• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's your colour

jpr141

Has anyone exprimented with the hdmi colour space settings on there pioneer bluray players. I tried ycbcr 4:4:4 on my pioneer 320 bluray player tonight , and im pretty sure the picture looks better than the auto setting i previously had it on. I use the player on a sony 40w4000 lcd. I also read tonight that some sony displays natively sample at ycbcr 4:4:4 , maybe mine does and this is why i feel there was an improvement.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Has anyone exprimented with the hdmi colour space settings on there pioneer bluray players. I tried ycbcr 4:4:4 on my pioneer 320 bluray player tonight , and im pretty sure the picture looks better than the auto setting i previously had it on. I use the player on a sony 40w4000 lcd. I also read tonight that some sony displays natively sample at ycbcr 4:4:4 , maybe mine does and this is why i feel there was an improvement.

YCbCr 4:4:4 and YCbCr 4:2:2 are simply different stages of upsampling. The chroma data on DVD/Blu-ray is subsampled (a form of compression) using a YCC 4:2:0 scheme. All player must upsample this to at least YCC 4:2:2 and this can be transmitted at up to 12bit precision over any version of HDMI. Most players have options to fully upsample to YCC 4:4:4 or RBG. Prior to HDMI 1.3 Deep Colour the later schemes were limited to 8bit precision over HDMI.

All display must ultimately fully upsample chroma but some may use specific schemes for internal processing meaning any other scheme is converted to this. For example some video processing solutions convert everything to YCbCr 4:2:2 to process.

In reality it's simply about video processing and test material such as Spears & Munsil will highlight if a particular scheme works better with your combination of products than another.

AVI

jpr141

YCbCr 4:4:4 and YCbCr 4:2:2 are simply different stages of upsampling. The chroma data on DVD/Blu-ray is subsampled (a form of compression) using a YCC 4:2:0 scheme. All player must upsample this to at least YCC 4:2:2 and this can be transmitted at up to 12bit precision over any version of HDMI. Most players have options to fully upsample to YCC 4:4:4 or RBG. Prior to HDMI 1.3 Deep Colour the later schemes were limited to 8bit precision over HDMI.

All display must ultimately fully upsample chroma but some may use specific schemes for internal processing meaning any other scheme is converted to this. For example some video processing solutions convert everything to YCbCr 4:2:2 to process.

In reality it's simply about video processing and test material such as Spears & Munsil will highlight if a particular scheme works better with your combination of products than another.

AVI
What do you reckon on some sony tv's natively sampling at ycbcr 4:4:4. This info i found on the net apparently came from OPPO , they did research for someone who emailed them about the 4:4:2 or 4:4:4 issue which one to use. I cant recall exactly which sony tv model the emailer had.

Avi

Distinguished Member
What do you reckon on some sony tv's natively sampling at ycbcr 4:4:4. This info i found on the net apparently came from OPPO , they did research for someone who emailed them about the 4:4:2 or 4:4:4 issue which one to use. I cant recall exactly which sony tv model the emailer had.

Sorry I can't help with the Sony. If you send YCbCr 4:2:2 and the display uses YCC 4:4:4 for internal processing it simply upsamples to YCC 4:4:4 prior to processing. As I said they're just different stages of upsampling and YCC 4:2:2 will be fully upsampled at some stage.

I don't think there is universally correct answer hence the use of test material to identify any performance difference using different scheme with different combination of products. I use an Oppo and it's set to YCbCr 4:2:2 output.

AVI

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Sometimes I feel the manufactuers over complicate the settings too much.

With my Sony S350 player, I have been using RGB 0-255 most of the time. I still keep putting it on 4:4:4 and keep alternating back again. I am using a projector though rather than a TV.

I left it on auto for the S360 and my TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom