Whats wrong with my SkyHD box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dUnKle, Jan 23, 2008.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    Been fine up til just after New Year

Now in the morning we very often get a "no satelite signal is being recived" message

Now pulling the power and then rebooting always fixes it but it is annoying

I have a fairly strong quality signal on both inputs
    I can record two channels at same time with no problems any other time
    I can record two channels and playback a recording with no problem

It would seem that when the box goes into standby overnight this problem seems to happen. Any ideas what could be cauing it ?

I have upgraded the drive to a 500GB model - however this was a month or so before problems began

2. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    So does it also happen when you manually set stand-by? And is it "cured" by switching auto-standby off for a few days?

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    Seems ok when I turn ot off

And just realised can turn auto standby of - so going to give that ago

Just wandered if maybe some wter has got in the LNB

4. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Can't offer any help other than my box does exactly the same thing. Its not every morning either, at the moment its happening about once a week.

Again like you pulling the power cord out and putting it back in fixes the issue. My pronto on its 'all off' setting puts the box into standby.

5. Toshman

Toshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have been experiencing a similar thing this week!

Auto standby is turned off but for the past two mornings when I turn the box on I get a blank blue screen and the HD box does not respond to any input, no on screen banner, just nothing.

A reboot solves the problem!

6. acf

acf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Has the same bluescreen and had to pull plug, leave and reboot. Doesn't usually do this but got the engineer coming Friday anyway for my blocky channels problem.

Ad

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Keep us posted as to what the engineer suggests, I've had the same problem on a couple of mornings in the past week

8. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    MMMmmm

Strange - mine probably started just after new year (but only once) but the last week it seems more regular

Wander if the extreme weather and the LNB could be a problem ?

9. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Yes it could be this, or a slight movement of the dish out of alignment. You might try just disconnecting and reconnecting the leads at both ends.

10. breadmaker6

breadmaker6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +732
    Me too....Seems like it maybe a Sky issue. :(

11. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    Well turned off anytime - turned off auto shutdown and will try new LNB

12. ixtlan

ixtlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There might be 2 issues here.

I also have several times switched the box on in the morning (to check for anytime downloads) and found no response... blank screen, requiring a reboot.

This is like acf, toshman, comer and maybe cybrey.

If you actually see "no satellite signal being received" it's different perhaps.

I'm hoping the blank screen/crash is a Sky bug.

Ix.

13. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Blue screen reset twice this week here too :mad:
    Has anyone else found the box goes to some channel pluging the auto power off thing instead of the customer service channel ?

14. Pinko

Pinko
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yeah blue screen of death every morning this week here also, Sky's got more bugs than starship troopers :eek:

15. satmanbasil

satmanbasil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys

I experienced these problems within a week of installation.. No satellite signal on random channels and failed recording so i contacted sky customer services , they have a little procedure they will walk u throu which uses the installers menu to turn off and on the 22k lnb power after which they resend a hit to your stb that should solve the problem .. must say have not experienced problem since the call. The most useful thing is however once they have done this procedure if the fault repeats again they have note on your file the test has been done and will send out an engineer to exchange your box.

regards
    satmanbasil

16. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,880
    Similar things happened to my first two HD boxes - crashes needing power off reset and often accompanied with loss of input 2 - recording failures reported as 'power cut'.

In both cases the box was replaced and the problem went away.

So in my case nothing to do with dish, lnb or wiring - faulty boxes.

Cheers,

Nigel

17. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    Well having turned off auto power off (which also coincides with a stop in the heavy rain) I have gone 3 days with no problems

18. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    The Thomson boxes are getting quite a reputation for failing power supplies. This could be a symptom. Replacement PSUs are available.

19. surfprof

surfprof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Some wierd stuff going off with mine. I thought initially it was just a problem with BBC HD. Wouldn't kick in with a planned recording saying there was no signal, and then when I tried a manual recording, I would get " no signal received" for every other channeland could only watch the recording one. Signals came back when the recording stopped.

Now, even when I try to manually record the signal dissapears. This evening I haven't been able to record a single thing. watching a programme fine...press record - signal dissapears......stop recording - signal comes back. Huh!! :mad:

20. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Leeds/Bradford (depends which side of the road I'm
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've been having a few problems with my box too - losing signal altogether for no reason.

Although not necessarily after an auto switch off or manual switch off / next morning. Mine just randomly says NO SIGNAL. We were watching Jonathon Ross last night on a time slip of about ten mins. When the program finished we reverted back to real time and got no signal on either feed.

Had to do a forced Software update to get it working again.

It did it again this morning, it was working fine watching BBC1, then changed something in the menu, went back to normal tv and it had lost the signals again.

I went in to installers menu powered off the LNB then powerd it on again and its all sorted. This fix is much easier than ferretting around the back for the power lead, and much quicker too.

Try this if yours does it again :

Services, 4, 0, 1, Select, 1, Down, Down, Right (off), Down, Down, Save, 1, Down, Down, Right (on), Down, Down, Save, Backup, Backup, Backup.

Doesn't explain WHY this is happening though - is my dish slightly off line (feeds are showing about 3/4 quality) or maybe water in the LNB or is my box about to die a death?

David

21. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Tipical PSU failure symptoms. Exactly what mine was doing unill I opened up the box and found 4 bulging capacitors on the PSU board, made a trip to maplins with a list of capacitors brought a bunch of = or above spec caps and replaced the lot bar the 400v cap on the AC side of the PSU. The Result, the box is now working as good as new, and the hardest part was actualy refitting the fan next to the PSU.

22. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Why would PSU failure cause me to lose the signal? It doesn't shut itself off? Is it worth me having a look inside?

How easy are the capacitors to replace? I am not that brill with a soldering iron but irk at spending £65 with Sky to do the same job!

David

23. Ultra2man

Ultra2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    My assumption here would be that a voltage is dropping out side of its operating tolerance so not causing a complete failure but some loss of functionality.
    For instance say the power supply should provide 5V and the minimum tolerance on some components is 4.7V If the power supply fluctuates down to 4.1V some components to go into a fault condition. If the voltage returns to the correct level the component may only reset itself with a complete power off and on

24. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I rang Sky about this today and they said to ring back while the fault was occuring. Five mins later i did it again, so I called them, they asked what the number was next to the fault (28) and asked me what I'd done to fix it, I said, forced software upgrade, turned LNB 22hz on and off and LNB power on and off etc. Once she'd established I'd done this they said I needed an engineer @ £65 as I was two months outside my warranty.

I complained and said I knew of the PSU issue, they said they weren't aware of any common faults (my foot!), she didn't budge on the £65 even when I started on the sales of goods act / fit for purpose gubbins. Suggested if I didn't want to pay it I get someone local to fix it... blah blah blah. I ended conversation there as I clearly wasn't getting anywhere.

Called back 10 mins later and asked for cancellation dept. After explaing problem all over again to another woman she puts me on hold for 10 mins before I get a nice bloke in cancellations (Vincent). I have to explain to him again what's going on and that I am not happy being charged £65 for something only 2 months out of warranty.

He insists the issue I have is more likely to be dish out of line, fault with LNB or wiring. I tell him about everyone else with the same issue, and he insists it will be dish etc related.

Anyway, he says I've looked at your account and you have been with us for x years so I will ask my manager if we can do a visit for free. RESULT!

They're coming Thursday PM..

My question is what rights do I have as an out of warranty customer? IE if they replace the box for example does that come with a new warranty (3months say?) what if I end up with a noisy one (current one is lovely and quiet)... Where do I stand if it does this again in a few months?

Cheers

David
    ps dead annoying this as I've only Just this weekend got HD piped into the bedroom for our new 32" tv in there (via component over shielded network cable).

25. Philius

Philius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This is exactly the same that happened to me although i've had HD slightly longer, when I called to cancel they instantly gave me the free engineer visit and told me they would replace my box FoC if it was that that was faulty. I think that it could be some bug in the OS on the boxes as it seemed to happen at exactly the same time as most of my friends and a lot of you guys on here.

They told me that no one had reported any similar issues and I stated that the R Murdoch empire was not known for its honesty and integrity and that the people online here can't all have imaginery problems and that although we as computer literate people would check stuff like this online how many non computer literate people wouldn't do this and just stump up the £65 believing that it could be their problem and not sky's. When I refused to back down and wanted to cancel they readily agreed. I did push my luck and got a free month's viewing too as it has been unwatchable since the new year.

26. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well the Sky engineer came today. Sadly I wasn't in but my partner was. Not sure what was said, but engineer has replaced both LNB and HD box for Free replacements.

Serial no is 0147927829 - not sure if this is old or new or refurb or what, can anyone tell from that?
    It's version 4E3004 whatever that means?
    Seems quiet enough and very swift to respond to menu commands.

Aparently he did say that I should move my cordless phone away from the Sky box, said other side of the room would be cool but close to it (on speaker 3 ft away) they cause image problems....

Anyone heard of this?

Ta

David

27. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This was all going far too well wasn't it.. Previous dealings with Sky and their usual utter incompetence should have forewarned me that this excecise would go pearshaped.

After posting on here last night that I was pleased with the new box, I tested it with something a little more challenging. Recording two HD programmes and watching another recording.

Sky Arts HD goes blocky and the sound screetches and then it loses it alltogether. Although Sky Arts HD could just be watched on its own, with nothing else happening, as soon as another channel is recording it loses it and breaks up.

Also the hard drive TICKs like hell when its recording, and when recording two HD channels its like I've got mice on the drums!

Called SKY on my way to work this morning only to be told I have to be at home with the box for them to do some test on it before anything else can happen. What a ruddy ball ache. Going to have to take ANOTHER day off for them to come back again.

I've since learned that the 43004E box revision is an old one.... I'm now in a worse position than I was before...

At least the engineer said this box had a 3 month warranty.

David

28. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any chance of any pics or info regarding the specs of the capacitors ? Easy to replace them with a soldering iron & little common sense ? Any help much appreciated....

29. pumpman

pumpman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im getting this problem too since the 15th of Dec, two eng visits later still no joy , first guy said it was LNB second guy short on the cable , neither has checked the box and won't go on roof of normal two storey house as they need special heights team , which I was assured would come when speaking to Sky.

My box is about 6 months old now, spoke to them today, they are telling me to sort dish out myself as they have no special heights teams in my area, I told them they can expect my cancellation, spoke to trading standards and they have given me the blurb to send to them giving them 14 days to sort out as they are in breach of contract, sky say they will phone me back on Saturday once chap I was speaking to has spoken to his boss.

Mine usually shows no signal then goes to full signal on input 1, 2 is more often not locked than locked,box had started to shut it self of during day for no reason and getting freezes of box too.failed recordings etc, for the first 4 months it was fine apart from bad weather.

30. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    just pull the power supply board out and replace eveything except the big 400v cap. I used the 105° caps from maplins, I replaced the 1200uf's with 2200uf's, and the others with the same or higher voltage caps. if you are not famillier with de-soldering get a real of the solder mop stuff that they have. the braid literaly sucks the solder up.

basicly it's just common sence and line the negative side(short leg of the cap) up with the checded patch on the board. or justr make a mental note which way round the old one was. and i had to put the 2200uf cap's on cables because they simply would not fit.