up women who asked me if i had a microwave which i replied yes and she said at least i had got something to cook my meals in until i recieved my shelves, GREAT CUTOMER SERVICE.

I wrote to head office with no joy and had to wait 21 days until i could use my cooker when my shelves arrived.

So yes COMET is not very good after you have purchased your item buy all my stuff now from currys and had no problems with them.

4. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158

i have resigned myself to keeping it! but I WILL NEVER buy another thing from (i HATE) COMET again. their customer service has to be the worst in the electrical business. tried rechargeable bought 2600 Mah batteries they last for approx 25 snaps. my old fuji will run for days on normal ones ! you live and learn i suppose!

5. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I feel your rage. I also had a comet problem now I will not go near them. I wait outside. :smashin:

How to resolve issues with comet, get a friend/family member to lend you a child go into the store and stick them on the counter and tell them to say "i want the camera!!!!!!!!!" I have seen this a few times now!

6. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    dam if i had knew that, i would have took MY SEVEN kids in, that were outside!! :rotfl: :D :smashin:

7. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    As with all these large high st chains they employ people very cheaply and thus get the bottom of the barrel, if you want good customer service then look elsewhere, these places are full of idiots who know nothing about the products they sell, they have no interest in anything and just sit around waiting for the shift to end. These places are lifeless. Not one of these stores have I been in are any of the staff knowledgable, if they had any knowledge of what they were selling they would be earning more than what they do (few pence over min wage). They are employed to take cash off unsuspecting punters and thats it. You pay peanuts you get monkeys.

8. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Wow quite a derogatory tone you have there, as i used to be one of "those people" ill have to disagree, there are some people who work in those stores who do know what thier talking about, also there are some who like to give good customer service. I like to think i was one of them :)

Plus some people work there through choice, studying perhaps, family commitments which means they need more flexible hours.

No doubt the people you have such a distaste for are indeed common but before you tar every person who works in the service industry with the same stereotypical brush, i thought id give you the other side of the coin.

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    OP, don't ever go in pc world if you think comet are bad!!!

10. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    never had an experience with them YET! ha ha

so who do you guys use ?, i find that to be honest as a previous post said it depends who you get, some are more than willing to accomodate you while lets just say leave a lot to the imagination! i would not say i was a big electrical spender but over the last six months i have spent ni on 6,000 pounds, having 7 kids something is always going wrong! :D So comet can now count themselves out, their loss not mine!

11. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I had the utter displeasure of working for Dixons when I left school, sometime around 1991, you get told to go on the shop floor and sell waht you can by whatever means and get the cash in the till and the customer out of the door, as you point out some of the employees are worth their weight but 99% are monkeys that don't know anything. I don't blame the employees as we all have to work somewhere to pay the bills etc, I blame DSG, they give hardly any product training and we were told to lie just to make a sale, and of course to sell the extended guarantees. The whole thing to me was completely false and I always seemed like I was forcing punters to buy something they didnt want or need just to make unrealistic sales targets.

Maybe my words could have been chosen better but I stand by alot of what I said, most of the people in these places are numptys.

Made me laugh once when I was with a mate in Currys buying something and overheard some chimp trying to explain HDMI to a punter, High Def Movie Encryption, I know they are bad but I thought they could read.

12. Dynaudio Desire

Dynaudio Desire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Our tumble dryer was sposed to be delivered 2 weeks after our purchase of it. It came to the time and date they were sposed to deliver and no tumble dryer arrived. We rang them up and they said "They were two busy" and would deliver it a week later and yet again it didn't turn up. 6 weeks later a tumble dryer arrived.

Not good.

13. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    yeah i know where your coming from... was in a large electrical store picking up discs, and having a wee browse, when i overheard the assistant talking to a potential victim :oops: sorry customer. She was just wanting to connect two computers together which were 5 feet apart on seperate desks, so they were able to file share and use internet.

expecting the guy to give her the easy answer hmmm, he told her she needed

modem router, 2 wireless cards, new virus software due to ROUTER attacks and all the sundries!!! :eek:

i waited till he went to get some more essentials, and butted in told her what i heard and told her to ask him for a cat5
    crossover cable instead!

he came back, she asked and he stammered, stuttered "oohhh yeah that could work"

had a good giggle about that for days! :devil:

14. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    my gripe is with currys i will never spend money in there again

15. geomuss

geomuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    what happened ? cant leave us in suspenders sorry suspense!

16. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Post in the Digital Camera forum - I'm not an expert on cameras, but it surely it must last longer than that. Or you could ask the manufacturer's support dept.

17. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Trouble is it's not the company it's the people that work there if you have no luck take the item to another store , thats what i do.

18. Goody

Goody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    A couple of years ago I bought a washing machine from Comet. They could only deliver it on a given date and could not even give am or pm without me chinging out more money which I did not want to pay.

When it was delivered it was faulty. I called them and told them they had to collect it. I rejected the goods and had my card refunded but as I was going on holiday 4 days later, I told them I could not take a day off work for them to collect it as they could only give am or pm!

I told them I was rejecting the goods but I had to make such a fuss about them collecting it. The manager eneded up driving to my house and collecting it in his own car after I told them I was going away for 2 weeks and would just leave it on my drive if they did not collect it in the next 2 days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have vowed never to buy anything big from them again but happily go in there to get a price for pricematching at another store. I tend to favour the local coop store or another local electrical retailer.

They are normally quite happy to pricematch when I say I do not wish to use Comet!

19. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Not (I HATE) Comet I know but, my lad bought a Sat-Nav from a Tesco store in Croyden while working away from home (150 miles) A few months later it went faulty and he tried to return it to a Tesco store near home. He had lost his receipt & no box either. The lady in the customer service desk was unable to accept it for return BUT she advised my lad to buy another Sat-Nav from there go out side & swap the faulty unit for the new one & then return that one for a refund.
    Now that's what I call customer service.

20. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    I was advising my dad on a new tv, so I could show him what I was talking about I took him to Dixons to have a look at a few sets.

The salesman who opted to help us claimed that plasmas need re-gassing also the brightness faded after a year! Then I had to explain to him the difference between 1080i and 1080p. :thumbsdow

To be fair the lad was only about 16, he had obviously been fed a pack of lies by the older staff and was just regurgitating it to the ignorant masses.

21. davidjohnson

davidjohnson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,453
    I had a couple of bad experiences with Comet around 12 years ago and while I managed to get them resolved (eventually) I decided never to shop there again and encourage friends and family to do the same.

I feel satisfied that I have stuck to my decision :cool:

22. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Wow, I like it indeedy.

To the OP, I'd break the cam and return it to another store, demand a refund and say you've got another via a friend.

Liam

23. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    refused to do a price match when all the boxes where ticked.....got the spotty manager out, got head office on the phone, got area manager on the phone......no joy..:mad: ...i was fff-in fuming how i didnt go for the manager i will never know

24. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    I'm quite convinced that Tesco and ASDA will have destroyed DSG, some of the online retailers and quite possibly Comet within a decade. I bought an iPod Nano for my brother from Tesco before chrimbo and was favourably impressed by the knowledge of the chap who sold it to me (he ensured that I understood PC/Mac requirements, pointed out that the supplied 'phones would benefit from an upgrade and cautioned that 1gb would in actuality result in less tracks than the claims- all stuff I knew anyway but it was nice all the same).

The fact I also bought it at 10.15pm on a friday also speaks volumes for why I believe what I do.

25. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    That was probably just the individual. For example my brother worked in Comet for a while after doing an electrical engineering degree... I doubt that asda/tesco furnish their employees with any more info on products than DSG do.

26. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    You can have all sorts of strange experiences in these stores. Our trusty old Bosch fridge freezer developed a compressor fault. Passing Currys one day, I decided to scout around for a replacement. I walked up and down the aisles looking at the various makes/designs on show and decided that, to replace the existing capacity, I would be better of getting a separate upright fridge and freezer. Being a fan of Bosch, I spotted just what I needed. I eventually attracted the attention of a somewhat disinterested lady posing as a member of staff and indicated that I was interested in buying the pair.
    They were a distance apart in the store, and it took me a moment to notice that, although they appeared to be matching models, the two on display had different handles. A minor problem, no doubt, as one was probably just an older model still on display.
    Could she insure, if I were to order them, that I would get a pair with matching handles?
    No.
    Why not? You won't know if the handles are the same until you open them when they are delivered.
    Couldn't they be checked before leaving the warehouse?
    No.
    Oh, OK. How much is delivery, by the way?
    £50
    Ah, OK, thanks for your help.
    You see, when she had been checking their website, I rather daringly peeked over her shoulder and spotted that the freezer was £324.99 on the web as opposed to £379.95 in store, and the fridge offered a similar online saving, being £267.98 as opposed to £329.95. Delivery was shown as £19.99, so £10 saved there as well.
    Back home, I checked their website, and was surprised to see that the models there also had different handles. Well, they probably hadn't updated the picture. A quick call would sort it out, no doubt.
    I won't bore you with the details of the protracted, and at times surreal, conversation, but the upshot was that, no, they could not guarantee that I would get a pair with matching handles. The order gets sent to the warehouse "electronically", you see.
    Could you attach an "electronic" note to the pickers to send two with matching handles?
    Computer says "No".
    Could you ring the warehouse and explain the situation?
    Computer says "No".
    Look, I don't mind if I get two old handles, or two new handles, just as long as they match.
    Computer says "No".
    I eventually gave up, stunned that I was finding it so hard to spend £632.95.
    By now, I had become almost obsessive about acquiring exactly the models I had decided on, so I contacted the Bosch tech help line. After the nice gentleman had managed to stop laughing, he expressed a level incredulity that almost matched my own.
    Ye'r havin' a laff, mate
    No, really, it's all true. Can you help me spend my money, please? I'll do anything, I really will.
    Calm down sir, calm down. These symptoms are not unusual in Currys' customers. We get it all the time.
    As you can imagine, I felt I was now in the hands of a professional who would make it all go away.
    Just a moment, sir, and I'll ask my colleague where in N.I. you can get them.
    After some more muffled guffaws from the colleague, I was given the address and telephone number of a Bosch distributor and retailer.
    I called them, feeling a renewed faith in the Human Race.
    Yes, we have those two in stock.
    Do they have matching handles?
    Sorry?
    Matching handles, do they have them?
    Well, er, of course they do. Bosch designed them to be used side by side as a matching pair.
    They really have matching handles?
    Matching, sir. Yes sir.
    How much?
    £614 the pair, sir
    And delivery?
    Oh, we don't charge for delivery sir.
    So, matching handles, £614 the pair, and no delivery charge?
    Exactly, sir. You have grasped the situation accurately.
    Can I kiss you?
    click..............................................

27. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    good post! :D

28. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I'd be careful if I were you. He may have meant that the handles were £614 a pair :)

29. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    As an ex idiot;) sorry comet employee (whilst a student) I can tell you that.

Contact customer
    Obtain needs
    Match needs with product
    Ensure satisfaction
    Take money

Is all about selling warranty, services and high revenue accessories. The profit margin on the actual electrical goods can be quite low but sell a few accessories even cheap ones like batteries and the profit goes up. I would say the career salesman who are smart alec think they know everything charmers can be a right pain often they don't know anything they just come across as so confident most will believe the colour of snow is brown.
    The part time student salesman type are ok as they will often hover around certain areas such as PC's and Hifi where they know what there doing and avoid white goods like the plague. Then there are the others who don't know anything about anything and the only reason there not working in the warehouse is they don't have a hunchback or drool. :D

If you ask a salesman which is better, they will look at the label to see which has the highest commission code and point at that. After all do you really think that people work fulltime there for the hourly rate?

I actually find the DSG to be just as bad and often worse but I guess people have bad experiences at both.

If you want to be left alone just say "I am buying on the internet just came here to have a look"

I left the company because I hated the constant pressure to sell warranties etc and the commission rates really went downhill.

If anyone is interested the commission codes are four letters on the bottom right of the shelf edge label and work thus XXXA = 1p XXXB = 2p etc so XBAX would be £2.10. Most little goods have a commission values of less than a £1 but some LCD's etc could have as much as £50 EXXX on them not bad if the product is actually a good one as well as its easier to sell. I remember working there one Christmas and they had this very nice Panasonic digital camcorder very good spec and a fair price with £20 commission for me every time I sold. I sold 27 of them in a month had almost the entire stock allocation for the southwest.

30. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    No delivery charge for crossing the 'woter' now thats new :smashin: