1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the score with HD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Binkysdad, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From reading some of the Threads, I can see there are some real knowledgeable people out there.. I hope you can help me in the same way as you have helped others.

Also, I'm not a techy so please keep any answers simple so I can understand.

I am looking into upgrading my TV to a plasma and it appears the Panasonic 7series, gets everyones vote.

I'm seeing a lot on here about HD and when selecting the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY in the shop selection on this site, it says it's HD TV ready. Is this correct?

I am still also working on convincing the wife, that Plasmas are the way to go. Only problem is, everytime we walk into a shop. The picture quality never appears to great on a plasma, compared to a normal TV. I have Sky+ at home, so am making a big assumption that the digital signal will look crystal clear once it is setup?

I know HD stands for High Deifinition and can make a educated guess as to what it means. But from a non techy view, what is the real difference between this, a digital signal or a play back of a DVD?

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The PWD7 is not HD ready.

Most plasmas on display in ordinary TV shops are very poorly set up and tend to be connected less than optimally to poor source devices. When set up properly the good plasmas will match the picture quality of all but the very most expensive conventional TVs. The Sky digital signal isn't a very high quality source but it will give a good picture when done properly.

High Definition TV is capable of delivering a better picture than DVD (and DVD should be better than Sky). There is more information in the broadcast signal which gives a clearer, more accurate picture when displayed on a high definition panel.

If ultimate picture quality is your goal then the PWD7 is not for you but many people on here find that it is good enough for now and it displays standard definition TV and DVDs very nicely.

3. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what is the real big difference between a Plasma and a standard TV?

4. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Size.When did you last see a 42" telly,never mind 50" and above.

5. Binkysdad

Binkysdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't think of it like that...

6. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    And your average crt may look a little out of place hanging on a wall :)