1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the size of your Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paulherb, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I run my CRT on a 7 ft wide screen and to me it looks great. Trouble is I've got the ictchies for a bigger screen. I fancy a nice big 10 ft wide screen. My CRT can be set up for abigger screen as the manual says up to 300 inches but I suppose you need the throw distance and you lose brightness.

Any how, any one had any experience with a 9/10 foot screen?

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,133
    Paul,

Most people have a maximum of 8ft, anymore and you begin to lose brightness and detail.

I have a 7.5ft wide screen (16:9) and at times I think i nead bigger, but then again I am proberly at the limit now for my room. I have seen Jeff Crawfords 8ft 16:9 Stewart 130 from an 808s and it was very good.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart Studiotek 130, 87"x 49". This seems to be pretty much reference size whatever CRT you own.
    Need bigger..........Move your chair closer. Easy peesy japaneesy.

Eric

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A caution from a thread I believe Spectre answered is that if you increase the throw distance too much, as well as making the image dimmer, you also begin to see gaps in the scan lines unless you employ line doublers etc.

I think it was related to CRTs rather than LCDs (which is what I have).

5. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read an interesting aritcal by Sam Runco, who should know a thing or two. He stated that for a 7 inch CRT in his opinion the screen size should not exceed 7 feet for optimum viewing and the viewing distance should be at least 1.5 times the screen width. With this in mind you should be no closer than 10 and a half feet away from a 7 foot screen, which should give you the impact of a larger screen.

I use a 72 inch screen for my 7 inch CRT. It's not the biggest screen and if the room was slightly bigger I would of probably opted for a 7 foot screen, however I still get a good impact from a closer viewing distance.

popeye

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The ability to detect scan lines has nothing to do with screen size on a crt projector. It's to do with how close you can get each scan line to the next on the face of the tube. This doesn't change with screen size. As you get a bigger screen the projector has to go further back and there may be a point where it's harder to focus the thing. This will make it harder to see scan lines, not easier, with a bigger screen.

The bigger the screen the dimmer the image. Just like moving a torch further away from a wall. I have a client with a 9ft wide Studiotek130 Stewart screen. He has a Seleco500 projector. The image is very watchable. It would be better and have more 3D depth to image if it was at 7ft. His room is VERY dark and light controlled.

Paul you've got a Barco 800 haven't you? This is a pretty bright Electrostatic unit. I'd say that you could do 8-9 and have a nice image. It will not be as good as it is just now. Is there anyway you can try it to see or do you have a fixed installation?

Gordon

7. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice gents!

Cheers

Paulh.

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PaulH

Without wishing to repeat the above replies, I dropped from an 8ft to a 7ft screen with my Graphic 801s. Whilst this now gives me total darkness, the picture did improve a huge leap. Now I have a totally film like images.

Scanlines are reduced with a scaler/doubler. I used to have an Data 800 which loved the XGA setting on my quadscan. It's now fed to my 801. I can get my 801 to take quad which is 63.4

Personally, I would concentrate on getting the reflections down in the room first. This stops the picture looking washed out. If the brain can't see anything else other than the actual picture, i'm sure you'll get lost in it.

If the room is dark then the pj does not need to work so hard. I hate it when you see a cream "dedicated room" with loads of nice wooden cupboards around the speakers and other cabinets reflective picture frames etc, that must play havoc with room acoustics not to mention refecting light everywhere. Yeh just like a cinema !?!?! NOT

Hope this helps

Nathan

;)

9. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers nfordenfield

paulh.

Thread Status: