What's wrong with my P35?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Timmy C, Jul 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I just took delivery of a pair of MA GR20's and have been playing around with them a bit but I've run into a problem. I hooked them up using my P25 for low frequency and the P35 for high frequency. I then decided to swap things round so I switched everything off and swopped the cables over at the speaker end. Turned it all back on, the lights did the usual amber then green thing and I pressed play.No sound from the P35 at all!!

Now you may be thinking I've done something stupid like switch the speaker buttons off by accident but this isn't the first time it's happened. It happened the day I got it when I did the same thing with my old speakers. Last time I called Crustyloafer at Sevenoaks (where I bought it) who wasn't sure what could be at fault so I went away and re connected everything and all of a sudden it worked fine. Now I know the P35 has worked connected to both the LF and HF speaker connections since I've had it but I can't understand why it seems to go pair shaped when I try a quick swap from one to the other.

Have I got a dud power amp or has this happened to anyone else?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Update: I had the speakers connected to the speaker B terminal and noticed a buzzing noise coming from the amp when I switched the speaker A button on as well. The noise was from the amp itself, not through the speakers. I switched off at the mains and tried plugging the speakers into the speaker A terminals instead. Switched on and it's now working again!

Anyone got any idea what caused the problem and why the red warning light never came on if there was some kind of fault? Do you think I should get Arcam to have a look at it?

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I had intermittent loud buzzing problems when I tried to bi-amp (and daisy chain the trigger leads) with a P35 and a P25. The grounding of the two pieces of kit are significantly different - the P35 input phonos are grounded, the P25 ones aren't. I basically came to the conclusion (after a few days of intermittent, seemingly random loud buzzing), that the P25 was just not compatible with the P35.

Regards,
    Ian

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Thing is I had the problem with the P35 before I got a P25 although you may have solved a different problem for me. There's some kind of noise that starts coming from the P25 when it's been in use for a while. It sounds almost like a fan and it continues even after switching the power button off. The only way to stop it is to turn it off and on again at the mains.

I think I'll try connecting both amps to the pre amp rather than daisy chaining to see if it solves anything.

5. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sadly, I couldn't get to the bottom of the problem. It seemed to work ok if the trigger sockets weren't daisy chained. I fear there was a nasty ground loop being created by the trigger lead. If your setup is problematic even without the trigger cable, then I doubt if it is the same problem I had.
    In the end, the only way I could get my two P35's to behave when used with the AV8 and trigger cables, was to omit the P25!

Sorry I can't be of more help,
    Ian

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I think conecting each power amp directly to the preamp is the best option as connecting two bits of kit that use different grounding methods can cause problems. Can I ask which interconnects are you using? They are not Van Den Hul are they? If you feel you need to get the unit back to Arcma to have a look a I'd be happy to liase with your closest Sevenoaks store and ask them to assist you.

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why chris? any known issue's with VDH interconnects?

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I am using Van Den Hul (First) from cd player to the C30 but Audioquest (Quartz) to connect each amp directly to the pre amp. Also using Van Den Hul cs122 cable. Why do you ask?

If the problem occurs again then I think maybe Arcam should take a look. If so I'll give you a call and if you could arrange for the Kingston branch to deal with it that would be great.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Sometimes the fact that some of the VDH cables are grounded only at one end has caused earth problems with other equipment before, particularly subwoofer. It was just a theory anyway.

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I switched my kit on when I got in this afternoon. Poped in the first Mudhoney album, pressed play only to find the P35 didn't feel like working again! Slight buzzing noise coming from it again too. Switched it off and on again at the mains, buzzing noise gone and it's working again!

Crusty, I think it should go back to Arcam after all. Do you think you could arrange it so I can take it into my Kingston branch of Sevenoaks for them to deal with it? Cheers