What's the point!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Chrisoldinho, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    But it does make a difference. Of course if your cack handed your not going to win no matter what, but the point here is the MP40 on most levels gives you an advantage because it is the best gun overall and it's few floors can be worked around by changing your gaming style.

people who used to run and gun on this game always did win anyway, now they just win by more because they've got the ideal weapon to do it :suicide:

2. JimboJambo86

JimboJambo86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you're just describing my exact style... and yes the mp40 is perfect for that, and yes i use that gun and only that gun :oops:

altho i may use the stg on cliffside or a sniper rifle, but only cliffside.
    i find if i use any other gun on other levels i do ****

edit- im giving myself no credit there i aint that bad, but my aim is to win everytime, and mp40 is most effective to my style

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    I'm going to disagree slightly, here. I think there are definitely balancing issues, as has been mentioned before; however, it doesn't give anyone an advantage, per se. It's unlocked at what - level 10? - so it's available to most people. If you choose not to use it, that's up to you. However, I don't agree it negates every other gun. I wouldn't dream of taking an MP40 on Seelow or Downfall, for example. The SVT will wee all over the MP40 on big maps, as will the Gewehr and the STG. I use the MP40 with steady aim and stopping power, but only on small maps. Otherwise, it's bolt actions and rifles all the way. And I personally find the DP-28 just as effective on the smaller maps. Powerful, steady, and a large clip right off the bat.

I think if you refuse to use the MP40 at all, then really, you're hanging yourself with your own rope. It is overpowered, but it's not an exclusive gun only unlocked at level 65 or something.

4. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Sorry I didn't mean advantage in a way that was unfair to others because most people have the option of the same gun but it does have an advantage over all other guns in most situations, that's what I was getting at.

Anyway, let's move this discussion forward - what could Treyarch do to balance the guns out more? Personally I think the MP40 should have a smaller clip, especially with Dual Magazines. The Thomson with the Drum on it is just right, enough to fire a good few bullets but you still need to reload fairly frequently.

I'd also either like to see the MP40's distance at range reduce / shooting distance OR the gun itself have less power, that way making it a more level playing field.

Also, rifles should be 3 shot kills, maybe 4 if they have Juggernaut and your only getting body shots and Bolt Action should 1 shot, maybe 2 if someone has Juggernaut and you only hit them in the body.

Chris.

5. Sherratt

Sherratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I actually prefer the type-100 and thompson to the MP40. Lol.

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Its not balance, but I would say only give it to people much later on in the game.

It could never happen now as its impossible to make these types of changes without a major game addon, which they aren't going to do as they are still fixing the initial glitches after three months of release.

But this would be the best way to sort it, so the beginners can get to grips with the Thompson, an average gun but definitely something good to learn the ropes with.

And then I would say to even give them the Type-100 second, not the MP40.

And give people the MP40 around level 45-50 and then maybe up the PPSH to level 60, or even vice versa.

This would give the people just starting a better grasp of the guns using the Thompson, and also once the MP40 does become available they are skilled enough to not be dependent on it.

When I have always thought about it, it just seems odd why they would give the games most powerful gun, as one of the first extra's.

It really should be one of the last.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    I prefer the Type-100 too, simply because of its reload speed and I just like the way its held so gives better viewable angles when aiming.

It does have much reduced distance when firing though compared to the MP40.

On a side note the Bar gun has to be the most ridiculous in that sense as when you aim it blocks your entire right side view.

I was having serious problems with it trying to do the challenges.

8. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I disagree with them giving it last but see where you are coming from, i.e guns should get better as you progress...

However that would mean someone who was new to the game would struggle along with a crap gun whilst people who had potentially played the game a lot would own them, lol.

Also, guns can be patched.

I remember on COD4 well the P90 getting a patch because you basically got Extreme Conditioning just by using it without selecting it as a Perk. This was later patched to reduce the advantage it gave.

There is no reason why WaW couldn't receive the same treatment with gun strenghts.

Treyarch have already stated they are doing a major title update in the coming months so this could be included.

9. bearman3784

bearman3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    im on level 50 something the first time round and think i must of used the mp40 for like 3 games in total! prefer the thompson if i had to choose a gun to like on waw

10. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    It's still an SMG though, same with the Type 100. They are all too good compared with a SVT / Gewer.

11. bearman3784

bearman3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    yeah my fav is the moisin nagganoonoo bolt rifle but not much point in using it in the common smg fests doh!

12. Stream62

Stream62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    I've got to say that I agree with some of Chris's sentiment here, the MP40 is quite powerful compared to other guns.

I have not played on core for an age and last time I got battered using a rifle or one of the Machine Guns. Last night I was playing Core FFA (in prep for the tournament) and whenever I used the MP40 I was holding my own much better than with any other gun. I even won a round, which was good for me in core. I ended up just using that gun.

Saying that I do think that the game needs and easy to use gun early on as it keeps it accessible for new players (i always think back to the M16 in COD4 here).

13. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    That's exactly what I think: the M16A was one of my fave guns in CoD4, and it was a starting weapon. You definitely need a good "entry-level" gun to keep it fair to new players, or those starting out again on prestige.

Going back to some of Chris's questions, I haven't really used the Thompson much with a drum, so I can't comment. I'm on a first prestige at the moment, and this time around I've largely ignored the other SMGs just because the MP40 rules all (I gave all the weapons a fair crack first time out). I don't have a problem with the standard clip size of the MP40, but perhaps Treyarch would equalise things if they removed the drum attachment altogether on MP40. The fact that it doesn't even replace Perk 1 is plain ridiculous.

I agree its power should be more limited at distance, but then it does kick a bit - I don't actually like the aperture sight on it for this reason. Therefore, to use the MP40 at distance requires short bursts, which means you need to be steady and accurate. And this, I would argue, still takes some skill.

14. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Yes but in my setup, that gun would be the Type-100.

That is in my opinion the easiest gun to use, and its the fastest reloader.

It has good power, and ok firing range.

This gun should have been unlocked first in my opinion.

15. Stream62

Stream62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Not tried either the Thompson or Type 100 in core for a long time, I will try both and see how I think they do against the MP40.

Slightly off on a tangent but in HC I think the Thompson is better due to the 'feel' and accuracy, but I am working my way through the gun challenges again so will try all again eventually.

16. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Very true but for me, the mp40 increases not only my kills but k/d ratio quite a lot.However,lately i choose to avoid it and use rifles.As mentioned before harcore modes do level things up a bit.

17. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The best way I have found to up your K:D ratio is to forget about the guns and just jump in the tank.

18. lord-dudester

lord-dudester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    ive had a good play with them all and as much as i love the ppsh and the fg42,i can help but go back to the mp40 with the big drum and double tap for pretty much all game modes (except S&D) it just really gets the job done

mp40... 60% of the time - it works every time !!! :D

19. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    This is purely my own opinion but the tanks are the worst addition to any Call of duty ,ever.Too much damage required to blow them up.Cheap easy boring kills from inside them.I hate them more than sprouts.