1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the protocol for a new guy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nick shapley, Jul 1, 2003.

1. nick shapley

nick shapley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!!!!

Being a new member,I wondered what the protocols were for a new user.

I recently read a thread where a guy asked a question got "slammed" because of his lack of knowledge,then p.m`d the member who had been condescending and "had a go".

The new member got banned?

This guy Messiah had got the guy banned and he only asked what was the best projector.

Is this the norm in here? Dont seem too friendly?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    In the case in question....

1) I think the first response the new member got was uncalled for.

2) The new member's first PM was understandable, but still somewhat inappropriate

3) The new member's second PM was completely out of order, regardless of the circumstances that led up to it.

My advice:
    Ask your question.

Not everybody is as impatient with newbies as the one participant was in the above case.

If you get an unhelpful response, ignore it. Don't start being aggressive.

3. nick shapley

nick shapley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes your take on this is bang on!

Though I would add that there is no smoke without fire and the new member was ambushed!

Its just that you see in a lot of forums now it seems, members who take delight in getting others banned are many.

Invariably,it is the knowledgable that patronise the naieve,which is a shame as everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks for your answer.

4. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hopefully the new projector FAQ should help as a first stop for newbies to avoid clashes with the less-tolerant veterans........

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,659
    Hopefully you will read from my response how annoyed I was that the new member was not treated with more patience and respect.
    Any member found treating another member rudely is breaking the forum rules and depending on the severity of the insults will be given a warning or banned.
    The newbie in the instance we are talking about went way over the line in his PM and that's what got him banned.
    Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. And I have added a new note for all new users to read and abide by the forum rules upon registration. Long though they may be.

Ultimately I would hope that people get a great deal of pleasure and practical knowledge from using these forums and the amount of effort involved in getting aquainted with the 'protocol' is less than learning to play most of the PC games around at the moment.

6. nick shapley

nick shapley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Spectre.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to have been answered comprehensively.......moving to GC/feedback shortly.....

Welcome to avforums :)