What's wrong with the TU-PTA300B receiver / tuner for Panasonic plasma ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by nickt, Jul 25, 2002.

1. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this forum and it seems that a lot of people have a lot good things to say about the Panasonic TH-42PW4B plasma panel.
    However, there is rarely (if ever!) a good word about the Panasonic receiver. I've seen information which says that it degrades RGB (but in what way I don't know) and I think it also affects the progressive scan of a DVD which is passed through it.

So, I'm trying to find out 2 things :-

1. Exactly what does it do well and what does it do badly so I can decide if that will bother me at all? Why do so many people say to stay clear of it?

2. Is there an alternative? I want to replace my TV with a plasma screen but still want to watch TV broadcasts along with DVD and video. I want to retain the ability to view teletext too if possible.

Many thanks!

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Most people seem to favour direct connections to the Panasonic plasma's rather than going through the tuner box and the preferred setup appears to be as follows...

1) Sky digibox to VGA input (output as RGB from digibox and passed through RGB to VGA convertor) - you could use a Sky free to air card if you didn't want to go for a subscription - this would give you access to all the regular BBC channels/teletext etc and would also be a lot better than an analogue signal as far as picture quality is concerned... (why spend £3k+ on a panel and put up with a grotty analogue picture???!!! ;))

2) DVD into component or S-VHS inputs.

Presumably if you wanted to add a video to the equation too you could use the composite connection, but bear in mind that this could not be done if you were using the S-VHS connection for DVD as the 2 cannot be used in conjunction. Not a problem if component inputs are being used for DVD though.

All audio to seperate amp...

Not particularly sure on the merits/de-merits of the tuner box itself but hopefully somebody else could help you out on that one...

Hope this helps.

Kelvin :D

3. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I am not really sure what is wrong with the tuner box, but I think someone once said that it only connected to the screen via composite- not very clever! Have also heard rumours of a new tuner box on the way. Not sure either if a tuner box is good value for money:

RGB->VGA convertor £125ish
    Ixos Scart £30ish
    Decent VGA lead £25ish
    Quattro+ scart switcher £75ish

Thats around £300 if you've got a couple of RGB sources and will probably give you a miles better picture. Obviously, you can omit the scart switcher if you only want to route Sky through for "ordinary" TV and if you want you can have a flash £100 per metre VGA cable like me (bloody show off!).

Interestingly, setting aside all the idiots at On/ITV Digital, I understand that now the BBC have the licences, they are changing the transmission method to make it more robust. Also, they are not squeezing as many channels in so there will be less pressure on the Mpeg encoding. This makes Digital Terrestrial my favourite source for "ordinary" TV at the moment, rather than Sky Plus, if you go to your local Dixons/ Currys/ Comet, they might just have an old On/ITV Digital box going for about £60... Obviously, if you want a decent selection of channels, then Sky is your only option.

Hope this helps
    Andrew

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both these answers. I'm not sure whether the tuner box uses RGB or composite either but perhaps someone else will be able to answer that one. I don't have satellite but I had considered the free-to-air digital option using an old On Digital box (or similar), or changing my NTL cable to digital. This does not give me teletext but it is not a show stopper. Whatever solution I come up with has to understandable by my family so that was one of the attractions of the tuner box...

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

300B tuner is analogue

every other tunerbox for plasmas (comps that make em) are digital.