What's this brass pipe coming out of kitchen wall outside

p1tse

Prominent Member
Reaction score

Its your boiler 'overflow'.

Or more precisely, it's a visual indication that there is a problem.

Yeah maybe not brass, copper type? Dunno lol

Strange as boiler isn't there but is a couple of metres away at a guess

Maybe from a previous site of boiler? Looks too low down for a combi as most are placed up high....

Looks like it's from an old gas heater capped off gas pipe. We have similar in our kitchen and utility room

The house is only about 10-12 years old
Not sure if boiler has been changed

Could it be overflow from 1st floor as the opposite side to this inside are pipe work from upstairs ensuite location

That corrosion after 10-12 years needs checked out.
There would be an internal leak coming out there.

Judging from the manhole next to it, surely that's just your incoming water mains?

I think it's also condensate overflow from the boiler mine runs under the floor about 3.5m and is similar diameter.

Also, if it were the incoming water main it would be one stinky, thirsty household (take a second look at the picture ;))

I should say I can move the pipe up so its not into the ground

Judging from the manhole next to it, surely that's just your incoming water mains?
Does your incoming water main come from a manhole?
Where is your gas meter in relation to this pipe and the boiler. Could it be the gas feed from meter to boiler as it looks like a 22mm pipe? Boiler overflows (if that's the correct name) are generally 15mm. Very badly and probably illegally done if so?

EDIT: Forget what I've just said. Didn't see this post
I should say I can move the pipe up so its not into the ground

Last edited:
Shouldn't the condensate pipe from a boiler flow straight into a drain or the soil stack?
I didn't think they were allowed to discharge into the open?

If it is from a boiler, it probably is the pipe from the blow off valve.

It will be your PRV pipe. Pressure Relief Valve pipe off your combi or pressurised boiler.

Not ideally positioned, but it's ok there. Do you have a new pipe similar to this from the new boiler?

Carl

Newish into the house
But I believe house is only about 10-12 year old
Original boiler might be still in use which is on the same wall but about 3-4 metres away at guess

Not sure what the man hole cover is for actually

Not sure what the man hole cover is for actually

The man hole will be for access to the waste water system and the copper pipe is discharging into the manhole cavity.

Is the pipe causing any problems?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom