• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

whats wrong ?

R

red cruiser

hi, yesterday i purchased a old pioneer plasme screen model number PDP-V402EA from ebay , my dvd player works perfect through the screen but i can't get a picture through the sky decoder ,i have tried connecting it up many different ways but still no pic, does anybody have any advice or tips why it doesn't work ? do i need a tv tuner ?

ijd

is the sky box and the tv both set to rgb, and are you sure you are not using a one way scart, try tuning the sky box using an rf lead

R

red cruiser

hi, im not quite sure what you just said ! lol
for my model of tv do i not need anything like an external tv tuner or anything like that ? its a very old tv in 4.3 format only.
if you could elaborate on what you just said for a thicko that would be great also.

R

red cruiser

the sky box was/is working perfectly with my existing tv so that is set up correctly, the tv has no option to swap it to rgb.
it is an industrial tv so im noe thinking that tv won't work on it ?

Gerard Fernand

How are you connecting the DVD?

a) Direct cable from its composite video out
or
b) From its Scart socket.

If you are connected direct, as per option (a), connect the DVD as per the Sky box, i.e. from scart, option (b), to see if you still get a picture from the DVD player.

R

red cruiser

it works when i connect a phono lead to the video in cable to the tv and to a port on the back of my dvd player marked with a V , i will try to connect it up to the dvd player using the scart lead and let you know, thanks

R

red cruiser

the problem being my tv has no scart socket only has video in and video out sockets ! should i still be able to watch tv on these old pioneer plasma screens ??

dingwall

Banned
The Sky box can work fine with your plasma.

How are you connecting it up? If its via a scart to video phono lead then try plugging it into the VCR rather than the TV output of the box. If this works, then you just need to switch the settings on the digibox from RGB to composite and then replug into the TV output.

R

red cruiser

the only way i can get the tv to work is to use the lead i got with it, it is a single phone lead just 1 lead not the usual 2 stuck together, if i plug 1 end of the lead into the 'video in' socket on the television and the other end of the lead into a single yellow phono socket marked with a 'v' on the back of the dvd player the screen works.
i have a scart lead that is a scart socket 1 end and the other end has 3 sockets white red and yellow, if i plug the yellow lead into the video in socket at the back of the tv and the scart socket into the back of the sky decoder there is no picture, my decoder also has 2 phono sockets so ive tried to connect them upto the video in and out on the tv but still no picture !
how can it be done without the scart socket on the tv ????

Gerard Fernand

Is your Scart to 3 Phono cable a scart 'out' or scart 'in' or can it be switched to be either, the composite video signal is connected to a different pin within the scart head depending on whether it is in or out.

If it is a scart out, have you tried it with you DVD's scart socket.

It has been about 4 years since I used one of these displays, I can remember there being an issue with the display when connecting to a scart signal as the scart voltage was lower than required by the display. I can't remember if this was only an issue when trying to connect an RGB scart signal which would connect to 4 or the BNC connectors of RGB1 input, or if a problem also existed if trying to connect a scart composite video signal to the single BNC video input. I am assuming you have a BNC to phono adaptor connected to the video in on the display.

R

red cruiser

i beleive the scart lead i have is scart out as the 3 phono connections on the other end say in.
the only connection to get the tv working is a single phono lead.

R

red cruiser

forgot to mention that i have tried to get the screen working using the scart socket on the dvd player but it won't work :thumbsdow
only works with the single yellow port on the dvd player :confused:

Gerard Fernand

If your Scart to 3 Phone is definitely a Scart out (could be confirmed by using with a different TV), then I think the problem is to do with the scart voltage. It may be worth sending an email to Pioneer technical to ask if the video input is fully compatible with a scart composite video signal.

[email protected]

red cruiser said:
forgot to mention that i have tried to get the screen working using the scart socket on the dvd player but it won't work :thumbsdow
only works with the single yellow port on the dvd player :confused:

These panels only accept a composite video signal via the socket you mention. Most DVD players have a dedicated composite (yellow) socket on the rear, as do V1 Pace Sky+ / digiboxes.

However, if you are plugging in your scart to phono cable to the SKy box, and have not changed the scart settings on the box, this is probably whats causing your problem.

If your sky box is set to RGB out via scart, then this disables the composite video output on the sky box TV scart, which means the scart lead you are using is not being fed the correct signal. Scart sockets xcan be programmed to output different video signals - composite, S-Video, and RGB - if the correct setting is not used with the correct cable, then no pitcure results.

Or use the VCR scart output on the box, this only supplys a composite video out signal and cannot be affected by the scart settings in the setup menu.

R

red cruiser

thanks for that that is very helpful, how do i change the sky box signal to rgb ? is it a button on the unit or is it a function within the menu ?

R

red cruiser

i have just tried to connect the sky box to my tv using the video out scart socket and had no luck so does that mean that the rgb setting isn't the case ?

[email protected]

red cruiser said:
thanks for that that is very helpful, how do i change the sky box signal to rgb ? is it a button on the unit or is it a function within the menu ?

No, I meant check the sky box is NOT sending a RGB signal via scart - its in the services option (where you set up the box for the type of TV you have, audio out, etc).

[email protected]

red cruiser said:
i have just tried to connect the sky box to my tv using the video out scart socket and had no luck so does that mean that the rgb setting isn't the case ?

Just re-read your earlier posts, and the scart lead did not work on your DVD player only - you only got a signal when you used the composite out (yellow).

The scart lead you have, is it a scart to phono (3 plugs, 1 white, 1 red, 1 yellow), or is it phono to scart? This is VERY important, as the leads are designed (and wired) for different tasks.

It sounds to me like you are using a phono to scart lead, which is designed to connect the phono out (the yellow video output, audio, etc) to a scart input.
You need the opposite, you need a cable thats wired to take the scart output and convert it to the phono plugs!

You`ll need to either get a correctly wired phono to scart (not scart to phono!) OR just get a 6 way scart to phono, as these cables have both in and out wired on the end of a scart, so you`ll know that it`ll work that way once you connect the plugs the right way. Hope this makes sense!

stevelup

Distinguished Member
red cruiser said:
i beleive the scart lead i have is scart out as the 3 phono connections on the other end say in.
If the phono's say 'IN' then it's a SCART in cable, not a SCART out cable.

Regards,

Steve

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

Just to clarify something else here, the RGB setting on the Sky box will make absolutely no difference as the SCART socket always outputs composite/RGB - all the menu setting does is enable / disable the voltage on Pin 16.

Regards,

Steve

R

red cruiser

phono to scart i meant !! i didnt know there was that many different scart leads ! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom