Whats the workaround for resetting a noisy HD box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by adybaines, Dec 30, 2006.

1. adybaines

adybaines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all,

Got sky HD installed just before xmas and remember reading somewhere (but cant find it again)...

About a method to reduce the fan noise from the box as its fairly loud... it involved i think unplugging/replugging in the box.. but not sure if i am supposed to unplug it at the mains or pull the lead out the back of the box/does it need to be on or in standby mode when i do this..?

wondering what this does/how is this supposed to help??

the engineer already downloaded the latest software update so im hoping this method above may reduce the existing noise somewhat....

thing is i also got multiroom installed with a sky+ box upstairs sat ontop of the tv.. and this is also equally as noisey as the HD box... i read before that most people have silent sky+ boxes so maybe its where i have them positioned on surfaces instead of in cabinets on shelves??

many thanks

andy :smashin:

2. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I mentioned this in another thread but anyway this is what I did with my noisy HD box whether it works for all noisy boxes, I just don't know.

When it was installed both the disk drive fan underneath the box and the case fan on the side were both running continuously, even on standby. I rebooted the box by switching it off for 30 secs and switching it back on which seemed to fix the case fan problem but the disk drive fan was still running 24/7.

The following day I rebooted the box again and that seems to have sorted out the disk drive fan. It now comes on about 5 mins after the box is switched on and switches off a couple of minutes after the drive has spun down after putting the box in standby.

3. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    forced update

turn of hd box at mains, hold backup button on box as you turn it on,wait for all the lights at front to light up and leave, don't turn box off it will tell you it's updating and then go into standby when finished, leave for a bit then switch on.