1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats this Canon 35mm SLR set worth

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by kbfern, Aug 30, 2005.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    I am looking to sell my Canon EOS 650 equipment to fund the purchase of a digital SLR type camera does anyone know what its worth?

The equipment is as new although quite a few years old, is all housed in a nice aluminium case.

Canon EOS650 with EF 35-105mm f3.5-f4.5 lens
    Canon EF 100mm-300mm zoom f5.6
    Canon 300EZ speedlight flash
    Rubber lens hood
    polorizer & sky lens filters

3 Hoya special effects filters & holder

Would I get more if part exchanging against a new camera up to £300.If I put for sale on this forum what should I ask.

Are the canon lenses suitable for use with a current DSLR if I could not get a reasonable price for the complete outfit and decided to use the lenses with a new DSLR such as a canon 300d say.

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are going to find the camera value a bit depressing... best to look on ebay at completed items.
    If you go for a Canon DSLR you can use those lenses on it.
    Lenses sell well on ebay also so you can value them there too.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Looking at prices on ebay for the individual items that make up the set I would have thought £250 ish would be a fair price, what do you think.

Below prices sold on ebay in the last couple of weeks
    EOS 650 bodies £20-£30
    35mm-105mm zooms £50-80
    100mm-300mm zooms £130-200
    flash £20-30

So around £250 to include the filters and aluminium case would seem a reasonable buy.

4. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are used to SLR then I'd recommend you get a DSLR and keep the lenses, the 350D is really nice and about £500-600 body only. I think you'll be really disappointed with the performance of a compact, especially one in the £300 price bracket. Of course, I don't know why you are getting rid of your SLR, but as Robert said, the lenses are most likely worth more than the camera.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Ken

I am selling the camera as I have not used it for a long time and would like to get back into photography at a less serious level.As you say the lenses are going to be worth the bulk of the total value.

I am sure that I won't get the sort of pictures with a £300 digital that I could get with a 350d say but I don't want to really get back into photography with a £500+ purchase of a new camera using my existing lenses.

I would rather use the sale of my current equipment (which is not used) to fund/part fund a new digital camera such as the new Olympus SP500UZ that should be out in Oct for £300.

6. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    you may want to consider the canon powershot pro1 - I have film gear EOS5/600 + loads and lenses and wanted somethng small and easy to carry around.
    I purchased the Pro1 last november and have not looked back since.

Also the Nikon 8800 is worth a look a mate of mine has purchased this camera - but I find it arkward to use as I'm used to canon layout