What's the point!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Chrisoldinho, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Rant of the day :devil:

Is there any point using any other gun other than an SMG. It's a complete joke that an SMG can kill you in 9/10 situations. Even if the enemy is across the map you can still if you fire in bursts have deadly accuracy. close range you don't even need to aim and from medium distances firing with the aim is more than enough to kill your enemy.

In particular i'm referring to the MP40, not because it's more powerful than the Thomson/Type 100, but because with Dual Magazines it never runs out of Ammo. Last night I got a 5 kill streak without reloading, no other gun can go for this long.

It takes the fun out of Sniping/using other weapons because if you want to win all you need to do is use the MP40 in most situations. It's so annoying that one gun is clearly better than all the others and whilst I love to use the Gewer, when it takes 4 bullets to kill someone and it's only a 1 bullet fire every time you pull the trigger gun, you often don't kill your enemy and then you need to reload. Bring on the MP40 with it's 800000000000000000 bullets in each round and your enemy is dead after just a few bullets!

:suicide:

2. JimboJambo86

JimboJambo86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    easily the MP40 is the best gun to use for all round situations, but i especially prefer using the sight rather than the extra ammo in a magazine. it would be better if it wasnt so damn good as it takes limited skill to shoot anyone close by. If everyone used this gun then it wouldnt be a problem tho would it, some prefer to snipe so stick with rifles, and some hate the inaccuracy of using the mp40.
    Distance is tricky with the mp40, i find you have to use it like a pistol to get long distance kills, shooting one bullet at a time, and that definately takes skill.

3. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I see where your coming from but I don't find it inaccurate. It's very accurate because even if not all bullets hit, after you've fired 10 or so your enemy is always dead because you've got them there or there abouts.

4. Billy Goodgun

Billy Goodgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,384
    I find the same problem with CoD5. I personally prefer using rifles or bolt action rifles. However, if I tried to use such guns on all maps, I'd end negative every time. So yes, I use the MP40, and I think it's the most versatile gun in the game. Steady aim and stopping power with the drum attachment means you don't have to reload ever, and you barely have to aim. It absolutely pwns on maps like Courtyard, Dome or Asylum.

But this weapon and these perks are all available to me, so I use them. I'd rather not, and I appreciate these sorts of set-ups can be overbearing on certain maps, but I have long since resigned myself to "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

As has been mooted elsewhere, the rifles are a better bet on hardcore matches, if you're happy to play in those playlists.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Hi Chrisoldinho,

I have one word to dispel your concerns.

FG42, you get it later on in the game, you may already have it if you are far along, and in my opinion its by far the best gun in the game by some way.

Its powerful, light, accurate, and rapid firing, so if someone comes at you head on with an MP40 and you have the FG42, 9/10 its you that comes out on top.

Probably even 9.9 times out of 10.

It reloads incredibly fast, and you can also attach a sniper scope to it for very long distance use.

This and the PPSH-41 are all I use once I hit the right level.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The fg42 is quite good but clip size is woeful.Reload after every kill.The mp40 with drum is far easier to get a string of kills.Certainly for me anyway.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Yeah, with this gun I make sure I have the Bandolier Perk active.

Its annoying if you like to have the Betty's, or if you are going on a level with Tanks and need the Bazooka, but if you can live without them, its a superb gun and cannot be equaled in terms of accuracy, stopping power and fire rate.

8. SilverSpider

SilverSpider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I agree with you Chrisoldinho, the MP40 is a great all rounder and on the lower ranks is the obvious choice for me with the STG-44 once unlocked.

Although as Anthony1uk states, once you get to later levels and more choice in guns. I always use the PPSH-41 with a drum as my SMG as its faster rate of fire will outgun an MP40 in most situations and I can even pick people off at distance using taps of the trigger button ... your points on the MP40 reload still stands though.

Billy Goodgun also makes some interesting and valid points about the rifles and bolt actions in CoD:WaW and how you feel you HAVE TO use an SMG at times if you don't want to always end the round 3-12 or thereabouts.

I do feel CoD4 has more of a balance with the weapons and being able to use 90% of the Guns on 90% of the maps and still be effective.

9. fcz

fcz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    my solution is..................

go back to cod4!!!

its much much better!!!:smashin:

10. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    But then you could also say as a solution, just play Left 4 Dead. :D

The only thing I really hate about COD WaW is how pathetic the bolt action rifles are.

The sniper guns in COD4 are much better and you don't feel like you are going on a suicide mission selecting them.

On Core and without the stopping power perk active, you need two shots to kill someone with a BA Rifle, which is absurd as they are a one shot weapon.

11. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I like the FG42, it's good. But you have to reload all the time, which means you sacrifice Perk 2 (usually stopping power or juggernaut) for Sleight of hand and then perk 1 for bandolier.

The MP40 doesn't need bandolier, you hardly ever reload which means you can use your other perks on things such a juggernaut, bouncing betty's etc.

I've prestiged 6 times round, currently on prestige 7 (so effectively played it through 8 times) so i've experienced every gun and tried every setting I can but nothing comes close IMO to the MP40 in terms of overall capability.

All IMO of course. I also don't like the fact your kind of pushed into playing HC if you want to use anything other than an SMG.

12. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    I`m not so sure mate. On cod4 i remember a game of FFA on Crash where I had the Last Stand perk. Someone on the roof of the 3 storey building hit me and put me into last stand. I somehow managed to kill the guy from a mile away on the ground with just a pistol. I almost gave myself a hernia laughing when it happened. I imagine the poor sap that I hit wasn`t too impressed! :rotfl:

13. bazzabing

bazzabing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I like sniping, however if the other team has juggernaut OR last stand on and they are all running and gunning it can be nigh impossible, to put one of them down, especially if they are breakdancing about the map.

So yes the smgs are overpowered, and the mp40 is probably the best all round gun in the game.

14. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i personally ain't too bothered what guns people choose to use, but i think it just gets bloody boring when everyone is using the mp40. It was the same thing with cod4, most guys would use the p90 as its the easiest gun to get kills with and now in cod5 you have mp40. I think it just comes down to that everyone wants to come top or show their friends they have the most kills, so the easiest way todo it is, to pull out the mp40.

15. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Not I, I much prefer the STG-44 and the Type 100. Anyone would think the Mp40 auto-locks and fires at targets. The person using and aiming the gun is as important as the weapon if you ask me :D

16. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The other thing I don't like.

As in other than the terribleness of the BA Rifles.

Is when you go into Hardcore Free For all (which is my level to get the harder gun challenges completed).

Or Hardcore TDM/War

And you have some pathetic rifle, or the Trench Gun. (The Double Barrel is quite a good gun, but the Trench gun a waste of space IMHO)

And after dying you see people running around with the most powerful Sub Machine Guns.

Obviously people can choose whatever gun they like, but in hardcore its not even a competition as one shot from a submachine gun kills you, and these things just allow you to spray in any direction and you will find you've been lucky enough to get a kill you didn't even aim at.

The Hardcore should have some kind of stopping power reduction on the rapid fire guns to make it a more even playing field.

Or at the very least ban them to make it Rifle and Shotgun only, that actually would be a fun hardcore game.

17. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Would agree with the points regarding the SMG's on normal mode, hence the reason I play HC all the time. Gives you a chance to use different guns and its a bit more covert.

18. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    in hardcore search and distroy you do see a more of a variety in terms of the guns used. However, i've played just over a day of hardcore search and distroy and have only seen a handful of guys using bolt action rifles with out scope, most either use smg's or rifles.

19. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    yeah true, but most guys who only use automatic weapens, shoot first then drag there aim over the target, while they still have their right trigger firmly pressed, hence they miss with there first few shots. So yes, they do aim, but their aim ain't nothing to boast about.

20. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    LOL, neither is mine when I`ve had a few JD & Cokes :rotfl:

21. JimboJambo86

JimboJambo86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    yeh but lag plays a big part in cod online, u can be the most accurate shooter out there, but if your lagging when you make a shot, it wont make a difference if your hitting the guy or not... 9/10 it wont register. At least with an MP40 you will hit the guy eventually which combats the problem with lag, for me anyway.

22. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    don't worry mate, my aim's crap and it don't make a difference what i've had, :D.

23. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    true mate, i hate the lag in cod5, i think cod4 was better at handling lag then cod5.

24. Jake101

Jake101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PPSH is inferior to the MP40 in all ways apart from the fire rate, everything else the MP40 dominates it.

25. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Disagree, specifically with firing at people over long distances, the MP40 dances around and you can't keep it steady.

The PPSH remains much more steady allowing you to aim better.

However the FG42 remains even more steady again making it great for long or short distance firing.

Just its low magazine bullet numbers hurt it.

26. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Best statement of the day...100% true.

But even though it fires faster it's less powerful. The MP40 with Stopping Power on a headshot is pretty much 1 bullet, and it can hold more ammo than any other gun in it's clip. I don't even bother with Stopping Power it's that powerful. I just stick with Juggernaut.

The FG42 is a good gun, take nothing away from it. As is the PPSh and I reguarly do the gun challenges. However in terms of day to day Gameplay once i've done these guns the MP40 simply owns all the other guns for me anyway, and I know a lot of other people also agree hence the reason everyone uses it. I also think if you carefully "burst" fire the MP40 it is accurate at distance.

Chris.

27. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    The MP40 annoys me less than the STG-44. At least with the MP40 there is a realistic range - If you're being shot by an MP40 and you move/go prone over anything like a long range you will usually survive. The STG really does make all other long range weapons useless.

28. evans_69

evans_69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is why the mp 40 is the noobs gun. just shoot the blimmin thing wherever you want and get kills... people say they use it cause its the best gun.... whats the fun in that i get far more satisfaction shooting someome with the svt or the kar98.... pm me for anyone with rifle only clans or fun matches... cheers.

29. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I would be up for that! trying to do some of the challenges, not easy when your getting butchered by mp40s etc. My kill/death is taking a kicking.
    Start a post on COD5 rifle only ill join!

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Personally I think people are getting carried away with the "MP40 = people with no skill getting loads of kills". That sounds so snobbish and it's so untrue.

I think there are possibly balance issues with some of the weapons - most notably the bolt actions which are next to useless if people have juggernaut. With a springfield last night it took 3 hits to kill one guy...I mean come on! But anyway, ref the MP40, everyone has their preference and this probably is the best SMG in the game, but it certainly has its weaknesses.

The MP40 isn't good over long distances, and it jumps all over the place on long bursts...many other guns are better in this regard. But if you have no skill, you have no skill. Using the MP40 doesn't make anyone a "better" player. Proof is in the pudding as they say, just look at the scoreboard at the end of a game - there are many people armed with MP40s who end up at the bottom of the tables.