What's the right solution?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redland_doug, Feb 17, 2005.

1. redland_doug

redland_doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what to buy in terms of a DVD-recorder solution. My fundamental requirement is to be able to get all my DV-camcorder video nicely edited, and onto DVD. My camcorder has a 1394 (AKA iLink, DVIn, FireWire) link. As I see it I have two basic options:

1. get a DVD recorder
    2. Get a DVD Burner for my PC

I have reasonably fast PC (2GHz), but option 2 would involve getting additional software and hardware (editing suite, codecs, possibly a bigger disk etc). I think option 2 could quite easily wind up being more expensive that option 1.

If I go for option 1, what should I be looking for? Obviously a 1394 input for a start! But what else? Do I need a box with a HDD too? What are the editing facilities provided by DVD recorders? Are they easy to use?

The added bonus of being able to use the DVD recorder to record analog telly or freeview telly is an obvious bonus too!

Does anyone have any models they can recommend that would suit my needs? I've read all sorts of horror stories about recorders being unable to maintain a/v sync, having clunky interfaces, producing inferior quality video (presumably poor encoding) making a racket, not being able to record successfully to some vendors media - it all makes me very nervious! All advice very gratefully received!

Cheers,

Doug

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    If you want to make edited, compatible recordings that play on other DVD players then you need to look at a HDD/DVDR combi such as the Panasonic E95, Toshiba RDXS32 or Pioneer 720.

The editing features tend to be very easy to use and offer decent editing facilities.

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for answers to the basic FAQs.

3. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doug,
    I bought a Toshiba XS32 partly for this purpose. I've also done lots of editing with my PC. DV capture is pretty straightforward - as long as you have the HDD space as you mention. Editing is the time consuming part and benefits from a fast computer, lots and lots of RAM and plenty of HDD space. Software wise I have found Pinnacle Studio Plus to be a good compromise between functionality and price. It has nice flexible DVD authoring capabilities too.
    I bought the XS32 to do straightforward high quality, more easily viewable, backups of my miniDV tapes. You can do cuts and add menus - and it's probably one of the most flexible DVDR's on the market, but it's nothing compared to PC with decent editing software, where you can add transitions, titling, music etc etc. If you don't want that then the DVDR in my opinion would be your best bet. The quality is superb and the speed you can make a DVDs is fantastic. It has the ability to add chapters automatically at scene changes (start stop on camcorder) - which will make editing far easier.
    Of course if you go the DVDR route, you can still bring your DVD's to your PC for further editing ...
    Cheers
    Gidon

4. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to create DVD-s from your videos (made by camcoder) the best solution is to use the PC - in my opinion. I have DVD-recorder too, but the editing features of the PC softwares are better.
    What do you need? (If you have PC):
    1. A firewire interface card (if there is not in your motherboard) ~10EUR
    2. A program to capture video, edit it and create DVD - with integrated MPEG conversion. I propose you the Pinnacle Studio Plus or the Ulead DVD Movie Factory (the editing features of Studio are much better!) You can buy the firewire card and the software in a package ~70EUR (Pinnacle Studio DV)
    3. A DVD burner (Ex. LG4163B ~60EUR).
    4. May be: bigger disk. 120G ~70EUR

It is chieper and better solution than a DVD recorder to create edited DVD-s, but of course you can use the DVD recorder to record from any analog source too.

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ideally, you get both… but it depends what you want to do.

For DV editing, a PC solution allows you to do more powerful editing. Editing packages designed to work on DV video (such as Sony Vegas, which I use) allow all kinds of effects to be added. And DVD authoring packages (sometimes combined with an editing package) allow you to make DVD menus which rival Hollywood. The downside (apart from cost): rendering your fancy edits, and encoding to DVD can take a while. Also, once you find the power of the editing package you find yourself spending more and more time editing.

A Set top recorder is generally quicker and easier; and if all you want to do in your editing is cut stuff out, and don’t want to add fancy transitions, slow motion, edit the colour, etc, then it does the job. Again, editing is limited to cutting out stuff you don’t want. DVD menus are fairly basic.

The third option is to use a set top recorder, and do basic editing, then also use a PC and make fancier menus there. See Rasczak’s guide.

Mark

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Which can be found here or in the DVD Recorders FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.