1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats this lead for?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by The Sheriff, Feb 12, 2003.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    theres a lead at www.keene.co.uk that looks like it might give me what ive been looking for but im mot sure.

it is a SCART - 15 PIN HD MALE RGB. Could i use this to go from my monitor out on my PC to my TV, through RGB and would it be as good quality as the dvd picture i get on my monitor.

the product reference is [SBB94], its under RGB and component cables section

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you've got a regular PAL TV, with 99% certainty the answer is no. :(

The resolution and scan rates used by PC's are too high for regular TV's to handle. You would have to use a down converter or a video card with a dedicated TV output, to adapt the resolution for TV. TV's with progressive and HDTV sets can handle higher resolutions and be connected to PC's with the right cables, but in most cases you must reconfigure the video card to exactly match a supported format.

100Hz sets handle almost as high frequencies as HDTV sets, but generally they are not configured to accept input of higher resolution than that of regular interlaced TV. A few sets have VGA inputs and handle the lowest of common PC resolutions and scan rates (such as 640x480 at 60Hz). But then they will accept it through a dedicated HDDB15 connector and not SCART.

Another problem is synchronization. The cable you pointed to carries sync on green. Depending on how the cable is wired, it might require both the video card to output sync-on-green and the TV to accept it. Not all video cards can be easily configured to custom resolutions without hacking and may not support sync on green. The video levels output also may not match those desired by the display.

I'm not sure exactly what that cable was designed for, but I guess it is in preparation for progressive 50Hz sets and PC's configured to match that specific resolution and scan rate.

Anyway, decent computer monitors brutally outperform TV sets in picture quality. TV's have to be big and bright without being too expensive and that limits their performance. Some people may prefer the exaggerated look on TV's, but on a PC monitor you can achieve a truly film-like look from DVD.