1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the quality like on digital camcorder grabs?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by loofer, May 30, 2002.

1. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thinking of getting a digital camcorder with a single shot function that lets you shoot a single still image whilst recording to print off later. I've been told the resolution is quite poor though does anybody have experience of this and how poor are they?

2. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Think cheap digital camera. If you want clear high res pics then a digital camcorder is not the best option. I've got a panasonic MX8 and although i've taken some good pics, the quality is really not all that great at the full resolution, i'm sticking to 640x480 as i get the best results with that res.

Here's one of my pics. 640x480 80k.

[​IMG]

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used a Sony PC100 for 3 years now and taken literally thousands of pictures (onto memory stick) and downloaded to my PC - then printed those I realy want - just got a 128Meg stick (£70) that can take 200 pictures.
    It must have paid for itself two times over by now (and I've got DV too...!!!)
    There's nothing wrong with the quality (it's 1 Megapixel) unless you look really close......
    There's a 1.5 Megapixel out there now (PC120) and I'd upgrade (if I was allowed to....!!!!)
    Anyway - I still use my 35mm camera - but only on 'special' occasions (Weddings, Funerals, etc.).

4. loofer

loofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys, both those models seem a little pricey though at £1200-£1500 i'm more in the £800 bracket. Would there be a big drop off from what you've shown at that price range?

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In my experience you would get brilliant results from a Sony Digital 8 or Panny DV from Empire that can be found for around £350 + for moving images and the new 2.2 megapixel Ricoh RR120 digital camera with TTL and great battery life and pics,for £200 ish,that I have just bought.

Thus saving you hundreds.

:)

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I agree with the last poster (although not necessarily on his choices :p )

If you want quality, then buy separately. I have a sony digital camera with 2.6 megapixels, and I've done prints up to 10x8" and they look great. some of that is the number of pixels, some is the camera being designed to take good stills.

If you want convenience, by all means get a miniDV cam that lets you shoot stills. Most in the £6-800 price range will. But you'll only get around 640x480, or possibly 1 megapixel if you look hard. The quality won't be up to digital camera standards, even 1 megapixel ones - camcorders are designed to shoot moving images, so still shots will always be a compromise.

I've just ordered a Sony TRV25, which happens to be able to shoot stills too. I don't plan to use that feature much, but it'll be handy if I forget to take along the camera.