1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point unless it's PAL prog?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ste_d73, Jan 2, 2005.

1. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all..bit of a newbie, just wanna clear something up before I help my bro buy an all in one system.
    My brother has a plasma with component inputs. These will accept prog scan. However I have recently learnt that getting a DVD player with prog scan output is not good enough. It needs to be "PAL progressive". There only seems to be a few PAL progressive all in ones out there,amongst them the JVCTHS8.

My question is this. All the DVD players out there that offer progressive scan,not PAL progressive, can still be hooked up to a plasma's component inputs, but does it give a good quality picture if it is not a PAL progressive machine?
    If not I really don't understand the point of a standard prog scan output on a DVD player meant for the UK region 2 market. Ie if it won't give prog scan on a PAL disc what's the point in having it?

I hope I've made myself clear. Hope someone can help me understand better.
    Cheers.... :smashin:

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Component feed without progressive in most cases is still excellent.A lot does depend on the dvd players ability to produce a good interlaced signal.Toshiba machines are very good at this.I have a toshiba340e and sometimes struggle to see any difference between the two scanning formats.

3. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So am I right to say that ideally my bro should get a DVD player with PAL prog output, but a regular component output will still provide superior images to a RGB scart connection..?
    Your help is much appreciated. :D

4. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your TV/panel may have better deinterlacing than the DVD player!
    I just bought a Toshiba SD-241E DVD player (£55!) and its progressive PAL is not as good as my Toshiba LCDs built-in deinterlacer. (Progressive gives a slightly sharper result, but some flicker in areas of the picture.)
    However the 241Es component output is still very, very good in interlaced form, giving the panel a good material to deinterlace! (Note: The SCART mustn't be connected simultaneously with the component leads with this player! It affects the picture dramatically.)

Your other question: A film sourced DVD has interlaced fields (half frames) that come from the same frame of the film. So deinterlacing will actually restore a single full resolution frame (so it is progressive!).

For excellent technical information see:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

5. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate much appreciated..