what's wrong, Mini System Sounds Better than Paradigm???

C

ciber

tested a few, but the new Denon D-F100mC is amazing. I set it next to my Harman Kardon (105 watts/channel) and Paradigm Mk 9 series II . At anything less than wall shaking volume, the Denon and Mission speakers blow the much larger and more $$ paradigm system away. Sterio imaging is incredible. Off axis response seems to be >90 % on axis response. The speakers almost seem to be 360 degree sources.
These small Mission speakers produce more clean, tight bass than I thought possible. When placed not too near a wall, they do not pump or boom. The instruments sounds like instruments. Violin sounds like violin, piano sounds like piano, trumpet sounds like trumpet.

What's wrong here, mini hifi beats real hifi??
Is it like a HD-600 Headphone beats many real Hi fi big speaker in sound quality?

Are you comparing a home theater setup to a dedicated stereo rig for music? If so, then its no wonder the stereo rig outperforms it. Even expensive home theater rigs can lose to budget stereo rigs for music.

"Is it like a HD-600 Headphone beats many real Hi fi big speaker in sound quality?"

Nothing like that at all. The headphone v speaker debate is a whole different ballpark.

Yes, I am comparing a high-end AV home theater vs a entry level stereo setup (Denon 25W amplifier + Mission 771) on music performance. The results, denon beats Paradigm!

"What's wrong here, mini hifi beats real hifi??"

horses for courses. many of us come to realise that AV is AV and HiFi is HiFi. If music matters, then upgrade on the HiFi stereo side, not on the AV multi-channel side. and I can promise you that it is possible to beat your mini for music reproduction!

I think it's true that even a budget stereo system can sound really good when kit is well matched. Mini systems often have an advantage in that all elements are designed to match well by the manufacturer. I have a midi Aiwa system, an AV system and a dedicated Stereo system.

It came about when I bought AV system (Kef eggs, Yam amp and DVD). I was intending for the AV kit to releive my Aiwa of stereo duties, but to my suprise, the Aiwa still sounded better in stereo. I then went on a mission to better the stereo. First I added dedicated CD player to AV system, but finally I ended up with a separate dedicated stereo system before the Aiwa was bettered: Kef Q35.2s bi amped, Arcam: Alpha 7 amp, Alpha 8p power amp, Alpha 7SE CD player, Denon TU260l tuner. Even now I'm still amazed by how good the Aiwa sounds in comparison given the difference in cost.

I think so many people believe their minds (and wallets) more than their ears.

Cheers

Croc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom