• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Whats the USB ports on my monitor for?

nicolanicola

Standard Member
Just got a Dell 2209WA, from a forum member in classifieds (it's wonderful, I love it). I'm wondering what the usb ports are for? My monitor is connected via the a DVI cable to my macBook Pro with a dvi cable using a adaptor previously bought to connect my mac to my HDTV. Whilst I'm on this note, is this the best way of connecting them?

But what are the USB ports for? It'd be useful if I could use them for my speakers, my graphics tablet etc, but I don't think I can. So what are they for?

The set up guide set to connect the monitor to computer with a USB port, but I didn't need to, it was fine with the DVI cable. Was that right?

DVI will give you the best picture and is the best way to connect up to your monitor.
I have a 20" Dell and it has 4 USB ports, it acts like a hub, connect a usb cable from the monitor up to the PC and anything else you plug into the monitor will work like it was connected to the PC.

They can't be used for picture i'm afraid.

Last edited:

mossym

Distinguished Member
it's a usb hub, same as any hub you'd buy in the shop..one of the usb ports on your monitor should be different to the others. you connect this to your pc, then the other ports ont he monitor are just extra ports to the one on your pc, meaning you can hook anything into them and it will be the same as if you had them hooked to your monitor.

nicolanicola

Standard Member
it's a usb hub, same as any hub you'd buy in the shop..one of the usb ports on your monitor should be different to the others. you connect this to your pc, then the other ports ont he monitor are just extra ports to the one on your pc, meaning you can hook anything into them and it will be the same as if you had them hooked to your monitor.

Thank you, less connections on my mac now!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom