What's your bargain price point.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the pre-order prices that people are listing in the bargain forums I've come to the conclusion that the term 'bargain' is relative. Having seen how quickly most blu ray titles fall after initial release I've set some stringent criteria before I consider buying a BD. This is because 99% of my purchases are upgrades and I'm loath to pay top dollar for the pleasure of replacing a film I already own.

For a single catalogue release my bargain price point is 7.99. For a Disney Pixar title I'll jump in as soon as it hits 9.99 and for boxsets my price point is 17.99. I'm a little more flexible on complete series boxsets for TV shows.

So do you still pre-order or do you wait until a title has dropped in price, if so what is your bargain price point?

I suppose everyone's bargain point is dependent on how much disposable income they have. I myself cannot resist if i see a blu for £10 and under (as i'm avoiding the food shopping with the missus by escaping the the AV floor at our local Tesco) if it's something i want. I would consider a bargain in the AV classifieds £7 and under. Only really preorder the biggies now and again and would stilll pay about £15-£20

For me a brand new blockbuster type title I would probably go to £12 if it was something I really wanted such as Bad Boys, Armageddon etc.

Other new releases I would buy at £9.99, with slightly older ones waiting till the magic £7.99 price point.

For me a brand new blockbuster type title I would probably go to £12 if it was something I really wanted such as Bad Boys, Armageddon etc.

Other new releases I would buy at £9.99, with slightly older ones waiting till the magic £7.99 price point.

I like your avatar. :)

A bargain for new release = £10-12 for me

I have only preordered at full price a few times so I now wait until they are £8. I have gone up to £10 for certain titles such as imports. For boxsets I go up to £20.

According to my spreadsheet :blush: I've spent an average of £6.61 per film on BD. The most I've paid for an upgrade is the US Bladerunner 5 disc set at £21.40 and the least paid was for The Day After Tommorrow at £3.78. So I don't see 9.99 for a single title as a bargain.

For new I very rarely pay more than £10 .The only films I have spent more on are The Dark Knight, Star Trek and Avatar.

Second hand no more than £7.

With all the pre-order prices that people are listing in the bargain forums I've come to the conclusion that the term 'bargain' is relative. Having seen how quickly most blu ray titles fall after initial release I've set some stringent criteria before I consider buying a BD. This is because 99% of my purchases are upgrades and I'm loath to pay top dollar for the pleasure of replacing a film I already own.

For a single catalogue release my bargain price point is 7.99. For a Disney Pixar title I'll jump in as soon as it hits 9.99 and for boxsets my price point is 17.99. I'm a little more flexible on complete series boxsets for TV shows.

So do you still pre-order or do you wait until a title has dropped in price, if so what is your bargain price point?

I'm pretty much at the point now where I will only pay full price on day one for steelbooks, as this might be my only chance to pick them up.

Other than that, your criteria is pretty much the same as mine, although I would stipulate that I won't pick up EIV releases until they go sub £6 - which is usually about a week after they get released :devil:

Depends on the title, I suppose. Certain movies I'll just grab and others I refuse to pay more than a tenner for. I'm waiting for The Wolfman to hit that price region...

I'll only pre-order now for stuff that I really wanted to see at the cinema but missed out & then justify the cost on the basis that its a reasonable price if I compare to a cinema ticket, travel, drinks etc.

Anything else I'll wait for it to hit the offer section but if its not cheap quickly I won't bother & then I'll wait for it on skyHD.

Back catalogue stuff depends on the extras & whether I already have it on DVD but £7 is a to good to miss.

New releases I will pay upto £15 if I really want it, but I think catalogue titles should be sub-£10.

I'm waiting for Saving Private Ryan, War of The Worlds, Minority Report etc to hit the 2 for £15 bargain buckets !!

I'll drop 15 quid if it's a A+ title, otherwise 8 to 10 quid.

I've learned to wait anyway. Prices drop quick nowadays.

£9.99 for me with Blu-rays and £5 for DVDs. :D

I won't pay more than £18 for a single BD release though even with three discs and prefer them to cost £16 or less (non-steelbooks).

Bargain or not, i'll never purchase a title i'd never watch more than twice.

My absolute limit for a single movie is £17-18 and that's reserved for Criterions, some Sony Pictures Classics like Waltz with Bashir and The Fall, and Disney Diamond Editions, simply because they never really drop further in price so no point in waiting (speaking of US releases).

For certain big-name new and catalogue releases I'm willing to pay up to £14-15 provided they're really good releases with brand-new transfers like Avatar, Gone with the Wind, Fight Club, Dr. Strangelove etc.

In general though I think my real breaking point is £11-12, that's when I'll stop fussing. For example currently waiting for Shutter Island and The Last King of Scotland to hit that price.

If the releases aren't perfect, with less than stellar video, lossy audio or similar I'll try to get them way below £10. But I've also made a point of completely skipping poor releases, movies that I know I don't like all that much, and obvious double-dip candidates, no matter how cheap.

I don't bother preordering anymore so it is purely down to how long I can wait to get the best price. I was stung a few times by preordering - £30 for Dirty Harry set then £18 only a few weeks later. Red Cliff at £18 and then down to £9 just a week or so later.

£8 all day long for me, over £10 is a patience thing, like the Prophet this week !

Here in Ireland, you're talking around the €10 mark for a bargain, but you do occasionally see the odd €7 disc.

Bargain or not, i'll never purchase a title i'd never watch more than twice.

So you never buy off the cuff? Ive found some amazing films this way that I have never heard of before (my thinking being that if its off the cuff you arent sure if you will watch it more than twice)

Personally I look at most things under £12 - as in I at least consider whether its worth it , reading the cover etc etc,

New releases under £15/16 I have heard about and want to see, I usually end up getting (but completely ignore stuff I havent heard about)

Under £20 for Pixar stuff and other movies / actors I really like

I rarely buy anything over £20 unless its a boxset, and rarely get tins either

So you never buy off the cuff? Ive found some amazing films this way that I have never heard of before (my thinking being that if its off the cuff you arent sure if you will watch it more than twice)

Of course i have blind bought.
I was talking about buying something because it's cheap.
If i blind buy a movie and i think it could be good, i don't even think of the price.

Depends on the situation really.

Brand new release standard blu or blu and dvd £10 and under

Brand new release, all the bells and whistles version £15 and under

Second hand, £7 and under depending on movie, if it's a new release and second hand (sealed or not) £10 and uneder, none of this £1 off as it's like new like many people on the forum think. If I have a new release watch it and dont like it I take at least £5 off the new price or more, anything under that is pretty much taking the mick.
I may be a bit strict in my ways, but second hand is second hand. Don't matter if it's sealed or not I am buying second hand most the time as I cannot afford new, so £1-3 off the new price I might as well just buy it new in the first place since the price's drop so fast these day's.

Movie box set £17.99 and under (3 movie min)
Though when LOTR extended editions finally come out
(I wont buy the standard versions on blu as my dvd ee will do me till then) I'll probably have saved about £45 for the box set, as I think that would be worth it if they include all the special features of the dvd counterparts.
Indy I'd think £30 would be a fair price, but that'll be one that's £17.99 in no time.
As for Star Wars if it's a 6 film box set, I'd say £50 would be a fair price with some nice extra blu ray extra's.

TV - NA on blu, only get them on dvd dirt cheap, or dont bother.

I have some funny idea's about the price's of thing's, but I'm far from being rich so the cheaper the better, and I'll just save for the special thing's I like

tris

Indy I'd think £30 would be a fair price, but that'll be one that's £17.99 in no time.
As for Star Wars if it's a 6 film box set, I'd say £50 would be a fair price with some nice extra blu ray extra's.

Personally think you are dreaming on both counts - Indy will be £40 - 50, and possibly more, for the box set (because Im sure it will be all four movies) and each seperate movie (when this eventually happens) will be approx £15+ a title (premium movie, hopefully premium transfer = premium price)

It will be a long time before the box gets to sub £20 (even if it is only the first three films)

I doubt you can buy (at street level anyway) all 6 Star Wars films on DVD for sub £40, so to expect sub £50 for the BR is unrealistic imo, especially with all the extras they are likely to include (even if these are DVD based) - also given the Premium "plus" status of these films, there may be a super duper 6 movie set at a really premium price (some fancy case and "toys" maybe) for £100+, or two "standard" BR boxsets for each trilogy @ £40 / £50 each

This is GL we are talking about - he doesnt do things by half and they wont be cheap

Your probably quite close to what will 'eventually' happen.

Indy 4 only £7.99 new now:
Play.com (UK) : Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (2 Discs) (Blu-ray) : Blu-ray - Free Delivery
So that will probably get a re release nearer the time, singulary and in the set.
I'd not pay more than £30 for the set though, even if it is all four films, as the price of these things drop so fast it would be worth the couple of months wait. Waited this long, so a couple of months after release would be nothing.

As for Star Wars, I paid £25 for the original trilogy on dvd and £12 each for the following three, so around £60 in total for all 6.
Either way, Lucas wont be releasing these any time soon, and there was rumour when blu ray was first about that he'd be waiting until 3D had kicked in.
I'd imagine that he'd want to milk as much as possible, so will probably be individual films first, then orginial trilogy box set, new trilogy box set, same but with toys and additional extras, 6 movie boxset, 6 movie extravaganza with toys additional material (I'd go as far as this being about £130), moving into repeating the whole process with the 3D versions of the films that he has wanted to do for years.

Indy will come in the next year or so I imagine, and Star Wars could be years away yet, so let's just live in hope that he'll be nice :)

tris

Star Wars has been mentioned as being released in late 2011.

In fact it was a Lucasfilm employee who stated this as being true. They're working on a superset apparently.

Think the story was in HCC or another mag not so long ago.

Here's a website with the news.

Lucasfilm Confirms Star Wars Blu-ray Set, Still No Release Date | TheHDRoom

I remember reading that the Indy trilogy was meant to be a late 2009 blu ray release, but just turned out to be a rumour.

Would be great if it's next year, better if this year.
I'll believe it when I'm ordering it though, only time will tell.

tris

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom