Whats the worst film/TV show on DVD you have PAID for?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, here is a spin :)

I was thinking about this today "Whats the worst film/TV show i've ever bought?" in other words whats the film that you have bought and been disappointed by?

please understand its not the worst film/TV show you've seen, it what you have paid your hard earned for?

Film:
My choice would be Shoalin Soccer. i went to the trouble of getting a region 3 copy - the korean utimate edition 3 discs no less. I found the film so unfunny that it has sent me too sleep twice. when i finally did stay awake i found that it had some of the worst subtitling in the history of subtitling.

TV Show:
For TV Show i'd choose Carnivale - a very uncheap HBO boxset. As regular readers know - i love nothing more than to watch TV boxsets in days. but rthis was a real slog for me (avid Twin Peaks fan - so i know about slow burning TV). but this was like watching paint dry in a wet atmosphere. I think i still have 5 episodes to watch - 6 months after i bought it. :rolleyes:

So whats yours?

Gary

My worst movies I ever bought would have to be 28 days latter and The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue :suicide:

The worst movie I paid money for was Dungeons & Dragons - in my defence, straight after I watched it i took it back and got a refund it was so bad.

I havnt yet bought any TV dvds i didnt enjoy - mainly because im buying shows i liked in the first place when i saw them on tv originaly

Solaris wins hands down for me on movies, with Lost in translation a close 2nd.

I ended up running Solaris on fast forward after about 10 mins of normal speed for the rest of the movies. What a waste of money that was! And Lost in translation was meant to be a comedy of some sort, was it eck as like!!

Been happy with the few TV series I have though so no complaints on that front

What are you on about LFCrules. Lost in Translation is an absolute classic. Pity your taste in movies is not as good as your taste in football teams. HeHe.
For me the worst movie I have bought recently has to be Oceans 12.

Wild Wild West.....£4 wasted....

Gone in 60 seconds - only worth watching for the cars!

Armageddon - could only take so much of the ever present american flag and all out grossworthy uber patriotism culminating in the scene in the giant hanger with a massive flag pinned to one of the walls and the actors artfully posed against it - yeuchh!

The worst movie ........

Anchorman the legend of ron burgendy :eek:

This was bought on blind faith (having not seen it in the cinema). Its the most unfunny comedy I have ever seen, a complete load of rubbish, with the only redeming quality being when it ends :D

Tv box sets.

Well it would have to be seasons 6,7,8 of A touch of Frost. Not beacsue the program is bad , but becasue the transfer is utter pants. They have zoomed in on the picture to make a widescreen image :eek:

Details here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161304&page=2&pp=10&highlight=touch+Frost

Worst DVD Film would have to be Little Nicky. It was actually a rental and it was the worst film I have ever seen.

I then went on holiday for a week. Arrived home with a letter from Blockies saying that I could keep the film if I paid about 20 quid or settle the overdue fines which came to about the same.

I chose to settle the fines (so technically its not a bought dvd but cost me more!).

Worst DVD's are:

Analyse This
Ticker
Bride of Chucky
Godsend

Alone in the dark DVD - Went for it way before the review. How I regret it now.

Oooh thats easy, "The Fast & The Furious", spent most of it wondering what it was actually about, easily the worst film i've ever seen after Pearl Harbour

Toss up between

Gladiator - Overacted Hollywood tripe.

or

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Overhyped with it's awsome special wire effects, which I'd seen done years before and much better in films such as Fong Sai Yuk and Once Upon a Time in China.

Does a Britney Spears music video count? Got it for my then 10 year old daughter out of Virgin Canterbury for about 18 quid (under protest from me I might add) - she watched it once - hated it - I watched a bit of it - hated it too!!

Took it to a boot sale - couldn't get rid of it there either!! :eek:

stretcher said:
Does a Britney Spears music video count? Got it for my then 10 year old daughter out of Virgin Canterbury for about 18 quid (under protest from me I might add) - she watched it once - hated it - I watched a bit of it - hated it too!!

Took it to a boot sale - couldn't get rid of it there either!! :eek:

Gary will buy it off you. :D

Actually I am surprised that Gary didn't mention Alexander. May be he is growing to like it. :confused:

Scream.

Switched it off after an hour. Brought it back to HMV and told the bloke honestly and upfront what I'd done, I'd hated it and I'd never ever look at it again and asked him if he's change it.

He said "I know what you mean mate!" and took it back and gave me a swop. Top man!

American Beauty.blair witch(bought region 1 )thought I was being clever..

what overrated tripe!

A two-way tie between Windtalkers and Hart's War...both purchased on the recommendations of others.

If I really, really, really had to pick the stinker of the bunch, it would be Hart's War.

By all accounts, the tension during filming between Bruce Willis and Colin Farrell was bordering on explosive...such a shame none of it made it onto the screen.

Razor said:
Actually I am surprised that Gary didn't mention Alexander. May be he is growing to like it. :confused:

Nah mate never, the reason i didn't pick it was because i didn't PAY for it. it was a free rental and that dont count. :D

Gary

Stop the presses, stop the presses....I take it all back!!!

I just took a gander at Hart's War on IMDB and found this under the trivia secton:

When Colin Farrell sneaks out of the barracks near the end of the movie he hides from two passing guards. As the guards pass they are speaking German. What they are saying translates to: "My dog has no nose" "How does he smell?" "Terrible."

If only I had paid more attention during German lessons at school! I had no idea that there was so much hidden comic depth to this movie. How could I have been so wrong???

Film
I was thinking either The Haunted Mansion or The Haunting, both of which were oversold by the trailers and clips I'd seen, but then I remembered Secretary. I was expecting a 'different' film, but this was just plain odd and boring! (I really wanted to say Moulin Rouge, but realistically I knew I'd hate it and it was bought for the other half, who thinks it's great.)

TV Show
I don't really have one, only buying things I really want to see. I could only mention Peter Kay's Driven to Distraction, which is his short 'first-attempt' before he became well known. I bought it to add to the Peter Kay collection, and it wasn't expensive. But essentially it is a short, weak item, with his Coronation Street appearances also included to pad it out a bit.

Oddball
Not strictly within 'the question' but I also want to mention this: Ghost World. When I watched this, I thought I'd made a huge mistake, it was completely weird and not how I thought it would be. But I carried on watching it and I'm glad I did because it's one of the most thoughtful films I've ever seen. It's very different, but very rewarding (in my opinion!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom