What's the ribbon for?

spl23

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This has been bugging me ever since I got an AVR750...

If you look through the ventilation slots on the top at the main heatsink, there seems to be a piece of cloth ribbon running across the front of the heatsink vanes, glued on at either side and, on mine, slightly torn in a couple of places.

I've worked in engineering for 25 years, and I cannot for the life of me think of any reason to stick a bit of ribbon on a heatsink! The only thing I can think is it is some part of the "mask of silence", but that seems pretty unlikely. Either that, or it is something that is designed to do something when the fans turn on.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I'm just curious!

something to do with airflow ..?..that they thought of at the last minute
;-)

Tying a girls hair?

They cut it when they begin a repair?

Can't recall seeing that on mine. Theres a ribbon cable to the right but that's not ripped

Shine a torch down through the ventilation slots on the top, and you can see the ribbon quite easily - it runs along the front of the vanes on the main heatsink (so when you are looking down through the slots, you see the thin edge of the ribbon).

It's also visible on the internal photos on the areadvd.de review, so it's a standard feature!

Mine is grey, 3/4" wide, and runs the entire width of the heatsink. Couple nicks in mine too. No clue what it's for...

Just looked. Mine is similar. Looks like a black elasticated band across the heatsink. No nicks or breaks in mine though.

That's it - I'm sending my AVR750 back as faulty, as I clearly have a damaged ribbon...;)

Have you tried updating the firmware? :)

Strange. Thermal tape?? Who knows. Never heard the fans on mine or ever got it too hot so it could be normal

It's probably damping to reduce the effect of resonance ringing in the heatsink vanes

Ahh. Yeah. That would make sense.

Mine sits on a granite block so hopefully its quite "dampened"

It's probably damping to reduce the effect of resonance ringing in the heatsink vanes

I considered that, but it doesn't make sense - the mass of the ribbon is tiny compared to that of the heatsink, so it's going to do nothing at all for resonance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom