1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with Plasma anyway?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wiseman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. wiseman

wiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started off looking for a LCD screen, mostly because of the size, 30 or 32 inches. Looking at screens the plasmas are much brighter and more attractive, and only a fraction more expensive. I'm thinking of buying one of them instead. What's wrong with plasma anyway?

Screen burn isn't a big deal and HD is a long long way off.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Whats wrong with plasma, not a lot in my opinion. Screen burn really isnot an issue these days and a well set up and calibrated display can give images that are as good as CRT TVs. You also dont get the dirty screen effect or geometric problems with a plasma like you do with crt tube based TVs.

3. mofous

mofous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Long long way off? It's pretty much around the corner. At least for those of us who will be buying a HDTV for enjoying games/series/films. If SD is ok for you, then why even bother buying a plasma? Most SD material is not even in widescreen format.

4. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    So how did you conclude that screen burn is no longer an issue with Plasma?

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Because it really isnt. The panasonic pw 6 panels and above, the panansonic Viera range plasmas, the new pioneers are all pretty much Burn and image retention proof.
    Provieded you take the precation of running in the plasma in for the first 100 hours on lower settings and then get the thing calibrated with somthing like the Digital video esentials DVD, you really should not have any issues. Its when the Tv is abused and not set up right that these problems can occour. Rember though, a CRT monitor will have image burn in if displaying the same thing over and over again, especailly if the contrast is set way up.

Burn in tends to happen when the contrast and brightness levels are to high and the same static logo is displayed for hours and hours on end. The newer plasmas can handel this a lot better than the old ones, in fact I think panansonic them selves now say that there new range of plasmas are as image burn in resistant as CRT tvs :)

6. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yeah most Plasmas are fine now (altough for gaming use I might think twice if you're putting in serious hours)

more to the point whats wrong with getting an hd plasma?

there's a massive number of hd ready plasmas

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would tend to agree with most of what has been said, i.e. the Panasonic Plasma and I think the Pioneer would both claim to be virtually burn proof. As for power consumption, if you do a search the differences in Plasma v LCD power consumption is minimal over a year - something in the order of £13.40 based on 4 hours per day. Also as others have said there are plenty of HD Ready Plasmas. I think the only bum note is the extra weight.