• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What's wrong with my HDMI cable?

Lee James

Standard Member
I just bought a new HDMI cable (because my old one was too short), but this new cable seems to be doing weird things.

I'm wondering if I've been sold a dodgy cable, and if anyone can advise me. Are there different "types" of HDMI cable?

Strange things with my new cable:

• When I boot my PC, the motherboard screen and Windows loading screens don't appear. I just get a black screen until Windows appears.

• Even when Windows loads, I sometimes get no picture and to get it to work I have to unplug the cable then plug it back in.

• After I've done that, my Windows screen resolution sometimes mysteriously changes to something weird like 1024x768!

• Sometimes when Windows appears, my TV flashes up “changing resolution” messages, and I can see it finding the correct resolution of Windows.

• Another thing is that the plugs on the cable are quite large — so they don’t push all the way fully into the sockets.

None of this happened before with my old HDMI cable — it just showed everything perfectly and my TV never had to automatically adjust anything.

Is there something wrong with my cable? Or is there some other explanation here?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom