Whats you Vista Score ??

hot-fuzz

Ive been playing around with Vista for a while now and come across an interesting feature.

If you click your "rating" in Computer - Properties you get a list of scores for individual processes of your PC.

Processor - P4 3.4GHz - 4.0
Memory (RAM) - 1791MB - 3.9
Graphics - Nvidia 5200 GeForce - 2.0
Gaming Graphics - 2.6
Primary Hard Drive - 400GB - 5.0

Giving me an overall score of 2.0 (takes the lowest apparently)

I have no idea what the top score is, but post yours up here and we can get a good idea of what a good spec for Vista is.

:thumbsup:

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I have a Dell 9150

Processor - P4D 920 2.8GHz - 4.7
Memory (RAM) - 1024MB - 4.5
Graphics - ATi X600 - 4.1
Gaming Graphics - 3.7
Primary Hard Disk - 250GB WD SATAII - 5.4

So my base score is 3.7

Singh400

Distinguished Member
My overall Windows Experience Index is 4.2. I'm currently at college, so I can't give the individual scores, but I do remember my graphics scored 5.9.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (530)
RAM: 1024 MB (2x512)
GFX: nVidia 6800 256MB
SFX: Soundblaster Creative Live! 24-bit
HDD: 30gb (partitioned - I'm dual-booting with XP Pro)

Quick way to get to the score/sysprops is to press Winkey + Pause/Break ;)

Singh400

Distinguished Member
My overall Windows Experience Index is 4.2. I'm currently at college, so I can't give the individual scores, but I do remember my graphics scored 5.9.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (530)
RAM: 1024 MB (2x512)
GFX: nVidia 6800 256MB
SFX: Soundblaster Creative Live! 24-bit
HDD: 30gb (partitioned - I'm dual-booting with XP Pro)

Quick way to get to the score/sysprops is to press Winkey + Pause/Break ;)
Here are the individual scores:

hot-fuzz

Oh crap, i really need a better graphics card.

And whats up with my RAM, i thought i had a set of decent stuff. 2 x 1GB sticks, obviously not as good as i thought.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Oh crap, i really need a better graphics card.

And whats up with my RAM, i thought i had a set of decent stuff. 2 x 1GB sticks, obviously not as good as i thought.
Anything above 1536 (1.5 GB) qualifies for high-end vista usage.

Atleast thats what it said in the help file.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member

If you look at the few examples above already, the score must be based in the speed of memory access as well as the amount, or something weird like available virtual memory!

Singh400

Distinguished Member

Ok I know where I got this from, I found it again in 5728. Just remembered it different...

<LimitApplied Friendly="Physical memory available to the OS is less than or equal to 1.5GB - limit mem score to 4.5" Relation="LE">1610612736</LimitApplied>

That figures as I've got a 1GB of RAM and much score is 4.5 for RAM (on 5600 & 5728)

eternaldark

My overall score for build 5472 was 3.2

Now for build 5728 its 4.0

:confused:

not changed anything so quite happy so far

Singh400

Distinguished Member
My overall score for build 5472 was 3.2

Now for build 5728 its 4.0

:confused:

not changed anything so quite happy so far
They might have tweaked the equation that calculates the WIE base score. That would explain it.

My overall score remains the same as 5600 - 4.2.

StephenR

Standard Member
Are these scores out of ten? If so, my 2.9 is not too good despite the fact it seems to running like a dream so far on my 4 year old PC - complete with Aero glass. What kind of monster PC do you need to get a top score? :confused:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Are these scores out of ten? If so, my 2.9 is not too good despite the fact it seems to running like a dream so far on my 4 year old PC - complete with Aero glass. What kind of monster PC do you need to get a top score? :confused:
No one really knows, everyone thought it was out of 5 to begin with, but then sub scores sometimes went up to 5.9 so that went out the window. Expect more information on the Windows Experience Index as Vista goes RTM.

Generally feeling is that it will be used along side system requirements as a more help guideline.

So for example, say your on Vista and your overall score is 3.5. Then you go to the shops and see a nice piece of software, along side the system requirements it would have something like:

Your system needs a Windows Experience Index rating of 4 or more to run this software correctly.

Pbryanw

Is anybody having a problem with the WinSat test whereby it freezes when it gets to testing your HD's? The only information I've heard about this is that it might be related to me having installed Vista on a secondary HD but, the strange thing is, the test worked on the Beta 2 version of Vista :confused:

Pbryanw

Where can I get this testing thing? I downloaded Vista Advisor and got no score just advice.
It's built into Vista. If you download and install the Vista RC1 preview that's floating around the 'net, the first thing it does after you've installed it is run the test (Winsat) and gives your PC a score based on various categories. But, again, only if you install Vista.

Pbryanw

Singh400 said:
You can run WinSAT on XP too.
You're absolutely right :smashin: I assumed it was Vista only but it comes included with the new Vista Upgrade Advisor. That's what I get for not reading up on the subject :)

Anyway to use it in XP, first install the newest version of Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, (if you haven't already) then you need to open a command prompt. To do this go to start menu, go to run, type in CMD and press enter. Then using the cd command go to the folder Vista Upgrade Adviser is in (it should be "C:\Program files\Microsoft Windows Vista Advisor\"). Then enter this command for a fancy graphics backdrop - similar to what you see when you first install Vista: "Winsat aurora" (without the quotes).

You can then use this command to run tests on various parts of your OS and Hardware. For a full list of commands, and subcommands, for the Winsat command try this website. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to produce a lovely graphical presentation - with marks for each sub-section - like you can in Vista.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
You're absolutely right :smashin: I assumed it was Vista only but it comes included with the new Vista Upgrade Advisor. That's what I get for not reading up on the subject :)

Anyway to use it in XP, first install the newest version of Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, (if you haven't already) then you need to open a command prompt. To do this go to start menu, go to run, type in CMD and press enter. Then using the cd command go to the folder Vista Upgrade Adviser is in (it should be "C:\Program files\Microsoft Windows Vista Advisor\"). Then enter this command for a fancy graphics backdrop - similar to what you see when you first install Vista: "Winsat aurora" (without the quotes).

You can then use this command to run tests on various parts of your OS and Hardware. For a full list of commands, and subcommands, for the Winsat command try this website. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to produce a lovely graphical presentation - with marks for each sub-section - like you can in Vista.
You can take any build of WinSAT from any build of longhron/vista and it will work on XP. You have the luxury of the winsat help file now, before I had to manually find the commands (before beta 1) using hexworkshop.

You don't need to install Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to get WinSAT.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2005/04/26/412402.aspx said:
Microsoft also presented a new tool called WinSAT. A generic benchmark utility that will analyze a given Longhorn PC to determine what features of Longhorn can be enabled. The tools can analyze parts of the OS such as Direct3D performance, the compositing engine, Memory performance and Hard drive speeds. The results are stored in XML files an since the tool is maintaining a history of these files, other applications can parse these logs and make decisions for themselves what features to enable. The WinHEC version of Longhorn already includes the first alpha version of WinSAT and everyone is encouraged to try out this new tool. (just type &#8220;WinSAT.exe&#8221; from the command line in Longhorn). For this release you still have to be logged in as an administrator to run the tool. In later versions this will be allowed for limited users &#8211; if the general Enterprise Policy has not blocked the tool. One other very interesting thing is that this tool currently runs on Windows XP as well. Just copy the WinSAT.EXE to your XP machine and run it. I will give this a try right after WinHEC

Barbarosa

Standard Member
CPC - Athlon 4200x2 - 5.1
RAM - 2Gb - 4.8
HDD - 250Gb / 140 Free - 4.0
Graphics - 6600GT - 5.9

Overall Rating 4

J

jljeeper

CPU - P4D-2.8GHz - 4.8
RAM - 1GB - 4.5
HDD - 150GB RaptorX - 5.9
Graphics - ATI AIW X600 - 4.3
Gaming Graphics - 3.7

Overall Rating 3.7

Need a better video card? Looks great to me

Runnig tripple boot with XP and Vista2

Stanley_Cooper

Standard Member
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ 4.2
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.9
Graphics RADEON X800 GTO 5.9
Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory 4.9
Primary hard disk 400GB 4.9

Overal rating 4.2.

I'm thinking I could do with a faster processor. Ah well.

Strange it comes up with this amount of ram for the gfx card especially when it's only got 256!.

Stan..

anobium

I cant get your way to work, do you have to run dos outside of windows it says this program is not recognised as an internal or external program?? my comand prompt always syays at c:\ documents and settings\my name

M

MattyMustng

Core 2 Duo e6400 (Overclocked to 2.66 ghz - plan to do more later), Asus P5b Deluxe, 2 gigs PC5300 RAM, 7600 GT Factory overclocked video card, 320 GB SATA II hard drive, X Fi Fatal1ty.

my.php

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition