What's Your Area/Town Like - Mine's Gone To Hell...

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I have lived in my area (NW London) for decades & it was always a sort of melting pot of various peoples that lived here over the decades - many of whom were culturally, politically & religiously diametrically opposed but despite this, until fairly recently, they all seemed to get on & there were no real problems or serious crimes in general nor was there any real issues or animosities between communities.

There was a vibrant high street that catered for all the shopping needs but that was destroyed by the council re-routing traffic & making severe changes that forced most businesses to close or move elsewhere. A few years a go, the local police station was closed down & it is very rare to see Police patrolling the streets - not even CPO's.

Decades ago, there were communities of the Catholic & Protestant Irish in large numbers & despite the political issues, they both lived together in peace. Then the West Indians arrived & despite some of them being targeted by authorities, most integrated well into the community & crime was generally low.

Then there were the various Asian communities who really helped build the area up & contributed greatly to it's growth. There was absolutely no issues between them either whether they were Indian, Pakistani, Sri-Lankan or Afghan - all worked really well together & with others.

We expected some trouble when we had a huge influx from the former Yugoslavia as we had large numbers of Bosnians, Serbs & Croats but even they kept quiet & all was pretty much good.

When the Polish arrived in large numbers as well, no body really had any exceptions to them - they worked in society & hardly caused any trouble or issues & had no issues getting along with anyone else on the whole.

There has a been a huge Muslim population that in prevalent in the area now & they have opened up many small businesses to cater for their base & huge Mosque opened up for them - again, there has been no real issues between them & any of the other groups mention above.

Over the last few years though, the place has gone to HELL - businesses are fed up of no support & crime in the area & leaving in even bigger numbers - firms like Tesco Express, McDonalds etc & many smaller independent ones. The High Street is now a pretty horrible place & scary place to go - almost near to a shanty high street state compared to what it used to be.

Gangs & youngsters openly doing Drugs & harassing people at all hours of the day. Robberies, Break-Ins, Violent Crimes, Assaults, Arson, Drugs, Rapes etc have had a huge increase. The Council has had it's head in the sand for many years now despite being warned of the dangers always doing what was in it's short term political interests & continues the same.

EVERY ONE of the communities mentioned is sick to the teeth of the situation regardless of which group/background they belong to - most are in agreement with each other but fed up of complaining/reporting & nothing substantial really ever gets done so people become fatigued.

People are really scared being being labelled as racists or "phobes" & this fully includes people of colour & ethnicity. They are also fed up that the criminals in the area get off lightly usually & come back to haunt the community many time after wards.

As an example (of just SOME of what I have learned but not an exhaustive list), just in the last week: there were 4 stabbings at a local train station, a couple of further stabbings elsewhere, a homeowner was attacked with a stun gun for no reason, a violent street attack last night & a shooting last night. This was just in my small immediate area & the issue is even worse when one considers the bigger town & areas.

Young or Old - all are targeted & it is not the great place it once used to be.

What is your area like & has any similar changes/issues occurred where you live? How does the Council/Authorities deal with the matter?

Suave!

Spendy26

Moved from London( Purley) to Bournemouth 14 years ago ( I am 39 now) there is such a difference down here far more relaxed and I would never dream of moving back. But I think every town has its issues and no place is perfect.

chump

not on comment on my area as such but I've noticed over the last 1-2 years if I'm sitting on a dual carriageway/motorway doing 70 almost every vehicle with the exception of HGVs and Old people pass me and often a lot quicker than I'm going. It doesn't bother me as I think the posted limit is too slow anyway but it must be as a result of lack of patrol cars/speed cameras compared to a few years back. Most speed cameras round my way don't have the 'camera' part inside them anymore (the truvelo type) so are non fuctional and/or covered with a bag. Roadside camera cars are very few and far between also recently. Again couldn't care less just something I've noticed. Multiple cars running red lights at once every day on my commute. Loads of people texting/on the phone/eating/drinking while driving - sometimes all at the same time. Add to that anecdotal evidence of police just not turning up to minor crime anymore. Traders' I work with have their vans broken into, 5-10k worth of tools stolen with cctv of it happening and the best they get is a crime reference number and a 'sorry theres nothing we can do about it' comment from the police.

If you ever watch any of those Police Cops programmes on TV and you see them chase a guy in a stolen car for 20 miles where he hits multiple cars, kills a pedestrian and has 10kg of heroin in the car and ends up getting 120 hours of community service.

Ultimately when you cut budgets so tight in services like Police, Fire, NHS etc this is exactly what is going to happen.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Welcome to Britain.
I imagine what you are describing is happening in most large towns/cities in the UK. Hence why I plan to move to the countryside once I've graduated

Jezza99

Banned
To be fair, large areas of NW London have been dodgy for a long time. You don't mention your specific area, but Harlesdon and Wembley have long had poor reputations.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
My little village has gone down hill recently, more to do with the Horse, caravan and driveway enthusiasts.
There are threats on the facebook page regarding the audacity of drivers going past their horses at 5mph.

Apparently we would need to sell our houses and move out if ever we hit one, which is nice :)

upload_2017-7-17_18-10-39.jpeg

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
We moved from a zone 2 London area to zone 6 in SE London to because it was going down hill back in 2000.

17 years later certain elements are slowly starting to move into the borough and reports stabbings amongst other things are increasing.

Problem is we're an outer London borough which hasn't had gang problems and less police than any other London borough & is now starting to see gang issues and still no more police.

A once decent borough with a low crime rate is slowly turning into everything that's wrong with some of the inner London areas

For the wife after 40 years in London we're off, moving down the Kent coast and it seems quite a few people are doing the same.

Last edited:

aVdub

Banned
I live in an area that's been dumped on by London authorities buying cheaper homes and emptying their waiting lists and anyone else that's up for a small payment to move out.

It's gone from a not that great an area to an absolute sh*thole in less than 8 years.
We and other locals we know and that includes those that moved away from the trouble area's of London many years ago to start a life away from it are now living in a new borough of London that's no where near the city.

Thoughts of moving 10/20 miles to another quiet village are pipe dreams now as many of these are being blanket covered with housing to house those that are being shipped out.

Not good times to be honest and those in the home counties and out towards the Essex, Kent and East Sussex coasts are being swamped and their voices are not being heard.

D

Deleted member 51156

Halifax used to have more bars in a square mile than Blackpool, allegedly, now it's a ghost town of a night, loads have closed down. I don't recognise the place from my youth, during the day it's a typical dumpy town with prams being pushed by ugly yoots in trackies tucked into their shoes.. I only ever visit to put money the bank.
The village where I live is ok, lot's of county barns, middle class estates and cottages, traffic can be bonkers, but pretty sedate tbh, can be a bit dingley, lots of passive aggressive parking and altercations on the busy country roads, mainly from the mid class estate peps..

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Lived in glorious Birmingham my entire life, some areas have completely gone to pot. Mine has progressively deteriorated in recent years. The usual inner city problems of knife crime, shootings, random violence, theft etc all too common now.

Me and my partner have a lot of weekend breaks in our converted van and spend a lot of time out in the sticks, we'd love to move out there for good but housing prices and cutbacks at work have put a stop to that for quite some time. If we ever get the chance at all.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Years of austerity. Not only there are cuts in social services, but people have less money to spend / live on in general. Hence more crime. Youth have little prospects these days, unless they come from a rich family. Universities are getting more expensive and many parents can't afford to send their children there to get better education / chance for better job in future. Wages are being frozen for years now.

Meantime rich are getting super-rich. Elites are zooming around in their Ferraris and Lamburghinis from their high-fenced mansions to their glass towers. They award themselves with massive payouts and bonuses. Amounts that normal people don't earn per year. Britain has now more billionaires / millionaires than ever before.

D

Deleted member 27989

Unfortunately it is people doing this, simply no excuses. It is people choosing to do this.

Only this afternoon, sadly, we received a call from the police who had taken my daughter to hospital after being attacked by 6 girls. In her case; because one of the girls boyfriend seen my daughter around town and remarked she is good looking.

It has nothing to do with austerity or anything like that it is a poor excuse for one's own bad behaviour, people choose to resort to violence. Just like other very good people choose to better themselves and get themselves out of it...More people today are going to university than ever before...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 27989

@dejongj Hope your daughter is ok. Sounds horrific.
It was, she is ok luckily but quite shaken still...

Dare I say - I've encountered it when I was younger quite a few times. Stupid reasons again; the kind of clothes I wore, the way I speak properly etc....

The main thing that worries me is when they stop using their fists and start using weapons...But it isn't new, there has alway been drug dealers, there have always been poor and rich people, there have always been fights....I don't like it, but it isn't anything new....I do think that the use of weapons is making people think twice to step in and help, and that is a shame. Also with the social media it is really hard to avoid anyone, and really easy to find anyone...

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I know that what I am about to write is very politically incorrect these days & will probably get me in trouble here but since the Police these days are so very stretched, so thin on the ground, so limited in what they can now do or investigate or are even willing to investigate - it seems like it is a never ending open day four the gangs & criminals & they know this only too well & take full advantage of it.

In the olden days, even between the Police & Community, things were handled in certain way. The Police handled only the very serious types of crimes & those in the community knew not to cross certain lines or there would be very real & fast consequences from certain individuals/groups who whilst undertaking unsavoury actions as a lifestyle, ensured that ordinary, everyday folks were looked after if need be - all with the knowledge of the Police.

It proved to be extremely effective & ironically, things that are happening today were almost unheard of then. If anyone ever attacked an elderly person or say raped a school girl etc - the person was dealt with in such a way, that it sent a very clear signal to everyone else not to follow their example & believe me, people listened & heeded the warnings & examples set.

In other lesser heinous bit still serious crimes, the offender was usually always given a chance to make good for their bad deeds & promise not to do such things again - there was forgiveness & understanding but so was the very real warning & promise that any further transgressions would simply not go unpunished.

It is sad to think that this was way more effective in protecting people in the community than what we now have decades later & just goes to show how very far backwards we have gone as a society. I know a Policeman who told me straight, if certain groups do crimes, they are told not to investigate as it is too politically insensitive.

I am not saying, that I think we should go back to the ways of old as described but rather that it is very, very sad that, despite it being based on such a flawed structure, it was so much monumentally more effective that what we have today.

Suave!

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I have 6 friends that moved out of London over the past decade or so. Every time I have to drive in there I look around and can see why.

Obviously there are exceptions in London but it's a bit of a hole nowadays.

I'll leave a few of the reasons for them leaving out of the thread.

Last edited:

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
London is a dump. I wouldn’t want a young daughter or son of mine walking around at night on their own.

Absolutely hate the place, there simply isn’t the infrastructure or resources to deal with the amount of problems encountered daily there.

As others have said above this isn’t austerity, it’s a lack of morale fibre in society nowadays. Kids have no discipline anymore and they know full well they can do as they please with little chance of any real punishment.

A teacher tells a kid off, the parent is up the school screaming at them because their kid would never do wrong, a copper nicks someone for driving drunk, uninsured at 100mpg through an estate and they get community service.

I mean surely we can see why things are going to pot here? Kids can live their wildest dreams safe in the knowledge there will be a small punishment.

Personally I worry where this country will end up once the older generation are gone and we’re left with generation after generation of lazy blame someone else oxygen wasters.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I live in a small market town in Suffolk. Over the past decade, and especially the last 2 years all the big shops have gone and been replaced with charity shops or just sit empty. We've lost Argos, Burtons, Clinton Cards, Blacks, Sports Direct only recently. The local shop owners are blaming the business rates, they are ridiculously high for such a small town, I believe for a small sized shop they've increased from about 30k a decade ago to over 100k now. Charities get to have the shops for much smaller rates which is why the town is now over run with charity shops and also coffee shops. That's practically all there is apart from Boots, WH Smiths and a local department store that sells clothes in beige to suit pensioners :)

Plenty of supermarkets, but all on the outskirts.

So yeah, pretty pants in town now, no point in going there shopping as next to impossible to buy what I'd want.

Jezza99

Banned
I think the current moped muggers throwing acid trend in London is quite telling. These kids don't suddenly become nasty little immoral barstewards overnight, they learn from an early age that they can do what they want and there will be no consequences. They were probably the 4 year olds biting and kicking their schoolmates, and graduated from there.

Call me old fashioned, but in days past they would have got a good spanking when young, and learnt that bad actions have bad consequences. Now, that doesn't happen. They get diagnosed with ADHD, treated with kid gloves, and get cautions and referral orders when they begin their inevitable criminal activities.

Then they are told that if they go out on mopeds without a crash helmet, the police will not pursue them in case they were to fall off and hurt themselves. A licence to commit crime. So as a society, we are more concerned with protecting nasty little acid throwers, than we are about protecting their innocent victims.

Thanks, liberals.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Tell you what I have found. Generally the young 'uns who go around doing and saying anything they want are now influencing how their parents (and in some cases even grandparents) act now.

Their precious little snowflakes, who can do no wrong, are now rotting society.

Used to be kids parking on double yellow lines, speeding through red lights, scattering pedestrians on crossings, pushing to the front of queues. I think what has happened is a trickle up effect. The parents are now thinking "If they can do it... I can do it".

I took my wife into town a couple of weeks ago. Mid Saturday afternoon. The place was crawling with drunken, middle age slappers and dickheads. They were rolling around shouting and fighting, they really should know better. Especially when you consider their kids are probably the doormen and bar staff they are fighting with.

Roll on the rapture :D

balidey

Distinguished Member
I'd also add to this, it's the numbers that are causing a lot of problems.
The town I live in used to be nice and quiet, it felt like a country village. The population has doubled in just over 20 years. Massive estates have been built. In a town with 1% 'undesirables', then double the base numbers, you get double the trouble makers. In a quiet town its 'that one is a wrong-un' but then it becomes 'that gang of teenagers at the park'.

I think it's the same with minority groups and their numbers. A small number of families of differing religions or race or background will try their hardest to fit in with the community. Because they have to, to enjoy their life here.
But if there are hundreds of families all with similar connections, then they will cluster together and not integrate. Why would they need to, so they don't
My town is apparently now desperate for migrant workers. Yet 20 years ago we were in the same situation, the mainly Polish workers came into the town, dotted around, fit in quite well from what I can remember. Now there are whole areas of the town that are almost 100% Polish, Lithuanian, Estonian, etc etc. And they don't mix. They don't want to. They don't have to. Some of the worst fights I have seen in my home town are amongst different groups of Eastern Europeans as they can't stand each other. There is a massive problem with racism in this country, but from what I have seen at home and at work, it is not the host population that are the racist ones, it is the migrant guests. And increase the numbers, you increase the problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom