What's the scam here?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed this morning I missed a Special Delivery (Royal Mail Something For You card)

Just tried to book re delivery although thought to check the RM tracking site first as I wasn't expecting anything.

The details show it's coming from Nigeria which is pretty bizarre.

Google didn't come up with any suggestions although I'm 100% sure this is a scam, what kind though? Any suggestions??

It's not one of these "phone this particular number and it cost's £50 a minute" or something is it?

Only go through the Official Royal Mail Website.

It's not one of these "phone this particular number and it cost's £50 a minute" or something is it?

Only go through the Official Royal Mail Website.

I've booked the re delivery through the website, it's arriving on Wednesday. Just unusual that whoever is sending this knows my full name and address. I've never had anything sent from Nigeria and in fact the only orders I have outstanding are from Gearbest and are coming from China... I'm really confused!

Huh, so if it's not the call this scam (there have been several) and it's a legit delivery, what is to lose, open it with latex gloves on though and outside, and be wary of any ticking sounds :).

Secret Santa? :laugh:

Get a mate to open it for ya, say you got your hands full or something :D

You sign for an empty box and then receive an invoice for goods delivered.

I would decline the delivery

Aren't Special Deliveries UK only anyway? And don't special deliveries have to record what is inside the box too?

You sign for an empty box and then receive an invoice for goods delivered.

I would decline the delivery
This :smashin:
Guy at work received two soundbars that he never ordered, wife took them in and they got the bill. Police involved now....

EDIT: Just to add, he thinks they are soundbars from the boxes and pictures on them but were not opened.

Last edited:
This :smashin:
Guy at work received two soundbars that he never ordered, wife took them in and they got the bill. Police involved now....

EDIT: Just to add, he thinks they are soundbars from the boxes and pictures on them but were not opened.
Unsolicited goods isn't it?

Unsolicited goods isn't it?
Yep I suppose, but I would have thought a box of bricks may be more financially rewarding for the scammer.

If they are speakers you can always take them out, put bricks in and tape the box back up then do a video unboxing :D

I guess the mystery will be solved on Wednesday, I wonder how someone posts from Nigeria using Special Delivery, makes no sense!

You could always say you wish to inspect the item before signing for it.

Aren't Special Deliveries UK only anyway? And don't special deliveries have to record what is inside the box too?

I guess the mystery will be solved on Wednesday, I wonder how someone posts from Nigeria using Special Delivery, makes no sense!

Firstly, 'Special Deliveries' from other countries are increasingly common - they're not really Special Deliveries and are often small, cheap items, but they have a barcode/tracking number.

There's absolutely no reason why most of them are SD's - they're the same as normal International signed for, and it's quite common to have two, three, or even several for the same house on the same day, with some coming ISF and some coming SD. SD's arrive at sorting and delivery offices separately from other mail, and everything in those bags has to be treated as a SD's.

One from an African country is fairly unusual though, nearly all the ones I get are from the Far East or within the EU.

We have no idea why it's happening, the guy in our office who deals with all the SD's asked about it when he went on a course and didn't get an answer as they didn't know either.

Some of them don't even need a signature when scanned, and they're not bound to the same 1pm deadline as official SD's.

You could always say you wish to inspect the item before signing for it.

I'd show you the outside of the packaging, but that's it.

"unsolicited goods" scam is my best guess but its not a good one so don't worry but I am intrigued

No as no phone company would set up such a system with a line with that high a call cost.

Mobile Phone Scam

Its not a typical RM tracking number, the code starts with DS7 which makes sense reading what Rob typed although it does state that its:-

i) A Parcel
ii) Undeliverable due to a signature being needed

The website mentions that is Special Delivery Guaranteed

I received this email today. I have a feeling it's fake but who knows. Should I click on "Recover my account"? What's the worst that could happen?

Screenshot_20161205-234420.png

Check by right clicking or hovering on the link. It will tell you where you are being taken

I received this email today. I have a feeling it's fake but who knows. Should I click on "Recover my account"? What's the worst that could happen?
Not sure if you're being serious or not...o_O

If in doubt log in to your PayPal account directly https://www.paypal.com/
Do not log into PayPal by clicking a link in the email.

Also, that 'Recovery My Account' button?
Bad Engrish much?!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom