1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats up with my TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Astaroth, May 3, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    :rolleyes:

Ok, had my PD30 for almost 12 months and I think it may be developing a problem. :rolleyes:

I run the TV with the sound down to 0 at all times as all sound goes through my AVR. Since Saturday the TV has 3 times made what I can only describe as a popping (with a bit of hiss) sound and the screen has flickered at the same time. I have tried changing which socket on the 4 bar it goes into but this does not seemed to have helped. Unfortuantly the plug on the 4 bar itself is inaccessable to try a different 4 bar. All 3 times the popping has occured after a couple of hours of being on.

An hour or so after the 1st pop the screen when all screwy (though no sound) whilst being feed with a component signal from my DVD player (the sound continued fine through my AVR) but putting it to another source and back to component solved the problem - at the same time she who must be obeyed did sit on the remote but I do not know if this is another manifestation of a problem or she somehow managed to find the "mess up the picture" button with ther arse.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is? Whilst it is in warrenty I would rather wait till I have moved address to get it fixed if it isnt anything urgent - if it is going to burst into flames I may get it sorted out now

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I doubt it will burst into flames, but you're obviously getting some sort of flashover, probably from the EHT.

Best get it fixed ASAP, in case it causes damage to associated components.

(Is "She who must be obeyed" any relation to Mrs TG? :eek:

They both seem to have their own way with the remote! )

:rotfl:

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It depends.... is Mrs TG scared silly of using the AVR remote? And when she has pressed the button to change it to control the DVD rather than selecting DVD as a source she will put it exactly (mm perfect) to where it was and sit watching the screen without sound and then claim she didnt want sound? - If so I would say they must be related

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    TG - tv repair man came, took back off, looked arround, moved the what he called the high tension leads about, wiped the back of the tube and high tension leads with some tissue which he had sprayed something on and then said it should be ok.

does this sound right for the problem?

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, sounds like he's tried the obvious (ie, cheap solution) first. I would have done the same. He's moved the EHT/HT leads around in case the high voltage may have arced across to the earthy chassis from a lead passing too close to the chassis, he's wiped dust off the back of the crt since it can become carbonised and allow EHT to track across the EHT cap to the earthy aquadag on the back of the crt, he's squirted something like WD40 to 'improve' the insulation of the EHT/HT leads. All pretty standard 'stuff' to try in the first instance. If the fault returns then you (and he) will know that either the CRT is flashing over internally or the LOPT or tripler is flashing over - fingers crossed. Regards, yt.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    many thanks red16v