What's wrong with my TDK -RW's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I have some Verbatim 1x DVD-RW's (the single ones which come in jewel cases, not the ones that come on a spindle)which are working fine in my tosh xs32. I can record straight onto them and dub to them from the hard disc no problem. Once finalized, they play perfectly on my X-Box and my Mac-based Pioneer 105.

As I only had a few Verbs I bought some TDK 1x / 2x DVD-RW's at the weekend. Now these are causing me some headaches. No matter how i record / dub onto them and finalize them, they will only play on my Tosh. But they fail to play on both my X-box and my Mac's 105.

Is it because the TDKs are 2x and the Verbs are only 1x? As far as I'm aware I'm doing nothing different when I use the two makes.

Does anyone have any advice or experience that they could share with me please?

Many thanks,

Matthew

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try some RITEK dye discs

3. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried some of the DataSafe DVD-R (Ritek G04 dye) and they work fine, but don't know which DVD-RW use a Ritek dye.

Could you point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks,

Matthew

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although others have used Ritek without problem, the different types of dyes used have caused me to stop using them as they only seem to work on some of my machines/DVD drives. I am mainly using Panasonic/Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim DVD-R and DVD-RW. I assume you have a modified XBox as most all the Xboxes I have seen will not load/play/run DVD-R or DVD-RW discs as the Xbox looks at the disc type.

5. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My x-box is bog standard, but I do keep thinking about getting it chipped. Maybe i'm just lucky that it plays yhe verbatim -RW's. It also plays loads of my -R's without a problem.

Have you tried using any other speed of Verbatim -RW, ie 2x or 4x in your XS32? I'm finding the 1x very hard to locate at the moment, but the 2x and 4x are everywhere, but really want to check to see if they work okay first.

Thanks,

Matthew

6. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Guys, I think you'll find that having the Xbox chipped has nowt to do with what DVD's it will play - this is down to the type of DVD drive you have in the Xbox. The early drives were very picky, with later ones being less so but as a rule, DVD-RW's are less compatible that -R's regardless of dye (I have some RITEK Datasafe -RW's and they don't work in my chipped Xbox for example, but are fine in DVD Players)

7. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I tried one of the TDKs on my parents Sony RX3 and it worked fine, but not on the dvd-rom drive in their mac.

So, I re-formatted the disc and recorded some stuff on their sony. The disk then worked in both the x-box and the mac dvd drives! In a state of confusion and frustration I set my old Sony NS900 back up an it also played on that.

I recorded some more stuff from the Tosh on the TDKs and it also played back on the Sony 900.

So I reckon it's just a plain old -RW compatability problem.

Thanks for all the pointers,

Matthew