1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats this childrens series ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by RobsterD, Mar 29, 2003.

1. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,
    This ones been annoying me for some time,childrens BBC series was around in the 70's,story as I can remember revolves around an old cottage with the inhabitants terrorised by big rocks that seem to move closer to the house,scared the hell out of me,there was something about when they dreamed the rocks moved
    A DVD 'Children of the Stones' has just been released on MovieMail but not sure wether this is the series or not,any ideas.
    Cheers
    Rob

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
  3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
  4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    I don’t think you are but do not get mixed up with either an episode of The Outer Limits called Corpus Earthling where some rocks came alive and took over human beings.
    Also there was a story in Dr Who were the villainess (I think she was called Le Fay) controlled some very tall stones that slowly chased Tom Baker and Romana.

5. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and a Star Trek episode where Spock performed a mind meld with a living rock

6. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Rob Dear,
    I think what you are talking about was done as a film called Paperhouse (1988). I seem to remember it being done as a series as well. Plot summary -
    The movie takes place during the illness of Anna (Charlotte Burke), a 13-year-old with a mysterious fever. One day in class, Anna draws a lonely house on a windswept cliff and puts a sad-faced little boy in the window. She is reprimanded by the teacher, runs away from the school, falls in a culvert and is knocked unconscious.

And then she dreams of a "real" landscape just like the one in her drawing, with the very same house, and with a sad boy's face in an upper window. She asks him to come outside. He cannot, because his legs will not move, and because she has not drawn any stairs in the house.

Found by a search party, Anna is returned home, where her behavior is explained by the fever she has developed. The film alternates between Anna's sickroom and her dream landscape, and very few other characters are allowed into her confined world. Among them, however, are her mother (Glenne Headly) and her doctor (Gemma Jones), and there are flashbacks to her absent father (Ben Cross), who is the distant and ambiguous father figure of so many frightening children's stories.

The film develops a simple rhythm. Anna draws, dreams and then revises her drawings. She sketches in a staircase for the young boy, whose name is Marc, and fills his room with toys. She adds a fruit tree and flowers to the garden. And then one day she discovers, to her astonishment, that her doctor has another patient - a boy named Marc, who faces paralysis, and about whom she is very concerned.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I remember Paperhouse and it did remind me of that old children series in question when I saw it.

So much so that I was convinced they both originated from the same story.

I need to dig a bit deeper.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    This was the 1979(ish) "The Stones Of Blood", a four part story which was 'part three' in the Key To Time saga. Available on region 1 DVD.

9. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Star Trek - The Devil in the Dark. Creature was known as a Horta.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    "The Stones Of Blood" - creatures were called something like "ogri" - looked like standing stones in a circle, but could be brought to life by having blood poured on them; the villainess was called Vivian Fay.

11. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Definately not 'Children of the Stones'.Thor is close with 'Paperhouse' but 1988 I was a bit too old to be scared:) ,so maybe the film was based on the BBC series set in the 70's,was the series called 'Paperhouse'? I've found nothing on the BBC archives.This is definately bugging me,everyone I ask remembers the series but not the title.
    Just found it :clap:
    Paperhouse was based on a Catherine Storr childrens novel 'Marianne Dreams',which was previously a British TV series called 'Escape into Night',
    Just ordered 'Paperhouse' off Play,cheers Thor,will now see if the original series is available.
    Thanks
    Rob