1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gordon, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Has anyone got any ideas on the following:
    My Toshiba 2109b is just over a year old and I have recently noticed that there is a whistling noise coming from the player when the disk is spinning, every time I use it it seems to be getting louder and louder.
    I have also been having problems with the picture as well recently. I bought Saving Private Ryan and about an hour into it, the screen all broke up, the only way I can describe it is that the film paused and then little squares starting moving on the screen. I took it back and got a replacement, which I have still to watch. I also bought The Haunting at the weekend and the same thing happened. About an hour into the film, the exact same thing happend.

If I get someone to look at it, it'll probably cost me a fortune, if all it needs is a clean, I'd buy one of those laser cleaning disks, but I don't want to waste money on that if it may be more serious.

Any Suggestions?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Jul 28, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Maybe, guessing here, you have a problem with one of the servos that rotate/align/stabilize the disc.
    If, the speed is not constant/linear etc, it will affect the playback of a film.
    Without really seeing or hearing it, it's difficult to form an opinion.
    You may have to bite the bullet and get it looked at.
    It's not so drastic as you may think.
    £30 or so will tell you what's wrong at a workshop. Then you can decide what to do. It's up to you if it's worth it.
    Good luck.

Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk