whats the problem???

dobber24

Standard Member
Hi newbie here.
I have a Onkyo TX SR508 AV and a Toshiba BDX1200 Bluray.
When i watch films that are in DD true hd 7.1 there are quite parts?
When its being used (7.1) is this because I'am not using enough speakers because i have added an extra 2, or is it the AV or Bluray, not able to run 7.1?
I asked richer sound where i bought both from but what they suggested it did not help, hence me asking on here. See if anyone knows why or has had the same issue?

Kind regards Mike

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sorry but can you elaborate a bit more. What exactly is happening? What speakers are you using? Did you run the amp's setup (manually or using the mic)?

dobber24

Standard Member
yeah sure using the speakers which came with the av 5.1. all onkyo
when watching films in dolby true hd which is 7.1 ( btw no other english option unless you want commenary)
a 3-5 second part will go silent no audio what so ever ?
set up with and without mic. i have had it setup a while just watched mi4 ghost protocol last night which this happened in.
master audio no problems?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Does this 'silence' happen on the same part of the film all the time? When trying to fault find, you need to try and isolate the problem. As you have said it has happened on more than one disc we can rule that out and it's only on Dolby True HD. I would try swapping cables and maybe inputs on the AVR. When it happens, does the display change on the AV Receiver? Is HDMI audio output on or off? HDMI problems can be a right royal pain to diagnose. Try altering the sequence that you turn the equipment on as well as it could be a handshake issue (I'm really guessing now!).

dobber24

Standard Member
yes for instance got me blu ray player and bought transformers 3 (class film) and it happened, so checked it over and over one part exactly same point in film.
I didn't know if the equiptment i am using is capable of the 7.1? as i am assuming this is not on all the way through the film?
as for cables i have done that route and even bought fancy new one for blu ray.
Ah do i need to use an optical audio for true hd? or is hdmi ok?
thanks a bunch btw
I have coaxial out not optical just checked

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You only need HDMI. It doesn't matter that you're using only 5.1 instead of 7.1 so it has nothing to do with that. I don't suppose you could try another bluray player? Have a search in the bluray players forum to see if there any problems with particular discs. Did you try the Audio TV out option?

dobber24

Standard Member
not sure what that is audio tv option
i'm playing with it again now under audio output on the player i have 4 options in hdmi as follows
bitstream
PCM
Re-encode
off

no idea what it should be set to though
i will see if i can borrow my dads he has one now i think but noone else i know does

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It should be set to bitstream. Go into the setup menu, it should be in the audio/sound settings menu.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The settings should be okay on the player. I'm guessing that it's a handshake issue or a problem with the bluray player itself. This is why I suggest turning HDMI audio out to off in the AVR. If you can try another player this should help to isolate the problem.

dobber24

Standard Member
no still silent hmmm will speak to me dad tomorrow about player.
really appreciate the help and will post back on any updates/progress.
the player cost 40quid on offer s if i need to replace no major loss.
get bummed out a bit though buy all the right things and still have issues doh!

dobber24

Standard Member
I am getting a player off my dad to see if there is any difference.
I did try something different thought i fed, by HDMI, the bluray player into TV then that is fed via optical to AVR.
The same part of the film had no loss of sound, but it was not in DtrueHD was in Dolby?
Now I am thinking maybe my bluray or Avr does not support DtrueHd in 7.1, or is there a difference to 5.1 DtrueHd?
Confused :s

Last edited:

dobber24

Standard Member
Update on the issue all sorted once swapped the Toshiba BDX1250 out for me dads Pioneer, Thank f*%K it wasn't the AVR. Phew! Again thanks davepuma for all your help with my issue.
I'll be getting myself a new blu-ray at some point.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom