What's the score with DVB-S cards and CAM?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rogeralpine, Aug 4, 2004.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a pinnicle card advertised with CAM, but as everyone seems to rave about Skystar, I wondered if they do such a card?

I'm just about ready to buy a DVB-S card but I'd rather have one with a CAM.

Any help folks?

2. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hauppauge Nexus-S without the CAM support. You can get CAM support if you want. From their website, it is compatible with:

Viaccess, Cryptoworks, Irdeto, Seca, Betacrypt, Conax, Nagravision, and Allcam. It has not been tested with PowerVU, Mediaguard, and Eurocrypt.

I don't have a CAM because the satellites I point to are all either free, or use Nagravision encryption which is ridiculously easy to break. And before someone yells at me for "stealing" signals, it is illegal for Americans to buy/sell signals in Canada, so decrypting American channels is perfectly legal. I pay my dues to Bell ExpressVU, which I get on my TV.

The Hauppauge Nexus-S even supports HD, but in software mode only. The hardware won't decrypt HD signals. Be sure you have a hefty CPU for that.

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - I'm specifically looking at receiving Euro1080 and as they're encrypting from 1/9/04 (their latest update) I would need a card with CAM.

I'm hoping my PC should be good enough - I've a P4 2.8 - FSB533 with 512mb (prolly up this to a gig) (dunno how different this is to the FSB800?) and I'm currently looking at adding a gfx card (I presume I'll need one as I'm sure the onboard won't be good enough). I will also want to playback HD files as well. What software players are recommended - VLC?

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....any decent programs on these channels?

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: Missed that bit!!

6. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you're in Great Britain, lets see what you can get...

Sirius 2 satellite carries a few channels, but they're all PowerVU encrypted.

Hotbird 4 has a some free stuff... but the good stuff is encrypted.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/hb4.html

Same with Hotbird 3
    http://www.lyngsat.com/hb3.html

Go here and explore what satellites cover you and what channels are on them, and how they're encrypted.

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

7. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those links!

Still no views on any CAM enabled cards folks? Is the Pinnicle one about the only one?

8. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the Hauppauge Nexus can be optionally bought with a CAM module.

9. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Rogeralpine
    I and a few others here are using the Hauppauge WinTV nova CI which works fine with encrypted Euro1080. This card is made by TechnoTrend who also sell it under their own name as 'Budget Line'
    You will also need an Irdeto 2 CAM and of course the Euro1080 card

Jim

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I was under the impression that 3GHZ was the minimum for HD files although 1080 tv isnt quite so hard. Perhaps it would be wise to go for a higher spec as there is better content available online at the moment, although the Marylyn Manson concert tofday was intresting!

11. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    P4 2.8 is adequate

Jim

12. Eson

Eson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Sweden and have been trying to get a hold of a subscriptioncard for euro1080 without any luck. Anyone who can point me in any direction? Euro1080 isnt answering my mails.

On another note: How is the support in Mytheatre for the Hauppauge card?

13. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all!

I'm also trying to find details on Euro1080 card availability.

Finally, any recommendations on a gfx card?

14. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mytheater works fine with the Nexus. I prefer progDVB though. I have a motor on my dish because I track over 20 satellites and it is a pain to get Mytheater to work with the motor. progDVB seems to be a tad easier.

For a video card, I'm kind of partial to ATI. The HDTV Wonder works wonders with a Radeon 9800.

15. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The budget Technotrend DVB-S (Nova CI equivalent) card comes with a separate CI according to the pictures I've seen - does this take up a further PCI slot?

I presume there must be DVB-S cards with the CI incorporated onto the card? (Sure I've seen them?)

Anyone know?

16. pinkoboe

pinkoboe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A new revision of the Skystar 1 is due out at the end of this month (apparently) which has an onboard CAM amongst other features.

Sorry to hijack the the thread but can anyone tell me if the add-on CAM for the Skystar 1 will accept a BBC free to air viewing card?

17. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Muf,

Which DVB application(s) are you using to decode & watch Euro1080 on the WinTV Nova CI? And do you have any recommendations for an Irdeto 2 CAM that will definitely work with this combination?

I’m contemplating replacing my SkyStar 2 with a CI card, for reception of Euro1080 once it encrypts full time.

Unfortunately, I’ve also been unable to locate a dealer willing to sell smart-card only subscriptions to Euro1080. The only one I could get a response from would only sell subscriptions bundled with the STB. :(

Cheers.

18. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,664
    Have you tried www.sateuropa.co.uk ? They have the card listed on the site as a seperate item at £139, doesn't say anything about having to buy the STB with it.

Cheers,
    Andy

19. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks Andy! That’s exactly what I was looking for. :)

Cheers.

20. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello Abstrakt, sorry I am a bit late getting back to you, busy day in the garden.
    The Win TV Nova comes with software which works fine with encrypted Euro1080. It has two limitations
    1. It splits the recordings in to segments of 4GByte files so for instance if you record a program it may end up as 3 separate files and you can't play them back as a continious program ie. you can't select the three files and get them to play seamlessly from start to finish. Instead you select file one, play it and when it finishes you select file two etc. a bit akward.
    2. This software won't pass the AC3 audio through to your AV amp although it pretends to.
    Both problems will probably be solved in future releases ( typical software philosophy, sell it first, fix it later)

I have recently discovered another software which works with this card, "Watch TV Pro". I bought this on line €18 and at first did not have much success, they have a discussion forum which is good and you can see the developments there. With the latest Beta version, there is no 4 GB file limit, it decrypts Euro1080 OK but still it won't pass the AC3 audio. The HD files with AC3 audio recorded in this app will play back in the full version of DVBviewer (SkyStar 2 software) successfully and the DVBviewer will pass the AC3 audio to the AV amp. So we are almost there. Again I am sure that another release of Wach TV Pro will solve a lot of problems.

Jim

21. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the reply, Muf! Your findings have undoubtedly saved me months of research. :)

At the moment I can watch and record Euro1080, when it is not encrypted, with my SkyStar2 and the multitude of DVB programs that work with this card (MyTheatre, DVBViewer, Alt-DVB, ProgDVB, etc...)

Each program has its pros and cons though. That’s why I was hoping there would be a wide selection of third party apps for the Win TV Nova as well.

Cheers.

22. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Jim,

You might want to give MyTheatre v3.12 a try. It automatically scans the audio PIDs whenever you tune into a saved channel, and should find the AC3 PID for Euro1080 when it is active.

I use MyTheatre with the SkyStar 2 and can get it to pass the AC3 track to my receiver this way, through a customized graph (InterVideo Video Decoder and AC3Filter Audio Decoder).

If I replace my current DVB card with a WinTV Nova-CI, MyTheatre was exactly the solution I had in mind for Euro1080 + Irdeto 2 decryption + live AC3 passthrough via S/PDIF.

MyTheatre's official site has a support forum as well.

Cheers.

23. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Abstrakt, but there is no problem picking up the ac3 pid 217, just rescan the channel. BTW it seems Euro1080 has AC3 full time now. The problem was getting it to pass the ac3 to the s/pdif output but Rittberg tells me he has found a solution for this now. That leaves only the 4GB recording limit problem. I believe an update is less than two weeks away.
    I looked in to My Theatre when I got the Nova about 6 months ago and on their forum I discovered there were lots of problems with recognising the CAM, of course things may have changed now.
    Thanks again.

Jim

Correction: I just tuned in to Euro1080 and there is no AC3 pid at this time while they are transmitting the loop but I do believe all the two channel programs that used to be transmitted in PCM are now AC3 2.0

24. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Jim,

Sorry I couldn’t be of much help then.

But if you ever get fed up with WatchTV Pro, do give MyTheatre a try. Its trial version is fully featured, but it stops working after an hour. The developer, Saar, owns a Nova-CI himself and claims to be happy with it, so hopefully all issues with the CI feature have been resolved by now.

From what I've read on WatchTV Pro's site, its biggest drawback (IMHO) is that it relies on Technotrend’s ActiveX control to support the Nova. What this implies is that there will always be limitations introduced by Technotrend’s software that cannot be fixed by WatchTV’s developers.

For a flawless reception of HDTV (including AC3 ;)) at this early stage we need all the flexibility we can get; and we simply cannot get that from an app based on an ActiveX control.

Cheers.

25. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Abstrakt, I can see you are anxious to find out how MyTheater works with the Nova CI and I wouldn't mind finding out myself. I installed it this morning right after you posted on this thread and I am still messing with it, no work done yet today.
    The first thing I realised after installing it was that I had tried it before. I messed with it before for a good while and never got it to work, then un-installed it and forgot about it. It is now giving me the same problems it gave before, can't find my Intervideo audio filter. I am now at the stage where I have got a picture and sound on Euro1080 using Elecard filters but each time I start it up I have to fiddle with it to get it running. It finds the CAM when starting up but I will have to wait until after 8 CET to see if that part works. It looks like a good package if only I could get it to work properly. Lots of nice features like DiSEq 1.2 positioner built in.

Jim

26. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    hehe I didn’t think you’d try it immediately, Jim. Maybe you're as anxious as I am to get the tweaking over with and sit down to a perfect presentation every time. ;)

I have ordered my Nova today, along with some other goodies, but I won’t have them for another 10 days since I had them shipped to Germany. I must now wait for a relative traveling back to Italy to get my hands on them. Once I’m all setup, I’ll be hopefully able to provide you with detailed instructions of what I’ve done.

But in the meantime… YGM! Maybe we can get the troubles you are having sorted out even sooner…