What's wrong with my network?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

Ethernet network through a Linksys modem/router, file transfers from one PC to another are intermittently ludicrously slow (1 - 10% of network utilisation). If I reboot one or both machines it works ok again (80% ish network utilisation) but that is very inconvenient.

Checked google / microsoft knowledge base, nothing obvious - any ideas?

EDIT: can ping both machines from each other fine, and both access the internet fine, it is just file transfer speeds that seem broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try setting the network cards to half-duplex and see if that does anything.

OK, never heard of half-duplex but will look into it.

Just done some more testing and I think I have isolated the problem. It seesm to be after my HTPC has been in S3 standby mode, network transfers to and from it are slow until I reboot....?

Will do some research, but if anyone can help out that would be good.

If you go to the "Local Area Connection Properties" under your network settings, click the Configure button.

Now click the Advanced tab and there should be something like "Speed & Duplex", click this. If it is set to Auto-Sense set it to 10MB half-duplex. If that works then try 100MB half-duplex. Finally, try 100MB full-duplex.

There is a bug with some network cards where the Auto-Sense feature doesn't work properly.

Basically, half-duplex is akin to walkie-talkies. When only one person can talk at any one time. Whereas full-duplex is like the telephone network where two people can talk simultaneously. If your network can only support half-duplex and it is set at full-duplex then you're getting collisions on your network.

Hopefully, not bored you too much! :)

Moosh

Ooh, this sounds promising, which PC should I do this on? Or all of them?

Hi Lisa,

sounds like you're on the right track with the S3 resume thing.. try this:

go to the properties of your LAN connection on the HTPC, hit the configure button next to the LAN adapter near the top of the screen, then go to the power management tab, and untick the 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option..

that should do it. :)

on duplexing, I'd just set all your PCs to 100mb full duplex, your router will certainly do that on the wired connections.

Thankyou, both very much - I did all of the above and it seems to be fixed, you are very, very clever :smashin:
l

You need to set it on all computers.

Edit: Didn't see the above message! :thumbsup:

I have this problem if i use the onboard NIC on my Asus nForce2 board, but if i use a PCI Realtek instead all fine.

I had all sorts of weird network slowdowns (including crashing my router repeatably) using nVidia onboard NIC's (nForce2 & 3), seemed to be some problem with the acceleration features, disabling them helped. The problems stopped when I switched to the other onboard NIC (Realtek) on both boards.

Interesting, it did go flaky again briefly, but seems ok now - also had problems with the onboard sound and changed to a usb soundcard - it's a shuttle so no free pci slots... nforce2 not as good as the hype make out...

'onboard' is just a nicer way of saying 'thrown in'

:devil:

The Dude said:
'onboard' is just a nicer way of saying 'thrown in'

:devil:

Too true!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom