1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the point watching old films?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sir Geoffrey, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Sir Geoffrey

Sir Geoffrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent thousands of pounds on my home cinema set up I cant see the point of wasting it by watching old films.

Sure, I have a lot of older pro-logic only films that I used to like but I can be bothered watching them anymore.

What would be the point of owning a system that decodes the latest sound formats just to watch pro-logic or even mono stuff:confused:

My new girlfriend and I watched The Haunting the other night. It has DTS 6.1 sound and the effects were very good. I admit the film was fairly poor but at least my rear speakers got a good work out.

I really do prefer films that exercise my system to the full:)

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the main point in watching a film is to watch the film itself

not the sound

what is the point in watching pants film just because they have DTS 6.1 ?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right ! What's the point of Citizen Kane, or To Kill a Mockingbird or Strangers on a Train ? What's the point of watching silent (!) Chaplin films ? Why bother yourself with anything over two years old ? Come to think of it, what's the point of anything from the '50's, '60's and '70's ? Right ?

You twit.

Mike.

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yup!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still, I think my comment was a bit, er, strong. Just twigged my kneejerk twit-response. Sorry.

I think this may be a troll though. Shirley, that can't be a serious question ? Unless the poster is twelve, the "thousands of pounds" HC is a 14" portable TV/Video combo, and the "girlfriend" is a teddy bear (?).

Mike.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't think it was strong at all

well deserved

by the was went to Uni in hull, nice uni, but hull itself

what a poo hole

7. Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I haven't tried these new extended surround formats I would like to know if it was just the rear speaker that got a good workout the other night.

8. Sir Geoffrey

Sir Geoffrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasnt expecting such an angry response:eek:
    It just makes no sense to me to watch older films that cannot utilise my sound system to the full.

As for Bob the Builder's crude suggestion, I would point out that Mary and I have only known each other for a couple of months and it is far too early to even think about that sort of thing.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was exasperated rather than angry. And I don't think BtheB was necessarily being crude, was he (?).

So let's rescue things: if you're bothered about listening to your sound system rather than enjoying a film then you took a wrong turning somewhere.

Now then, go and rent Rear Window.

Mike.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what happens from time to time when someone posts a difference in the way they want to watch their movies and what movies they watch.

I myself can't stand the older movie, the b/w ones are the worse, because I haven't bought a colour TV to sit and watch a b/w movie.

You sit and watch the Longest Day, in b/w I think and probably mono, then watch Saving Private Ryan, I know which I would prefer.

Hope you have many hours of top viewing, and I thought the response rather rude myself.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You obviously prefer audo and video electronics to films. Why not buy a selection dolby digital/dts trailers and watch them?

I would think there are two types of av enthusiasts.

1) people who like to listen to cool sound effects in the highest quality

2) people who want to watch *films* (no matter how many colours or surround channels) as intended by the director.

But your willing to waste it by watching pants films?

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    you can't help some people!

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You forgot one.

The av enthusiast who can't stand it when someone elses taste differs to there's.

I rest my case. :D

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be some truth in what Sir Geoffrey is saying, although he has obviously taken it to the extreme.

If you doubt this, just think whether you'd buy a movie with a fresh DD5.1 or DTS mix or stick with the version that has only the original mono track ;)

15. Geoffrey Shrek

Geoffrey Shrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are being very rude to a newbie. Are you Ian J in disguise :)

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    Well, why do people buy films that are rubbish, but have nice sound effects?

Easy, so they can show off to their mates, and say, "wow, doesn't this sound good?"

Wouldn't have the same effect as a film in dolby digital mono, would it?

Mind you, these are the type of people who buy hi-fi according to how many flashing lights it has!!

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This must be one of those new systems your on about, you can watch the sound waves on this one. :D

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of upsetting a few people I would suggest that the majority of regulars in DVD Talk forum fall into this category. At least once a week someone starts a thread about favourite films and they are all noisy blockbuster types that are mentioned.

How many posts have you seen by people who won't buy a DVD if it doesn't have DTS sound.

I think that Sir Geoffrey is saying what many others feel but won't commit to print for fear of being called a philistine.

Apologies to Lex, Pooch Squirrel God and others who really do like their films.

19. Sir Geoffrey

Sir Geoffrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last thing I want to do is be controversial, but the same thing goes for flash cars like Feraris or a Lexus doesnt it:confused:

A person buys such a car for the thrills, rather than popping down to the Asda for some milk and bread. A Vauxhall Corsa is more than capable of getting from A to B. But would it impress anyone:confused: I think not

20. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that's how you feel you might as well get a bike.

21. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can thouroughly recommend cycling actually:) I took it up two and a half years ago and I feel great:D

Obviously the episodes of impotence, catching pneumonia and being hit by crazed motorists on a regular basis mean its not for everyone.:(

Oh sh*t, I have deviated:( :blush: :(

22. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if I want to watch an old b/w film that's only in this format I want it to be in the best quality I can. my 6.1 amp. and 36" t.v. will do this as well as it will do any modern blockbuster that I also want to watch/hear in quality, just watch what pleases you or just get a radio.

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main basis of buying a film has to be the film itself, the sound only helps the overall quality and feel to the film

i can completely understand buying films you like with DTS

buy i really do not see the point in buying pants films just because they show off your sound system

i just think that is simply ludicrious :confused:

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's very wrong, the degree of wrongness depending upon what you mean by "many".

Incidentally, there is a significant, and obvious, difference between a Film enthusiast and an A/V enthusiast.

Mike.

25. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are many excellent old films. I don't have as many of my favorites as I should do but I am now remedying that.

When you spend a lot of money on your AV gear you do tend to buy films to show it off in the beginning, for me that’s wearing off. It is a case ooooh look what it can do, did you hear that bit, wasn't the bass amazing.

A lot of classic old films have been spoiled a bit by the remixing to a 5.1 soundtrack. So I think some should be left alone unless it's done right. To say old films are not worth watching is a bit of a funny statement to make really, as old depends on your definition of it. If that’s the case you won't want the Star Wars trilogy on DVD when it comes out. It's an old film that’s been tarted up a bit has a 5.1 soundtrack but it's still old.

Everybody is entitled to there own opinion as to what there like to watch. I'll bet there are some older films you like, maybe the Italian Job, most people have a soft spot for it.

26. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    All the 'technology' is only there to act as a window to the television series or movie that one chooses to watch - be it on DVD, Laserdisc, or, :eek:, vhs (yeah, ok, v2000 or betamax too :p)

I suggest those who only watch things that are shiny and new in order to show off their kit: buy a test disc and watch that all evening - it'll show your amp/speakers/display device to perfection.

27. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    New technology is a double edge sword. It spoils us and can prejudice people against older material.

I know people that have turned a film off because it was "black and white" or because "it was old and won't have any decent violence". It's very sad really.

I think you can be both a film buff/movie fan and an A/V enthuiast. It just requires a sense of perspective and compromise.

I enjoyed the vacuous spectacle of "Behind Enemy Lines" recently, and revelled in the clarity of the picture and the bowel shattering work out my sound system had.

But I also enjoyed the scratchy, black and white, mono charm of "Oh Mr. Porter"" and "Night Of The Demon", to name but two examples.

If you take a trip to the National Portrait gallery, you'll find some old paintings, that despite loving care, are tarnishing, fading and cracking with age. Yet, this does not diminish their beauty and power. Real art transcends the physical trappings of it's medium.

And on that pompous note, I shall disappear up my own arse.

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just find the title of this thread really offensive...isnt it just a stupid question. As stupid as saying what the point in watching new movies. Dont mean to offend anyone but I'm pretty damn passionate about films and find it offensive that someone would choose a sound format above content.

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :eek: :mad: :( :rolleyes: :confused: ....Nuff Said!

30. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I heard there's a new DTS range of the old silent films coming out, hiss like you've never heard levelled before - I can't wait.
    Whether films are old or new is irrelevant to the extent that if they are done well, who cares. Films are like music in that they have a place outside of production time in itself but in time with mood.