What's up with my Kef PSW200 Sub

Zebadee69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just turned on my psw2000 sub to checkout a new dvd I'd bought, my son had fiddled with the knobs on the back and turned the volume fully up. I quickley realised, as you would jumping out your seat, turned it down but all I get now is a buzzing as soon at the sub receives a signal and turns itself on.

Any ideas, has it blown something?

Another question is, is this covered under accidental damage on insurance? I have accidental cover but can you class this as an accident.

Regards

Pete

It wouldn't be covered under warranty.....but if you take it back to your dealer and tell them you turned it on and it was like that, you may get it replaced under warranty as they're not too reliable anyway :)

I would choose another manufacturer, the PSW range doesn't possess the most reliable amplification (unless they've sorted the problem in the past 6 months or so).

I had a blown Kef PSW2000 after a lightning strike last summer, also 3 years old & out of warranty.
Rang Kef, spoke directly to a guy in their service dept who advised me to dismantle the actual amp module (8 screws & 2 wires) and post it to them with a cheque for £50 to cover repair & return postage costs.

3 days later I had a new amp module with 1 year warranty as old one was beyond repair :thumbsup:
Total cost: £50 + about £15 Royal Mail special delivery postage.

Cheaper than your insurance excess I'm sure, and a LOT less hassle!

Give 'em a call on 01622 672261 & ask for service dept.

Hi Peter, I agree with Helicon, I own a PSW 2500 which I have stored in it's box in my back room, it looks really nice but produces a noticeably fuzzy sound when compared to the products from SVS, M&K, REL etc.

After auditioning products from M&K and REL as well as Velodyne, I went with the Velodyne SPL 800R and have absolutely no regrets as it's small, loud and accurate particularly when directly compared to the KEF, it also sets itself up and is the easyest piece of kit I have ever put into my system, it sounded right straight from the box and once I had run the auto setup routine it sounded amazingly right.

Post it to Kef and forget to put stamps on it!! The sub is a piece of rubbish. I have one, I know. Repaired three times, and has just bust again. I will never buy Kef again. Great tech, poor reliablility. Monolith here I come.

Oh, and send a mail to Kef telling them you hate them. The more that do it, the more likely they buck their ideas up. Not that they'll get my business again anyway.
Now for a smiley

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

joejoe1 said:
Post it to Kef and forget to put stamps on it!! The sub is a piece of rubbish. I have one, I know. Repaired three times, and has just bust again. I will never buy Kef again. Great tech, poor reliablility. Monolith here I come.

Oh, and send a mail to Kef telling them you hate them. The more that do it, the more likely they buck their ideas up. Not that they'll get my business again anyway.
Now for a smiley

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kef speakers were good at least before the "Made in China" but their subs are really sub (groan!) par quality with a very common PSU/sub amp blowing problem.

Like others my PSW2000 failed last night, its about 3 years old. I called the local dealer who said no problem bring it in.

To my delight they had a spare amplifier part in stock and changed it free of charge there and then adding a comment that KEF have a 5 year warranty.

I for one cannot thank them enough for turning a frustrated customer into a delighted one who can now get back to enjoying the pleasures of the sub sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom