1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your experience of EBAY auctions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by partyweb, Mar 4, 2005.

?
  1. Best place to get a bargain!

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Good if you know what you want

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. OK but buyer beware

49 vote(s)
    49.5%
  4. Don't trust it with a bargepole!!

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. Never used ebay

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck with EBAY auctions for good bargains?

Has anyone got any EBAY horror stories?

How about some tips for winning the best buys.

And how do you spot a fake/pirate on EBAY?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Moved to DVD Talk.

3. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely General chat would have been better?

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Not really, the question is about DVDs on Ebay, spotting fake/pirate DVDs etc if it was about general items on Ebay then general chat would be best. I will leave it here for now.

5. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Cheers for moving the post Greg. I must admit I personally thought the bargains area was the best for the question as those that frequent that area probably have more experience of EBAY.

Mind you the other reason I posted it there is I didn't know this area existed. I wonder how many other members tend to stick to just a few areas of avforums. I personally have the bargains sections bookmarked and jump straight in there each day.

6. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's why your a mod and i'm not :) i missed the fake/pirate bit.

7. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well i voted buyer beware, over the last two weeks i have bought a number of dvds off ebay. Out of the 10 or so i have bought 3 have been fakes region 0 hk copys. What annoys me more is the sellers i asked before hand if they where orginal dvd have all stated yes but you can tell right away they aint. To counter this i have grabbed a few bargins as well law and order season 1 and 2 for £11 each dodgeball for a fiver and a few others which where all orginal. I would say feedback dont mean nowt on most of the sellers as idot people who buy them know and dont care that they have bought a copy as long as its a good copy. I would say ask the seller first if he stats to you its orignal and you get a copy demand a refund and report him to ebay etc etc.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I have never bought DVDs off Ebay and don't think I ever will. With DVDSoons prices being so dirt cheap, I don't think I would ever take the risk or even have the need to buy them off Ebay. Unless you are after an ultra rare DVD I would steer clear of Ebays DVDs.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Likewise. The only dvd's I've ever bought are ones that are out-of-print ones i.e. some old Disney titles.

One, I just don't trust a lot of the sellers and two, eBay is quite an efficient market - when browsing I don't often see any great bargains.

10. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Never really bought many DVD's on E-Bay. You can soon spot the Pirates.

I have bought a lot of other stuff there though.

Denon AVC-A10SE (Buyer posted name as AVC10SE so i picked it up 18 mth ago for £420)

Denon AVC-A11SR (bidding ended new yrs eve, so got it A1 18mth old for £550
    )
    Pioneer DV-737 18 months ago for £180

+Loads of leads from America at STUPID prices.

It really is easy to spot the idiots by looking at their feedback.
    I've got a feedback of 303......100% positive to give you an idea of a good trader although the latest Amp seller had just 1 positive. We all have to start somewhere.

11. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I buy film programs etc off e-bay, but am very wary of dvd's.
    The only ones I have bought are 2 x sealed R3 copies of Malena SE.
    I have been frightened to bid for alot of the Disney titles such as Jungle Book and Tarzan as there are some real horror stories about poor pirated copies.
    I think if you can find a reputable seller then stick to him, but if a deal seems too good to be true it usually is (i.e. Jungle Book for a fiver).

12. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Overall some very good advice (esp Supermac above), keep it coming :thumbsup:

Does anyone else feel by reporting the seller to ebay and thus tarnishing their reputation is a good enough threat to getting your money back?

13. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Havnt paid more than £3.00 for a dvd on ebay.Had some great bargains.Manhunter £1.24 delivered. :thumbsup:

14. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It can be a way of getting your money back it has worked for me once or twice. Some will then in turn leave you bad feedback which i think should be stopped. Your endof the deal is the paying part once that is done then the seller should be forced to leave you feedback. Not hold your feedback till you leave them the right feedback.

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I put it's good if you know what you're looking for because i'm pretty good at spotting fakes/pirates. I've bought a lot of dvd's off e-bay, probably 50ish and have never had a fake. You can spot them easily once you get the hang of it, but you do need to know what to look for or you will be ripped off.

I've also got some excellent bargains, like the Nightmare On Elm Street Collection R1 for £28 but also a few where they were in bad condition, or ex-rentals that weren't described as such. I actually had a couple from one guy listed as "mint" which had scratched discs and broken cases, so although i gave him a positive, my comment was that the items were in poor condition so any future buyers will take his descriptions of "mint" with a pinch of salt.

I've also had a few auctions where the buyer didn't send the item after i'd paid, but i've always ended up getting my item, as i constantly pester them and threaten them (with legal action) until i receive it. I bought the Alien Quadrilogy from a guy and his girlfriend for £31 back when it was still selling at full RRP, but i spent a couple of months of constantly emailing them before i got it. In the end what swung it for me was threatening to take the girl's mother to court for the money because it was her mother's bank account i had to pay the money to. Nasty, yes, but you gotta do whatever it takes.

16. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    you just carnt buy or sell a new release on ebay if you buy one at any sort of a bargin price its most likly going to be a copy or a cheap asian import.

older titles bargins can most definatly be found

17. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Thanks for your extensive comments Marc, but can you share with us some of your tips for not being ripped off?
    :lease:

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ok, well here's a list of things to look for

FEEDBACK - always a giveaway. If the seller has ANY negative or neutral feedback, chances are there's a reason. Look through every bit of feedback to see the comments, because even the positives might actually have negative comments, i know i sometimes leave negative comments in a positive because i dont want to leave negatives and have one left back for no reason. Just because someone has 10,000 positives and 50 negatives does not make them a good seller. Like i said in my previous post, 99% of ebay users wouldn't know a dodgy dvd if it bit them, but the ones that do know the difference are the few that count.

Use the free tool located HERE to quickly browse a user's negative and neutral feedback messages

Oh and you can make your feedback private if you like.. i wouldnt buy from anyone hiding all their feedback though, would you? Almost seems like they've got something to hide..

LOCATION - try and make sure your seller is located in the UK if at all possible. Definitely avoid sellers located in Hong Kong, Korea, Thailand, China as their trick is normally to sell a dvd for £4.99 or so but have £8 postage or mandatory £5 postage insurance, things people don't instantly notice; and DEFINITELY avoid Malaysia as you can't actually get legal dvd's over there, the whole country is just a big bootleg marketplace

example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60868&item=6375962214&rd=1

SUSPICIOUSLY LOW PRICES - If you've just seen a brand new sealed region 1 dvd of a movie that came out on DVD last week for 5.99, yep, i'd advise staying away! Even wholesalers don't get their discs cheap enough to sell them for that price, so what chance does an eBayer have? Nope it's most likely a copy, good rule to follow here is, if it looks too good to be true, it normally is. :lesson: OK maybe occasionally it'll mean you'll miss out on a possible bargain, but what's better; getting one £5.99 original and nine £5.99 fakes, or just not buying any of the 10?

example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41527&item=6375815996&rd=1

CUSTOM PACKAGING - Ever seen the message "we don't send our dvd's in their normal cases, we package them in DVD SLEEVE for extra padding and to save you postage" or words to that effect? Yeah, its a bunch of crap. If it's not in its normal case, it's a fake and you should steer clear. An amaray/digipak costs sod all to post anywhere in the world, and a little plastic sleeve does not offer better protection than a full sized case :rolleyes:

example: (thanks to smashed) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60868&item=6377814684&rd=1

THE SUN ICON - it means it's a new item. and a hell of the lot of the fakes are very short 1 day auctions, so they always have the sun icon.. it makes them stand out to attract buyers without actually paying any extra, but what it should do is make you completely ignore the auction.

DESCRIPTION - Look for telltale signs in the description that make you think the dvd is a fake. DTS SOUND where there shouldn't be any is a common one but there are plenty of other suspicious things to see in the description, such as incorrect number of discs or different special features to that which should be on the disc. Search for the dvd you're looking at on www.dvdcompare.net to find out what should be on it.

PHOTO - look at the photo they are using. Is it a stock photo, or is it an actual product shot? If it's a stock photo, does the seller say somewhere that their item may differ from the photo? If so it's probably a fake. Is it a product shot that looks different from the photo you saw on play.com? If so, probably fake again! Does it have a pretty gold holographic "9" sticker on it? If so it's 100% fake.

example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12593&item=6517667196&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

example 2: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6375645652&rd=1

RELEASE DATE - Is the dvd even out yet? No? Then how did someone manage to get hold of an advance copy to sell on ebay? Do they know the producer, do they have connections? NO, they're a pirate and they copied a dvd screener or maybe even a cam or telesync.. stay away!

example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41561&item=6376095138&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

INSTANT PAYMENT - some auctions have "instant payment required" listed which means that you do not actually win the item until you have already paid for it via paypal. This is very crafty as it makes it impossible to use postage discounts that the seller may offer, and you are legally obliged to pay full price for each dvd.

EMAILING THE SELLER - always email the seller about a potentially fake dvd. You can tell from their response whether it is fake most of the time. Ask something like "Is this DVD an official retail release, identical to the one i could buy in a high street store, or is it an import or a backup?" This puts your point across without annoying the seller. Use the word Backup rather than copy or pirate or bootleg, as it's legal to own a "backup copy" of a dvd you already own, so they will not get their nose put out of joint. If the seller does not respond, ITS A FAKE, if the seller responds vaguely, such as "I import my dvds from america, hope this answers your question" ITS A FAKE and if they act dumb, ITS A FAKE. Basically you need a comittment in the reply that the item is infact an original retail dvd, as no pirate is stupid enough to tell you it's an original if it's not, as they could get themselves into a lot of trouble legally.

i may think of some more things, but off the top of my head thats about it for now..

19. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I usually don't look at recent releases on e-bay, because i don't want to look at 1000 copies before i see one genuine one, i do however use them to get older films which i haven't got in my collection yet, or the odd gem that is out of print.
    bought some rare Jaques Tati DVD's that way and some older films like Blade for £1.20 and Confessions of a dangerous mind for 1.40 amongst others.

20. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Every Dvd I have ever purchased off ebay has turned out to be a fake.
    I only buy rare stuff that is not available, anywhere else, and am always hopeful but
    Usually they turn out to be "off air" recordings (if you're lucky), sometimes copys from VHS, but worst of all are the low quality re-encodes from VCD or internet downloads.

21. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    marc, your tips are superb :clap:

22. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Marc's tips are spot-on. I voted "OK, but buyer beware" in the poll, simply because e-Bay is so full of dodgy DVD's, pirates, VCD's et al, that I'm not willing to risk my money, just to save a few pounds.

I'd rather pay full-price in the UK, than risk a cheap disc off of e-Bay, simply because at least from a high-street store, I have a good chance of being able to get a refund, if the disc isn't what it should be, or is damaged.

To be honest, unless a disc is ultra-rare or deleted, then people shouldn't really use e-Bay to buy DVD's from. It's just a fraudsters paradise on there! With all the excellent, legit and cheap DVD sites like Play, Movietyme, CD-Wow, et al, you can still buy cheap discs, without all the stress, risk and hassle. More to the point, you aren't likely to get screwed-over!

Pooch

23. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I tried eBay for a couple of things and wasn't very impressed.The first was the Queen box of Flix (before officially released).It had been a giveaway item with,I think,a Pioneer DVD player.I wanted it,paid for it and got pirate copies back.Though I was refunded I lost the postage.I also reported the trader to eBay and FACT.
    The second item was a Star Wars figure for my son-no problem.
    The third was a VHS copy of one of the Ewok films,again for my son.I sent a cheque-no video.The seller advised he hadn't received the cheque.No problem,I sent another cheque.No video again.The seller said he hadn't had the cheque again,and I forfeit the item.I think he realised he had drastically undersold the item,and wanted to re-sell it.
    I will never use it again.
    P.S.A little bird tells me the tax office are looking at eBay.Anyone selling on here may be trading illegally if they are doing it as a business.I can't verify this,but it came from a good source.

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have been stung once on ebay . I sell mostly. I have a 100% postive feed back and the guy that staung me simply bid on an item for a joke, so I just relisted the item. As long as you are carefull when buying then you stand a good chance of every thing working out ok.

My rule of thumb is , is that if something looks to good to be true, it normaly is :D

25. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    This only applies if the traders turnover is above the VAT threshold which I believe is 56/58K per year. If you are under this there is no legal requirement to account for VAT. (i think!)

26. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Hi Greghook.
    You're right about the tax thresh-holds but that's for VAT purposes.There are other implications if someone is doing it to make a profit.I only mentioned it because it might get rid of a few of the dodgy sellers,of which there are some.Businesses who sell on there have nothing to fear as they will already be keeping books etc.

27. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    There are so many idiots who buy from Ebay..
    The seller makes comments like "region free, official release" for something like House of Flying Daggers, or R2, official release, when its not even out on R2.
    Yet people seem willing to pay more than they do to the people selling the official R3 copy. Makes no sense to me.
    Then there is this..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60868&item=6377814684&rd=1

Somebody just bought I Robot (1 disc) for £16 plus £2 postage, for a DVD from China, classified as R1 or R3, and is being sold without the case "to save on shipping costs".

Yet the buyer has a feedback of 93..

28. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i've been looking for a link like that for my guide a few posts back, i hope you don't mind that i've added it to my post. Oh and if someone paid me £16 for an unboxed possibly fake copy of i, robot, i'd give him a positive too ;)

29. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I buy a quite a lot from ebay, though I've never bought a DVD - as someone previously said, you can get them so cheap esp R1/R3 and by the time p&p is taken into account you'd need to do a lot of hard bidding on ebay to get an equiv deal.

I have mainly bought CDs esp CD singles - usually can get these sub £2 inc p&p. Have also bought a few SACD's - £8 inc p&p is my upper limit for these.

Best bargain was a £700 laserdisc player I bought for my brother whose LD had gone kaput -got it for £40 inc P&P, came orig boxed / mint / even had the orig receipt in the box from 10 yrs previous!

But yes, you have to know what you are doing and not get carried away. Set yourself a limit (always inc the p&p) and don't go above it - there will always be another one along if you don't win!

Some of the previous advice given on this thread is top notch by the way!

...PJ

30. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    No worries, glad its of use.
    Just a pity that the people who need the advice are people who are obviously people who arent clued up... ie, people who wont visit specialist forums like this.
    If idiots stopped buying.. we wouldnt have to sift through all the rubbish that is now littering ebay.