1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the scam here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Comer, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have received the following email a few times over the past month and I'm wondering what the scam is here. Will they look for bank details or what.

Just curious

The National Lottery
    P O Box 1010
    Liverpool, L70 1NL
    UNITED KINGDOM
    (Customer Services)
    Fax: 44 (0)871 661 8831. 22nd April, 2005.

FINAL WINNING NOTIFICATION:

Dear Winner,

RE: BONUS LOTTERY PROMOTION PRIZE AWARDS WINNING NOTIFICATION

We are pleased to notify you the draw (#915) of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY, Online Sweepstakes International Lottery Program held on Monday 21st March, 2005.

Participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from a pool of over 25,000 names of distinguished professionals drawn from Europe, America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Middle-East, parts of Africa, and North & South America as part of our international promotions programme conducted annually to encourage prospective overseas entries. We hope with part of your prize awards, you will take part in our subsequent lottery jackpots.

The result of our computer draw (#912) selected your name and email address attached to e-ticket number: 56475600187 121 with Serial number 5951/02 drew the lucky numbers: 04-14-23-31-35-41(bonus no.24), which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category i.e. match 5 plus bonus.

You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of £150,000,00 (One Hundren and Fifty Thousand Pounds Sterling) in cash credited to file KTU/9023118308/03.This is from a total cash prize of £656,000,00 shared amongst the first Six (6) lucky winners in this category i.e. Match 5 plus bonus.

Your prize award has been insured in your name and is ready for claims. To begin your claims therefore, you are advised to expeditiously contact our licensed and accredited claim agent for Overseas Lottery Winners within a period of 21 days (date of this email inclusive) for the processing of your winning and remittance to your designated bank account after all statutory obligations have been satisfactorily dispensed with.

This promotion takes place weekly. Please note that your lucky winning
    number falls within our European booklet representative office in Europe as indicated in your play coupon. In view of this, your £150,000,00 (One Hundren and Fifty Thousand Pounds Sterling) would be released to you by our payment office in Europe.

Please be informed that claims not processed within the stipulated period may be forfeited to the pool without further notice.

Our European agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact him. You may wish to establish contact via e-mail with the particulars presented below citing the batch and reference numbers to this letter between the hours of 8.00am - 7.30pm on Monday through Friday.

Overseas Claims Unit
    United Kingdom Lottery Fiduciary
    Contact Person: Mr. Frank WILLCOX
    Email: customer_service@ukcentralgame.net , Phone: +44-703 194 7626
    Fax : +442076813407

Our winners are assured of the utmost standards of confidentiality, and press anonymity until the end of proceedings, and beyond where they so desire. Be further advised to maintain the strictest level of confidentiality until the end of proceedings to circumvent problems associated with fraudulent claims. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

At your disposal we remain.
    Sincerely yours,

Bertron HILL.

The National Lottery
    P O Box 1010
    Liverpool, L70 1NL
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Fax: 44 (0)871 661 8831.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Did you enter?

No?

Then it's a scam.

Possibly at some point during the claim process you will need to give ID and/or bank details. Or possibly ring up a premium rate claim line.

Whatever it is, don't fall for it.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    The email address customer_service@ukcentralgame.net seems bogus. www.ukcentralgame.net reveals this to be an MSN personal address. Wouldn't you expect an organisation dishing out hundreds of thousands of pounds to have their own proper website and email addresses?

A quick Google shows this is almost certainly some form of fraud.

See
    http://www.internet-fraud.com/cgi-b....cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID32&conf=DCConfID6
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=1653&page=2

You might want to notify this to the REAL National Lottery people.

http://www.lottery.co.uk/genhtml/Default.asp?page=camelot

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Just noticed. The address given in your email is genuine, but the phone numbers are those for the scam operators.

Definitely ring Camelot and/or the police to see if they would like to take action. I expect Ofcom may also be interested in taking action to cut off their phone number, but leave that to Camelot.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I never had any doubt that it's a scam. In fact I usually delete these things immediately. But being curious as to what the scam was I scrolled down the email expecting to find something like a premium rate telephone number or a link to a form looking for details such as bank account details. But there is none. I'm sure that when the "lucky winner" calls the number they are asked for such details.

The email was sent to a work address so I would probably have to share the money with them, and giving them even one penny would break my heart :D

Oh well, I'd better call to cancel that three-Chip DLP I ordered this morning :D

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The maths stinks too: £656,000 divided by 6 = £109,333 not £150,000. Perhaps they have over paid you by mistake :)